Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Inputting EAW processor settings into 260 some conflicts

BTproductionsBTproductions Posts: 86
edited September 2011 in 200 Series General Discussion
EAW calls for a bandwidth setting. There is none that I can see in the 260 software so I assume I forget it? The 260 has bell, high shelf, low shelf, high/low shelf. I did some reading on what those are but which one should I use? The 325's crossover settings for mid/hi is (hpf 177 lpf 1600) the low is (hpf 30 or 100 bi-amp and lpf433). The mid/hi really supposed to come down to 177? Shouldn't it crossover where the lows drop in lpf? I know running a sub this would be so but with a fullrange speaker I guess I don't.

Thanks -Mark

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    What your looking at are bi-amp specs... but they just don't make ANY sense at all...I can see running the 15" in the 325's up to 433 hz where the 6.5" take over from there ( there is also a passive xover from the 6.5's to the horn ) but there is no way a split from 177hz to 433hz is gonna work...everything from 177-433hz would be missing...

In some instances we leave a small gap in the xover region to help with linearity.. but NEVER that much...

I thought you were running fullrange any way? well.. 2x4...subs and tops...

Again, depending on how much power you have..you can cross the tops as low as 70-75 hz.. but the less power you have the the higher the crossover point should be.. this way you can get the most out of your speakers... the caveat here is if your running 2 way.. the lower you go the muddier the midrange/vocals low mids are going to be as the woofer fights to reproduce the lower frequencies (think massive cone movement on the low frequencies masking the mid range frequencies that don't require nearly as much...) Your La325's however have a smaller cone midrgane (dual 6.5") to do from the 433hz area to the 2k area where the horn takes over...

G
  • Options
    No theres not a gap but rather an overlap! Here take a look

http://eaw.com/info/EAW/Processor_Setti ... S_rev2.pdf

Anyway I got it all setup and ready to do gain structure and hit it with music to find my one 325 has a crossover issue :( In bi-amp it has no mi/hi coming out but in fullrange it works as should so checked every connection and all looks well it must be a broken crossover. The risk you run buying used but I only paied 2K for them. I'll set them up fullrange for now thats how the previous owner ran them but idk about the owner before him. Temproarily solves the crossover issue anyway!

-Mark
  • Options
    I see what you mean...can't believe I missed that... I've been doing Cajun fest this week and I'm ready to fall over dead and I think I'll puke if I hear one more version of the same song..and it's all day... every day ... this all has the same beat .. the same sound.. and all the bands play the same songs over and over and over ad nauseam...

Oh well I'm down to 3 1/2 hours and then I can tear down and go home to MY bed...

I would sure like to know what EAW has to say about that overlap... I mean JBL does it too but it's never that broad an overlap. Only thing I can think of is that the woofers have a big dip in the response that they are trying to make up for. I wish I could find a picture of the back of the speaker...

G
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    EAW calls for a bandwidth setting.

I may have overlooked it but I didn't see this answered.....EAW lists both Bandwidth and Q. You use one OR the other, NOT both. It depends on which feature the DSP (DR260 in this case) offers
  • Options
    Only thing on the back is two speakon inputs and the pin configuration for fullrange and bi-amp. Full is pin 1 bi-amp is pin 1 for low pin 2 mid/hi. I'm gonna check and see if I had a cable mixed up or pins in a configuration on the plugs I was in aware of. Maybe the crossover isnt broken.

I set my peq using bell is that correct?
  • Options
    Yes. Bell curve unless a shelf is required...and then it will give a slope and a frequency for the shelf.

Wasn't your gig last night? If so how did it go?

There must be an internal switch that senses the pin 2+and 2- and reroutes the inputs.. is one connector labeled "bi-amp" and the other fullrange? or are both just parallel?

G
  • Options
    Went back through everything and found the new QSC PLX1802 isn't putting out on the pin 2 on output channel 2. Simple temporary fix make one end of the cable pin 1. Yes there is a toggle switch between fullrange and bi-amp but it works so yay back to a tri amp setup!
  • Options
    Oh and no this weekend was just setup, sound check next weekend it's on! I did successfully piss off the one neighbor even though I only played at full volume once for maybe 10min!!! He's complained about my home subs for years now tho so idk what he thought. I obviously wasn't throwing an outside party at 8pm with concert level music! lol
  • Options
    Ok found the answer to the crossover settings on the old EAW forum. That overlap is correct and the internal crossover takes care of the rest. Here: http://forums.eaw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultim ... 013#000000

Another question raised which I didn't bother much with is the -20db on peq 3 @ 545hz. The 260 only does -12 so do I just leave it at that of should I change the frequency or Q to accomidate the curve they want there?

Also if I crossover lower to the subs say 75hz like you suggested should I input PEQ1 settings on the lows? I can't see how it would hurt having it there anyway.

Lastly I noticed when running the GEQ wizard it tries to compensate for the cutoff in the highs at 16k. It starts a curve upwards what should I do with that just bring it down to 0db or my liking?

Thanks -Mark
  • Options
    OklaPonyOklaPony Posts: 48
    Went back through everything and found the new QSC PLX1802 isn't putting out on the pin 2 on output channel 2. Simple temporary fix make one end of the cable pin 1. Yes there is a toggle switch between fullrange and bi-amp but it works so yay back to a tri amp setup!
    <disclaimer> I need preface this post by saying that it's been more than a dozen years since I worked on these systems...

