Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

db/mSec and db/Sec conversion

nojoconojoco Posts: 32
I searched through some of the posts, but couldn't locate anything specific for what I'm needing. Also, there doesn't appear to be anything on the dbx website that can offer assistance.

Pertaining to the 1066, the attack/release controls show a scale of db/mSec and db/sec rate of change instead of a millisecond scale.

Is there a forumula, or some type of conversion table, available that can break down the db/mSec and db/sec scale into a millisecond scale?

Thanks.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    1 sec = 1000 msec
    1/2 sec = 500 msec
    etc

s=m X 1000
    m=s / 1000

Is that what you wanted?

DRA
  • Dra wrote:
    1 sec = 1000 msec
    1/2 sec = 500 msec
    etc

s=m X 1000
    m=s / 1000

Is that what you wanted?

DRA

Thanks for the quick reply DRA.

What I'm needing to know is (for example) on the "attack" setting (clockwise), it shows 3db... 1db... etc... etc... .04db How is this related to actual milliseconds? On other compressors, it was just a matter of "dialling in" a setting of milleseconds for when the compressor will respond. So, for the 1066, how would (i.e.) 1 db/mSec attack time correspond to "how much time in milliseconds" before the compressor would compress?

Thanks again.
    According to the manual...
    Attack: How fast or slowly the input over the set threshhold will be reduced.....
    is db's per millisec. Range of 3db per msec (very fast) to .04db per msec (very slow).

Release: How fast or slowly the ouput will be aloud to return to the normal output level after dropping below the threshold...
    is db's per sec. Range of 250db per sec (very fast) to 5db per sec (very slow).

Helpful?

DRA
  • Thanks DRA - Yeah, the manual isn't too descriptive other than how "fast" or "slow" the compressor will work. It doesn't really indicate how many milleseconds the settings represent. That sort of distrubs me that dbx is not more transparent in their settings. I'm sure there's a direct correlation between how dbx represents milleseconds and how others do; just need to find it.

I may have to find some extra time and do a comparisson between the 1066 and some other compressor that has millesecond references for their settings.
    nojoco wrote:
    It doesn't really indicate how many milleseconds the settings represent.

1 millisecond
  • Exactly. That's my point.

Where is 1 ms of time explicitly stated (in relation to "attack") exist on the 1066? And by their logic, 1ms of time is everywhere on the controller. It's almost as if they over-analyzed what a compressor does and instead placing a simple scale of ms of time on the controls, they referenced it relative to an input signal (which is not false). This is like putting a speedometer on a car that shows how fast your are going relative to objects around you and expressed in a percentage of the total speed of car.