Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Yorkville ls608 tuning

jculb69jculb69 Posts: 13
Can you post the crossover, PEQ, etc. tuning for the Yorkville ls608 subs from the Driverack PA+? I have a Driverack 260 and noticed that they are now supplied for the Driverack PA+, but I do not have access to that unit to see what they are. I'm using the subs with a QSC PLX 3602 and either JBL MP415s or MRX512Ms for tops. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    To get a reasonable starting point we would need to know what amp you are using for the tops...the amount of power (or lack there of) affects where the xover point is.

Yorkville is on my S H I T list for not EVER providing any speaker tunings, or even responding to quires about the subject...for that reason I believe dbx simply formulated the xover point ... which I can look up on mine but I could easily give you one with the amp info...

G
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am running in mono. I am using a QSCPLX3602 -- one channel feeds into the mains, which are JBL MP415s (1250watts at 4ohms 0.1% THD). The other channel feeds into two monitors. For the Yorkville ls608 subs, I am using another QSC PLX3602 with one sub going to each channel (775watts at 8ohm 0.1% THD).

I know what you mean. I tried contacting them about getting some specs, and nothing.

Again, Thanks so much.

Gadget wrote:
    To get a reasonable starting point we would need to know what amp you are using for the tops...the amount of power (or lack there of) affects where the xover point is.

Yorkville is on my S H I T list for not EVER providing any speaker tunings, or even responding to quires about the subject...for that reason I believe dbx simply formulated the xover point ... which I can look up on mine but I could easily give you one with the amp info...

G
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I had Elite SW800's (LS808) and have the Unity UCS1's. Yorkville makes a processor for all their Elite and Unity full range cabs. Guess what, the curves provided for the subs (regardless which Elite or UCS sub you have with whatever top cab processor) is the same. The only thing that is alterable (depending on the sub model) is the x-over frequency and the delay time selection. If you look at the graphs (any) in the manual it will give you an idea of how to set up the PEQ's and x-over.

DRA
  • Options
    Thank you!

http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/manu ... cessor.pdf

(Looking at table on page 3)
    Interesting that they have the ls608 crossed at 115hz when using the ep1215, which I believe is the one you are supposed to use with their E15 speakers, (which is somewhat comparable to the JBL MP415s).

(Looking at chart on page 15)
    Trying to make sense out of the Subwoofer plot for dialing in a PEQ -- They have lines for "Subwoofer OUT", "Subwoofer IN", "sub min 90hz", and "sub max 150hz" -- which plot(s) should I follow for tweaking the PEQ, based upon this chart?

Thanks!

Dra wrote:
    I had Elite SW800's (LS808) and have the Unity UCS1's. Yorkville makes a processor for all their Elite and Unity full range cabs. Guess what, the curves provided for the subs (regardless which Elite or UCS sub you have with whatever top cab processor) is the same. The only thing that is alterable (depending on the sub model) is the x-over frequency and the delay time selection. If you look at the graphs (any) in the manual it will give you an idea of how to set up the PEQ's and x-over.

DRA
  • Options
    The "sub out" line is what the processor does to the low end of the top cab when not using a sub (boost at 70hz, fast drop on the low side and mor gradual on the high side. That is done by combining PEQ's of different hz and using diferent Q's. The using the LPF to aid the drop off.) Yorville reconmmends a x-over frez of 115hz with a single 12" or 15". I use 100hz with my E12's.
    The 2 curves (min 90hz and max 150hz) are what the processor is doing at those 2 x-over points (vaiable control on the processor). At 115hz is would be somewhere in between. The sloser you get to 90hz, the less the higher PEQ is required to alter the high side slope.

DRA
  • Options
    This is really helpful! Dra, I did some digging and found a post by you from a couple of years ago in which you recommend crossover and PEQ settings for your Yorkville subs (see below). Is this what you still recommend?

For F3 and F4 on the PEQ you said, "Same as above". Do these need to be set at all, if they are the same as F2?

Also what dB should I set the Gain on the crossover with these subs and power amp (QSC PLX3602 775watts per sub) Thanks.

