Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

ndoor auto eq questions

premier1premier1 Posts: 119
In the faq section under the indoor auto eq methed, the mic in one photo is at a slight angle pointed toward the ground at a tilted board, in the second photo the mic is at a perfect 90 deg to the cement floor with no board, Im confused as to what the difference is and as to why your not aiming the mic directly at the speaker between the woofer and horn, when I ran a pass outside I pointed my mic directly at the speaker, not saying it is right just wondering what the benifit is to pointing it at the floor like that and if you have carpet do you still aim it at the floor in the same way? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    What we are doing in fact is attempting to eliminate all reflected wave paths...remember that indoors.. there are any number of reflective surfaces that can affect the auto EQ process that ARE NOT there outdoors...in the one photo I was using a board to try and eliminate the reflected paths to the mic stand base...had I had a longer boom arm I wouldn't have needed to use the board, or better yet I could have simply placed the mic on the floor, on a towel and aimed it at the speaker..

The current 'best bang for the buck' (indoors) has been to place the tops laid on their sides (as in the last photo) tilt it toward the mic slightly..and place them both on a soft surface with the mic aimed at the speaker...
    G
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Just to be clear, the method(s) described so far in this thread are for the purpose of obtaining a baseline setting for your system. This setting would be a starting point for every venue that you set your system up in.....you would then fine tune for the specific venue and the fine tuning would probably not be done with the mic in the "ground plane" position.