Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack PX
Options

Novice needs help with PX please!!!

tpc575tpc575 Posts: 2
edited September 2011 in DriveRack PX
For starters, I'm a complete newbie regarding driveracks. 2nd, I've been the default sound guy for our worship band simply because I could plug everything in and get some noise out of the system. I have read the "Start Here" and pretty much everything else in this forum trying to gain some understanding but with limited success. Please go easy. :)

I just purchased a PX and need some help getting it setup correctly.

Here is my info: System is for around 100-150 people with both live and recorded music.

Room: 40w x 60L carpet floor, suspended ceiling with side walls about 8ft tall on each side curving up in the middle with a max height of about 15ft. See attached Pic. Band sets up in front of the screen.

Mixer: Behringer Xenyx 12/24 no power

Main speakers: 2 x Carvin lsx 1202a powered tops http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/LSx1202.pdf

Subs: 2 x Carvin 1801a powered subs http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/LSx1801.pdf

right now the speaker pairs are place in the front corners of the room with the subs on the floor and the tops mounted above subs on poles about 7ft high.

I followed the quickstart guide, using the rta mic, pinked the room, auto eq, etc... to the best of my ability, had to choose custom presets for the tops and subs. After finishing, I have what I consider very clear mids and highs but my subs went from sounding pretty good (before the PX install) to not putting out at all... they are making some noise but very, very little. Also, the mains are registering about 2 bars for the signal on the driverack and the subs are barely showing at all. Clue??? Can someone help? I need this sounding good before Sunday AM. Many thanks from this driverack newbie!

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I followed the quickstart guide, using the rta mic, pinked the room, auto eq, etc...

You didn't really read the "start here" thread or any of the FAQ "Auto Eq" threads... or if you did you clearly didn't understand whats written...
    I have read the "Start Here" and pretty much everything else in this forum trying to gain some understanding but with limited success. Please go easy. :)

we clearly indicate in those threads that you CANNOT EQ A ROOM... you can only eq the system with RESPECT for the room...

Further, indoor auto eq is problematic at best... sounds like you put the mic on a stand... in the center of the room...

Also, the Auto Eq will be affected by standing waves... also clearly stated in the threads mentioned.. and everything (on indoor auto eq passes) below 170hz is "suspect" and should be eq'd by ear....

Now, if none of this rings a bell you clearly missed the point of the threads...

Take one of the tops and do this:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=953

Use the bottom picture as a reference but take the mic and lay in on the floor pointing at the speaker... if the surface is hard use a towel under the mic... if it's carpet, better yet...

OR take ONE top and ONE sub OUTDOORS away from ALL reflective surfaces... set the top on the sub and the mic out about 6-10 feet. aim the mic at the horn (horn height) use medium precision, and 0-0 or flat response.

I assume that the band is behind the speaker?

Looks like the speakers are in the corners? Or close to the outside walls...they will be spray painting sound all over those walls and that reflected HF energy will be reaking havoc in the room. either aim the speakers inward to the point the horns pattern (90 degrees I assume) runs along the wall and deal with the interaction in the space where the horn patterns cross... or better yet, move them in a bit and treat the walls with absorbent materials, like hangs and curtains...and that support pillar looks like trouble as well...

Looks like some tough problems...the BEST solution would be to fly those speakers in a center cluster (if they have fly points) above the front of the stage... that would solve a BUNCH of problems...but do the tuning first...

Sorry but what you have written... doesn't reflect the procedures we have posted... oh, and the manual is pretty much useless...

Gadget