Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

OT: High Pass end results

DraDra Posts: 3,777
Here is a good one.

A recent question by a poster and a Typical Gadget answer spawned a question.

Speaker spec given:
-3db point - 70hz
-10db point - 60hz

Is the natural slope of the drop-off considered an acoustic filter? If so (or not), does applying an electrical filter, BW18 at ?hz, affect the speaker's actual response as it applies to the actual amount of cut?
That is probably confusing. :shock:
Say one speaker is -3 & -10 @ 70hz & 60hz, and another speaker is 50hz & 40 hz... if a filter is applied that electrically matches the the slope of the speaker with the higher cut-off... will both speaker have the response, or will the the higher cut-off speaker have a deeper actual cut because the filters are "stacked"?

DRA

Comments

• Dr. JDr. J Posts: 209
    Dra -- From the measuring I have done I have never paid much attention to the spec sheets like that except for it comes to applying power to them. The speakers natural roll off down that low is its natural acoustic roll off. If you apply a BW18 filter and you start the high pass and work into that roll off -- the filter will act on it and the response will take on a different slope depending on how much you set the high pass.

Going from -3 down at 70Hz to -10 down at 60Hz is pretty steep......well -- after the 60Hz mark it will be. If the high pass is set high enough -- the slope will preserve the roll off a certain way meaning the curve will be a more gradual roll off.

I have no idea if this helps or if it is really what you are looking for. The natural roll off in what I have seen (using smaart) is probably a steeper roll off than using a BW18 filter. The problem is channeling all that power into a speaker at its natural acoustic limit. Not sure and maybe the sub could take it but for the specs above -- I would start the high pass at the -10dB down mark BW18 and just listen to see how the kick and bass sound. If it sounds muddy or sloppy and I couldn't get much of what I was looking for out of it -- I would start raising it slowly until the kick cleared up. Just throwing out ideas..... where is Dennis? He will know.

Let me see if I can find a snap shot of my subs and post them for you to see.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I totally made up those numbers, and if I hadn't the numbers would be actual, not spec'd. I'm was just curious about what happens if naturally occuring limitations are matched and overlayed with the same curve electronically. or, if the applied filter extends beyond the knee, then cuts the natural slope sharply. Or, if the applied filter is above the knee, but is shallow as to cut through the natural curve.
    This thread started as a sub related question, but actually would make more sense as a high pass to the "woofer" speaker of the top cab as is interacts with the sub at the x-over region. Then, I guess, the example would make sense if the top cab has a 10" woofer (-3 @ 100hz) and a sub with an upper limit of 120hz.

Let me ask the question like this, "Does a natural limitation have the same characteristics as an applied filter? And therefore, does a "natural limitation" with a matching (assuming possible) "applied filter" yield the same results as an "applied filter" on top of a matching "applied filter"?

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Wow that's confusing :? If I'm not totally lost here then perhaps the answer is...the naturally occurring falloff of response is going to vary depending on the driver and how quickly it rolls.... that rolloff might not even be consistent... on the other hand, a filter with a predefined slope WILL have a consistent slope...

Now, if you overlay the slopes and actually apply the filter to the speaker.. the speaker response would follow the filter(as long as it is above the filter slope), and not the speakers.. however.. the electrical and acoustical slopes are going to differ... If the filter is applied and that filter slope is ABOVE the actual response of the speaker... then the speakers response will remain unchanged.. even though the filter is in place.

As confusing as the thread is I may be totally NOT answering the question though...

G :mrgreen:
    Dra wrote:
    Let me ask the question like this, "Does a natural limitation have the same characteristics as an applied filter? And therefore, does a "natural limitation" with a matching (assuming possible) "applied filter" yield the same results as an "applied filter" on top of a matching "applied filter"?DRA

I don't think so Dra. Those specs sheets that companies put out always have the response EQ'd and tailored to make them look great BUT really by the time the buyer gets them & depending IF he has ALL the parts (system controller & amps...etc) then the natural response is often pretty ugly. So as the response rolls off -- it can be lumpy and jagged. When you get a filter into the mix and the filter cuts into the response -- it doesn't change that lumpiness or jaggedness -- it just rolls it off differently. It may be possible but I think it would be highly unlikely an electrical filter could lay right over an acoustic filter exactly.

