Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

A little far out there EAW question

BTproductionsBTproductions Posts: 86
Ok so after two successful weekends and with my system still sitting in the garage I decided to see how my 325's would sound without subs and made a program for it. To my horrior when I cranked them up and had the bass coming out them like I never had before I hear what sounds like my grill rattling on one of the speakers. A closer listen and disection find the bottom woofer with a VC rubbing. Lucky I have a pair of difinimax's in my fr159z's which I only use as monitors now so I swapped them out and will run this weekend with just the one monitor pushing some bass with the good 325 woofer and the bad one just in there to keep the impediance in check cause I'm pretty sure I didn't do the damage with a HPF around 90-100Hz and it's been holding up apparently. So that's that and I wish I never put that difinimax in there cause now I'm in love with how it looks! Probably sounds a lil better too but haven't had the chance to turn em up. So would it be bad to buy another pair of difinimax's and throw them in? I would have more watt handling 1400 over 1000 but would the crossover hold up? I also know enough about speaker cabinets to know these weren't a designed combination and could adversly affect sound quality. I probably wouldn't go that route right away anyway and instead put money towards another pair of LA400's but I'm thinking once I build up such a sub system some more mid bass from the tops might be in order and well we all know I can't add more tops and array them in this situation. Hmm... Thoughts?

-Mark

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Ok so after two successful weekends and with my system still sitting in the garage I decided to see how my 325's would sound without subs and made a program for it. To my horrior when I cranked them up and had the bass coming out them like I never had before I hear what sounds like my grill rattling on one of the speakers. A closer listen and disection find the bottom woofer with a VC rubbing. Lucky I have a pair of difinimax's in my fr159z's which I only use as monitors now so I swapped them out and will run this weekend with just the one monitor pushing some bass with the good 325 woofer and the bad one just in there to keep the impediance in check cause I'm pretty sure I didn't do the damage with a HPF around 90-100Hz and it's been holding up apparently. So that's that and I wish I never put that difinimax in there cause now I'm in love with how it looks! Probably sounds a lil better too but haven't had the chance to turn em up. So would it be bad to buy another pair of difinimax's and throw them in? I would have more watt handling 1400 over 1000 but would the crossover hold up? I also know enough about speaker cabinets to know these weren't a designed combination and could adversly affect sound quality. I probably wouldn't go that route right away anyway and instead put money towards another pair of LA400's but I'm thinking once I build up such a sub system some more mid bass from the tops might be in order and well we all know I can't add more tops and array them in this situation. Hmm... Thoughts?

-Mark

The best sounding 15" driver you can install in your 325 is the original model that EAW designed the speaker around...get the fried one reconed. They are not mix and match.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    As Dennis say's but realize that the LF performance is probably the biggie here.. LF extension and you are using subs... so probably not a huge deal.. but with those funky EQ settings all bets are off...

G