2 Way Set-up E12 (Passive + sub)

X-over: Low
    47.5 hz BW 24
    100 hz LR 24

PEQ Low: Hz Db Q (Yorkville)
    F1 47.5 +4 2.03
    F2 60 +2 5.71
    F3 Same as above
    F4 Same as above

Dra wrote:
    The "sub out" line is what the processor does to the low end of the top cab when not using a sub (boost at 70hz, fast drop on the low side and mor gradual on the high side. That is done by combining PEQ's of different hz and using diferent Q's. The using the LPF to aid the drop off.) Yorville reconmmends a x-over frez of 115hz with a single 12" or 15". I use 100hz with my E12's.
    The 2 curves (min 90hz and max 150hz) are what the processor is doing at those 2 x-over points (vaiable control on the processor). At 115hz is would be somewhere in between. The sloser you get to 90hz, the less the higher PEQ is required to alter the high side slope.

DRA
  • Options
    I can't remember if that was hard data from the DRPA / 260 that I had, or if it was playing with the GUI and just doing a visual on the graph. Maybe you should do that . Down load the GUI for the 260 and play with the numbers.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks. I will try that. It would be interesting to see if DBX's preset on the PA+ match Yorkville's specs on that table/chart.

Regarding that last question, do you have a recommendation on what the gain on the crossover should be with these subs and power amp (QSC PLX3602 775watts per sub)?

Dra wrote:
    I can't remember if that was hard data from the DRPA / 260 that I had, or if it was playing with the GUI and just doing a visual on the graph. Maybe you should do that . Down load the GUI for the 260 and play with the numbers.

DRA
  • Options
    I would set the 3602 (I have that on my subs also) at 1 or 2 o'clock (if I remember right). Just do a gain structure. Then dial back the the other channel until the tops are nicely ballanced wit the subs. That way you can leave the x-over gains at -o-.

Betcha that there is no PEQ adjustment in the Driverack info. Only x-over.

DRA
  • Options
    I will try this. Thanks.
  • Options
    Dra, one more quick question, do you bridge your 3602 with your subs or just run one in each channel?
  • Options
    I just run stereo mode. Since I do DJ, "talent show" (typically vocals and trax), and convention type work, I have way plenty of sound.

DRA
  • Options
    DRA, How do you like those UCS1s? Are you able to load/unload, etc. by yourself or do you have help?

Dra wrote:
    I just run stereo mode. Since I do DJ, "talent show" (typically vocals and trax), and convention type work, I have way plenty of sound.

DRA
  • Options
    I tell you this I wouldn't add the 4dB @ 47.5 hz without a pretty convincing reason...That could well be a point the subs are pretty efficient, but the added gain could well cause amp exhaustion, voice coil heating or over excrusion...

I find that with my front loaded subs that there is an efficiency bump between 55-60hz, horn loaded (or in the case of some of the yorkville..semi-horn loaded the bump could be lower )

Regardless, looks like they fall off drastically below 50hz I would suspect the mechanical limits might get affected much below 45 hz BW 18...

Me I use LABsubs on my bigger gigs, and they are AWESOME :shock:
    g
  • Options
    I like them a lot. They have good punch and thud. They are also very low profile when on their sides. The 47hz thing... It drops off pretty quickly because the processor adds in proper low pass filtering. From the looks of the curve (and my tests) that it is just part of "building the shape of the bump". I know it sounds weird on paper, but somehow Yorkville seems to make their stuff last forever (seemingly).

DRA
  • Options
    Is there a frequency graph of the ls608 anywhere out there on the web? Seems like I saw one posted somewhere at one point, but now I can't seem to find it.
  • Options
    Not an unprocessed one to my knowledge...the ONLY thing I've seen is the processor plots in the manuals DRA listed...again BAD behavior for a manufacturer... reminiscent of another legendary "smoke and mirrors" company like "Blose" better sound through marketing!
  • Options
    Maybe PSW. I have seen a lot of Smart traces there for various subs.

DRA
  • Options
    Here are the curves for the ls808 and ucs1s sent from Yorkville. Haven't found the ls608s, yet.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.p ... msg_380153

Dra wrote:
    Maybe PSW. I have seen a lot of Smart traces there for various subs.

DRA