Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 4800 4800 General Discussion
Options

System Upgrade to DBX Processing

schnakesoundschnakesound Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in 4800 General Discussion
Hi, I have an EAW KF850T/EAW SB850e system and we are starting to get into doing larger shows. Larger being defined as Bret Michaels, Warrent, Kid Rock, Ted Nugent and so on. I have been using the DSP in my Crown I-Techs for all of my processing up until this point. That is one of the reasons that I went with the Crowns. They are all neatly networked together and I can access them wirelessly from my computer. This past week Bret Michaels soundman wanted to change the processor setting on the subs and wanted to know where he could find the processing unit. I told him that all of the processing was in the amps. He had several things to say about the set-up and none of it was good. I can see his point that he wants something that he can touch and change with his hands and not on a computer screen. All of this is leading me to thinking about adding a processor mainly the DBX 4800 for my house system and DBX 260s on my monitors. So far this is the only group that is bitching about anything in my system. However, I want to make sure that everyone is 'happy' so we can keep doing larger jobs.

Also, is there any way to control the DriveRack 4800 through a network connection/wirelessly? Since I already have the network running.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks 8)

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    Ya Vince can be challenging.. how did you like Zoltan...he stole the show every time...I have the 4800 and it's a great unit and as part of the Harmon group uses the same System Architect that Crown uses. I don't run wireless.. but I know it's done... I will get the tech guys to weigh in but in the meantime go to the PSW and ask on the LAB there...
    http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/board,9.0.html

There are any number of big tour acts techs that hang there...they should be able to tell you.. not sure if this will help or not:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1063

There is the train of thought.. and an ever growing movement..that LOCK the processors and simply give the visiting BE a hands on graphic so he can feel like he is doing something... :mrgreen: ... without allowing them to change the system setup...this makes a lot of sense if you think about it because then you can zero it after each new band and you don't have anything they can permanently mess up.. you can do that also with the driveracks... you can lock out specific sections (like the xover and PEQ's/delays...and leave the GEQ for them to mess with...and then you can revert back to the preset you had... even if they store what they have done...

Thats what I do, I provide a KT DN360 that is zeroed for them ...then re-flatten it once they leave.. :mrgreen: no matter HOW great they think it make the system sound...

Gadget
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Hi, I have an EAW KF850T/EAW SB850e system and we are starting to get into doing larger shows. Larger being defined as Bret Michaels, Warrent, Kid Rock, Ted Nugent and so on. I have been using the DSP in my Crown I-Techs for all of my processing up until this point. That is one of the reasons that I went with the Crowns. They are all neatly networked together and I can access them wirelessly from my computer. This past week Bret Michaels soundman wanted to change the processor setting on the subs and wanted to know where he could find the processing unit. I told him that all of the processing was in the amps. He had several things to say about the set-up and none of it was good. I can see his point that he wants something that he can touch and change with his hands and not on a computer screen. All of this is leading me to thinking about adding a processor mainly the DBX 4800 for my house system and DBX 260s on my monitors. So far this is the only group that is bitching about anything in my system. However, I want to make sure that everyone is 'happy' so we can keep doing larger jobs.

Also, is there any way to control the DriveRack 4800 through a network connection/wirelessly? Since I already have the network running.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks 8)

This system sounds like a fairly standard configuration unless there is something you didnt share. Lab Gruppen and PowerSoft have built in processing that is accessed with a computer and they don't require an outboard processor. Mix engineers don't touch processors....they instruct system techs (you) to make the changes they need. System techs are dedicated to FOH and the mix engineer. Until sound check is finished, you and the mix engineer are siamese twins and he has no reason to be looking for a processor. I run a dedicated laptop for the processor so no time is wasted scrolling through crap looking for processor info. Be prepaired to switch between aux fed and non-aux fed subs on a moments notice. If you don't have time to babysit the mix engineer, you are under staffed.

Save your money. you don't need an additional processor