In the "for what it's worth" department... I used to have a club gig where there was a pair of these hung sideways for the mains. The room was simply awful; all brass, glass, wood, 15 ft. tin ceiling, about 25' wide, about 70' long with a half loft at the back. I ran the system mono / biamped with a simple 18db/oct. EV-Tapco X-over. Bottoms were powered with a PV1200 bridge mono ea. while the mid/high was powered with a Crown 800CSL in normal stereo (dual mono?). I honestly can't remember the x-over point I used but it was probably in keeping with EAW's recommended setting. I had everything from solo acoustic guitar acts to punk bands to Jack Ingram. Often times I had to run them hard, particularly the low end since there were no subs, and they performed astonishingly well. We never blew one single component in the 4 years I managed the system.

On the other hand I did some troubleshooting / repair work on another club system that had 4 of these flown in conjunction with 4 2X18 front load subs on the floor, all powered by Crown Microtechs (or maybe Macs, can't remember). Whoever set the system up left no safeguards in place whatsoever and some unscrupulous sound person had smoked 3 of the 4 crossover networks in the LA's along with 5 of the 8 mid speakers plus 2 of the horn drivers. That was a wicked repair bill! I ended up adding the appropriate PIP card/cards to match the system requirements in hopes it would extend the life of the new components, which it did.

All that was to get to these points:
    1. It's all about the setup and who's pushing the buttons.
    2. I wish to God I had the benefit of the DR stuff back then, it would have made my life SO much easier!

Incidentally, those little midrange drivers were the exact same component that Peavey used in their SP3G cabs.
  • Options
    I unexpectedly ran into a system today that included two LA325s and two EAW dual 18 subs. I had to tech this system on site and didn't have an opportunity to do my homework. Because of this long running conversation we have been having about the 325s, I finally remembered the strange hi-pass and lo-pass filters as well as big overlap xo setting. I set the DR260 xo as close to the exact EAW settings as I could and rolled my own EQ settings with the aid of SMAART. Considering a good portion of this job was not something you would do on site and I was a bit rushed for time, I was quite pleased with the results.
  • Options
    Morning Dennis!
    Would you consider the "home rolled" eq settings room dependent in this case or more general tuning tweaks and or corrections...

And what were the general problem areas?
    G
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    Morning Dennis!
    Would you consider the "home rolled" eq settings room dependent in this case or more general tuning tweaks and or corrections...

And what were the general problem areas?
    G

The venue was outdoors. 90% of my EQ settings were of the baseline variety, doing close mic'ing of the cabinet under test. Toward the end of this procedure, the mix engineer and I spent about 10 or 15 minutes doing some balancing of the system for the venue. My focus was on the SMAART screen rather than the DriveWare screen so I was paying more attention to the results than to the frequencies I was EQing to obtain those results. One thing I did notice was a high end +20dB bump 16K to 19K that I had to tame with a high shelf. Something I don't see every day.
  • Options
    Just wanted to drop in real quick and say thanks again to you guys. This past weekend went off without a hitch and sounded amazing! I'm quite more than pleased with the system. It was well beyond my expectations for low end and we we're outside. Still wanting to pack on a pair or two more LA400's and something like a 118z to get the 325's up more but for now it can wait a bit as funds are gone but this system is incredibly loud for it's size. BTW I didn't even tell you all this was for a renegade stage in the woods at an already going on festival with two stages it's self the main one of which just so happened to be an EAW system with KF850EF mains powered with the older PLX2 amps. Oh and we ran off 2 honda 2000w 13.3amp generators and I'm wondering if we could have with just one cause the one my power conditioner was pluged into wasn't even dipping in volts much at all and we had over 120v by two yellow lights to start with. Darn now I wish I would have tried to see while I had them rented. Not gonna do that again anytime soon if ever again tho. Time to start making some real money with real power on the weekends now that I'm at a more comfortable level with this system. Keep pecking at it with tweaks as I read on here more but got a long few weeks ahead of me working on some G-code programming CNC to make the new "DQ Kid's cone" molds for work @ Joy Cone :D
  • Options
    MctwinsMctwins Posts: 113
    [/quote]

One thing I did notice was a high end +20dB bump 16K to 19K that I had to tame with a high shelf. Something I don't see every day.[/quote]

Sorry for Hi-jacking the thread but
    I have similar result when using PostPEQ on my 260 when using settings for my Screen Arrays. If one check out the JBL Cinema settings for 3632 bi-amp and take a look at the post PEQ setting there is a cut of -4 dB at 6k and boost of 11 dB at 16k with there additional Q value. I can see this when doing my room measurment, the bump in freq respnse. When not in use there is nice flat out to 16k Hz with an natural roll of after that.

Can someone explain this to me why there have to be this bump in PEQ coming from JBL.

I asume that this have to do with screen compensation and air loss inside the cinemas.

Thanks
  • Options
    My guess would be a horn resonance @ 6k and an attempt to get the horns to respond up to 18k where most other systems measure to...or at least claim to be able to do...Mike Kovach once measured a pair of brand new SRX 722's and he said they couldn't even do 12.5k (one even had the wrong driver in it right out of the box) JBL sent 2 new drivers and they were no better...pretty crappy when you consider they claim -3dB @ 20khz... :roll: :oops:

G
  • Options
    MctwinsMctwins Posts: 113
    Gadget wrote:
    My guess would be a horn resonance @ 6k and an attempt to get the horns to respond up to 18k where most other systems measure to...or at least claim to be able to do...Mike Kovach once measured a pair of brand new SRX 722's and he said they couldn't even do 12.5k (one even had the wrong driver in it right out of the box) JBL sent 2 new drivers and they were no better...pretty crappy when you consider they claim -3dB @ 20khz... :roll: :oops:

G

Yes, but without this setting my freq response is even better measured in my room. So this means that my twetter are in good shape :D . Just wanted to know why, that's all.

Even my PRX measures well in the higher freq. :D

Thanks