However -- if you wanted to be slick -- you could EQ the response and force it to work that way but obviously that wouldn't be what you want to do. It is important to EQ thru the crossover area and beyond the XO points before joining the area together with a filter. This is something I was missing for awhile and honestly wasn't ready for it BUT it made a nice improvement in my system.

One other thing kinda off base but my top to electronic sub XO point is down around 70-74Hz BUT because my low end is strong (+10dB -+12dB minimum) it takes this lower setting to achieve an ACOUSTIC XO point of 118Hz. It shifts upstream that much! The electronic crossover will only closely match the acoustic XO IF the two are equal in volume (Flat).
    Dr. J wrote:
    [I don't think so Dra. Those specs sheets that companies put out ).

Sorry. Thought I was clear and may additional clarification that I was discussing "real", but "made up" numbers.
    I am working on something to post that may explain my thouights, though you actually touched on it in your reply.

DRA
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j43 ... -Model.jpg

Does this make sense? Again, I made the responses up and the filters, and the effect thereof. As a matter of theory... is this feasable?

DRA
    Dra wrote:
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j432/dra2650/chart-Model.jpg

Does this make sense? Again, I made the responses up and the filters, and the effect thereof. As a matter of theory... is this feasable?

DRA

I see what you are saying but a speakers natural response will never look like you have it. It is too gradual. It makes more sense to me to see the first two actually reversed. The natural will drop sharply at some point and the filter will actually preserve the response IF you get further into the response.

So if the filter is in place and not yet into the Natural range -- it will still look natural. As you creep into the response with the High pass -- it will take on a different look and the further you go into it -- will still keep changing until the HP Filter or the BW18 is in FULL control. Basically it will be 1. ALL Natural 2. Somewhere in between 3. BW Filter takes full control. I don't think in your example that the first one plus the second will equal the third one although it would be easy to conclude IF the first and the second actually looked like that.

The natural is going to have a rapid fall off at some point (-10dB @ ?) -- the Filter will have a BW 18 for example -- just THAT -- IF you get far enough into the response........ otherwise you will be in the middle of the two and get a half and half response.

Dra do you have any measuring capabilities and a program like Smaart? Although complicated at first -- it really teaches you an immense amount of things of what is happening in the acoustic realm. It is just different and amazing. I would be happy to help you with what I know. I am a solid two years into it now. I know Gary is getting into it and of course Dennis is the master at this (15-20 years I think) so he could clarify things as well.

It is cool to see you expanding the thought process.. :D
    I just looked at your picture again. I seriously think the result is EITHER going to be ALL natural OR ALL BW FILTER (IF far enough into response ) OR somewhere in between. So take your natural response (steep roll off at some point) and the BW Filter or any Filter for that matter and the end result will be somewhere in between if not the Full applied Filter BUT NOT anything more than the applied filter.

Yep -- that's my answer. Anyone else have any ideas???
    Let me be clear (again). These drawings / example are for a visualization aid only. I fully understand that the response will not be gradual or linear. I am just removing variables. The base question remains, "Does an intersecting natural response and electrical filter combine to give results that are diffent than either?"

DRA
    Took some BW Filter Shots on a Mackie Thump. Going left to right on the response you have ALL Natural, then a 60Hz BW18, then a 100Hz BW18 & for fun a 15oHz BW18.

Take a look: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc21 ... Slopes.jpg
    Dra -- Do you mean for TWO speakers with one having a natural response and the other controlled by a filter?
    Dra wrote:
    Here is a good one.

Speaker spec given:
    -3db point - 70hz
    -10db point - 60hz

Is the natural slope of the drop-off considered an acoustic filter? If so (or not), does applying an electrical filter, BW18 at ?hz, affect the speaker's actual response as it applies to the actual amount of cut?
    Say one speaker is -3 & -10 @ 70hz & 60hz, and another speaker is 50hz & 40 hz... if a filter is applied that electrically matches the the slope of the speaker with the higher cut-off... will both speaker have the response, or will the the higher cut-off speaker have a deeper actual cut because the filters are "stacked"?

DRA

Dra -- just went back and RE-read the original question. So you got a speaker that has a cut off higher than the other one and you want to use a filter on the lower one to match the higher one. Sure -- I think you can do it as long as you can use a measurement device to do it. Have to have a way to figure out the Filters Slope. From there join them together and align it. Sorry
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Dra wrote:
    Let me be clear (again). These drawings / example are for a visualization aid only.

