Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Mid output jacks output a full range signal

jajobajajoba Posts: 3
edited June 2011 in PA Connectivity
Is it possible to make the Mid output jacks output a full range signal ? If so how is this set up?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    It would have been helpful to have more information... which indicates that you didn't check out the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section.. on the front page of the forum...

Anyway...since the DRPX doesn't have a mid out and since you posted in the DRPA PX index... (see had to do WAY to much thinking on this already :mrgreen: )

Here is a thread in the FAQ section that might shed some light on the subject:

Oh and the answer is yes...

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2228

Here I discuss how the DRPA can provide tops, subs and a monitor feed...

Is that what you needed?
    G
  • Options
    jajobajajoba Posts: 3
    Sorry-I'll try this again - I'm wanting to run 3 JBL jrx 112m speakers as full range monitors (in a practice space) powered by 2 QSC GX5 anps - So I need to make the high & mid output jacks of a DRPA output a full range signal if possible. How can I set this up?
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You're letting words get in the way of meaning.

Set up a 2x6 or a 1x6. to do this select "custom" speakers... Bi-amp... with custom subs.

Open up each filter (x-over HI, x-over MID) and adjust the frequencies to "full range".

DRA
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    All the info that you requested was in Gadget's reply, by the way.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    To add to what Dra said... you have no LPF on the Hi outs, but you do have an HPF

The Mid and sub outputs have various HPF AND LPF filter slopes

To achieve "fullrange sound (which you DON"T WANT for monitors anyway...see below) you simply set the HPF (lowest point you want the speakers to go)and LPF (highest point you want the monitor speakers to go) where you want them.

Note: for monitors, you will have a MUCH easier time with stage volume and low end muddiness if you set the HPF @ 130hz (or even higher) and limit the LPF@ somewhere closer to 10-12Khz since a lot of that high end stuff is lost, and or not necessary..and can typically causes that high end squeal type feedback

It would therefore be better to run (2) (you will only get 2 mixes..) mixes off the mid and low outs... however, you get 3 PEQ's with the Highs that will allow you to high shelf the High outs and effectively add a pseudo LPF to the high outs...

Also, a PEQ set @ about 300hz will help with indoor howl and muddiness as well. I typically set a fairly broad Q (to cover 250 hz to 500 hz) (normally with more PEQ's a more specific cut, or cuts could be used, but in this case we have only 2 to work with)

As I indicated you will have only 2 mixes, if you have 3 monitors, 2 will share a mix..

Gadget