Yeah, but the natural response of your speaker will look nothing like your pictures.
    Dr. J wrote:
    Took some BW Filter Shots on a Mackie Thump. Going left to right on the response you have ALL Natural, then a 60Hz BW18, then a 100Hz BW18 & for fun a 15oHz BW18.

Take a look: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc21 ... Slopes.jpg

What do you suppose the anomaly is at 63hz on the 100 & 150hz traces?

DRA
    Dr. J wrote:
    Dra wrote:
    Here is a good one.

Speaker spec given:
    -3db point - 70hz
    -10db point - 60hz

DRA

Dra -- just went back and RE-read the original question. So you got a speaker that has a cut off higher than the other one and you want to use a filter on the lower one to match the higher one. Sure -- I think you can do it as long as you can use a measurement device to do it. Have to have a way to figure out the Filters Slope. From there join them together and align it. Sorry

Let me rephrase the question. If worm holes exist, and I fly a craft into it, does my speed change while inside, or does it speed up? If the speed is increased, is it instantanious or gradual? :mrgreen:
    My dad taught me this... "Words do not convey meaning." In other words... What I want to say = A. How I say it = B. What you hear = C. How you interpret it = D. :idea:

This whole exercise was fodder to begin with. Just something to discuss. Like the Butterfly Effect.
    Concider it closed, unless there is any more real contribution.
    DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I "considered" it closed some time ago... :mrgreen:
    Dra wrote:
    Let me rephrase the question. If worm holes exist, and I fly a craft into it, does my speed change while inside, or does it speed up? If the speed is increased, is it instantanious or gradual? :mrgreen:
    My dad taught me this... "Words do not convey meaning." In other words... What I want to say = A. How I say it = B. What you hear = C. How you interpret it = D. :idea:

This whole exercise was fodder to begin with. Just something to discuss. Like the Butterfly Effect.
    DRA

With our lack of knowledge on the topic, could it not be dangerous to fly into a worm hole?
    Dra wrote:
    Dr. J wrote:
    Dra wrote:
    Here is a good one.

Speaker spec given:
    -3db point - 70hz
    -10db point - 60hz

DRA

DRA

I don't know what else to say Dra. The anomalies on traces...... not sure but I hope you got the idea at least on the single speaker part. With careful filter use and possibly some EQ-ing -- you can make it match a natural response or even another filter.

I know you can combine speakers together with different slopes or filters. I have a setting I did a while back where I combined an LR24 (Mid) to an LR12 (Horn). The reason I did it was because of the phase position. A lot of speakers don't land on the same Phase line and are rotated out by 90 degrees or whatever. Using the LR12 on the horn re-positioned the phase to be right in line with the mid speakers phase. I ended up with a completely flat frequency response AND phase Response which is HIGHLY desired in sound BUT like Dennis told me -- It may look better BUT may not sound better.

Although it sounded pretty good -- it just wasn't the same as the other.

So you gonna give up on the question? Are we talking about two different speakers where one has a natural roll off and the other is high passed with a filter trying to match the natural one?
    Dr. J wrote:
    Are we talking about two different speakers where one has a natural roll off and the other is high passed with a filter trying to match the natural one?

:? There are no speakers. They were a figment of my imagination. In fact this thread does not exist. In fact it is 1988. We are all part of a dream that Jerry Garcia is having because he ate a giant chocolate borrito. :lol:

DRA
    Dra wrote:
    Dr. J wrote:
    Are we talking about two different speakers where one has a natural roll off and the other is high passed with a filter trying to match the natural one?

:? There are no speakers. They were a figment of my imagination. In fact this thread does not exist. In fact it is 1988. We are all part of a dream that Jerry Garcia is having because he ate a giant chocolate borrito. :lol:

DRA

But IF there were speakers, would they be different or matching?
    He must have eaten 2 burritos.

Matching. in fact they are identical twin brothers. A dual 15 + 2" horn speaker, in the family way, bore down and popped these out of its port. She was so proud. They each weighed in at 46 lbs with lustrous black fur. Then... there it was... a cute little 1" horn, and for doing its business, a 12" cone. As the birthing engineer inserted a speakon and gave it a twist, they gave a squeal, took a deep breath, then.... aaaahhhhh... music. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DRA