Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Fake DBX from China

iridiumiridium Posts: 5
Hello everybody,

I would like to know if someone can tell me if my used DBX 2231 is genuine or a fake one like this:

=> http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.com.cn/osc/product_info.php/products_id/6976.

Here is a picture of serial sticker. More pictures if needed...

img20111103082933.th.jpg

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I have seen no mention of fake dbx yet.. but they are made in China...most everything is these days...I have been assured that the product, once the bugs are worked out...are actually better quality then they were when they were produced here.
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply Gadget. Yes I know that much DBX stuff are made in China... So 2231 on link above is not fake according to you ? Can you confirm mine is a genuine one with SN sticker I show you ?

Because fake units is real ! You can see here pictures and SmaartLive test on a fake 160A:

http://christophe.leusiau.free.fr/fake160a/

img7785cop.th.jpg
  • Options
    Our system will only search as far back as 5 years so I'm unable to track this unit.
    The SKU sticker appears to be valid but I can see that it was manufactured in 05.
    The best advice I can give would be to contact the International dbx Distributor in your Country to locate a valid dbx dealer.
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Distributors/dist ... lookup.php

Best Regards,
    Jason Mondragon
    dbx Tech Support
  • Options
    Thank you very much. Last query: Can you check this 223XL made in 2009 ? Thank you.

img20111104155943.th.jpg
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Do you own these items? What is your intent if they are fake?

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Do you own these items? What is your intent if they are fake?

DRA
    Yes, I own it. But I want to be sure that this is genuine one. If it's fake I'll send it back to ebay's seller (paid 170 euros).

Thank you.
  • Options
    Wow, that's interesting. There were some knock-off imports of Soundcraft pieces in the basement at NAMM this year, they were close enough that if you put a Soundcraft logo in the right place you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the outside, right down to the fonts, colors, detents, etc.

It'll be interesting to see what this stuff is.
  • Options
    The dbx223XL-EU SKU does appear to have been sold to an Authorized International Distributor.

Jason Mondragon
    dbx Tech Support
  • Options
    Let's look at this from a criminal's perspective.

Someone capable of reproducing / copying / mimicing these devices is intellegent (we can debate the choice of words all day).
    Buy a "whateveritis" unit from an AUTHORIZED dealer. It will have SKU sticker. Mass produce the sticker. Now you have thousands and thousands of fake units with trackable "legitament" SKU's. :( :?
    Service & repair would probably discover the fake, but....
    I guess you can only buy from a reputable (really?) authorized dealer, if you want to be certain. That kills the used market.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    .... I guess you can only buy from a reputable (really?) authorized dealer, if you want to be certain. That kills the used market.
    DRA
    Hey, I resemble that remark, lol! :)

I'm not smart enough to be dishonest... I'd never be able to keep up with the lies from one day to the next.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I am smart enough, but you can trust me. :mrgreen:

DRA
  • Options
    I can tell you have have seen sites that off DBX equipment for a lot less than what you would pay in the US. There are a lot of compressor-related equipment being offered as individual or case lots. The Shure brand is really being copied. I bought some fake Shures just to see for myself. This has been documented on line but I wanted to hold some of the stuff in my own hands. I can immediately tell a fake SM58 by the weight. I asked some musicians and they could not tell the difference. On side by side tests I could not tell any huge difference in sound quality. The fake had more handling noise however. I even had a store test the bar code on their scanner and they came up correctly.

I believe there are fake units. I also see fake BSS eqs..Opal model at a way-too low price. I think they are fake because the price is so low and drops to crazy low when you buy in bulk. Maybe someone is siphoning off units at the manufacturing facility? I think in China it works like this. The factory making the real thing has the specs. They either also make the knock offs or someone sells the design plans to another company. We had an engineer at work travel to China a lot. he said once you have China see your plans, they copy everything. he said the plane back to Europe was filled with miserable engineers all lamenting that they just gave away their design plans.

Maybe they are as good. Sorry for the rambling but it is something that I have puzzled at for a long time. I have stumbled upon websites that cater to DIY electronics projects. The common buzz seemed to be that a lot of the components that get soldered in are Chinese knock-offs of the real thing. These electronics guys did a lot of testing and found the components were sometimes nothing more than wires with a color coating..no actual function at all..or way out of spec at best. On that I have noted on Crown's site they say they individually match the components (which I guess means tighten the specs) on the expensive amps.

I have purchased stage lighting from China (LED) that is exactly the same as the name brands but for far less. No support or warranty but for what I use it for it works great. I get the same instruction booklet, just a different name. Ever wonder why the English is so bad on these booklets? I could not, however, directly match some name brand models to the Chinese offerings. The Chauvet Q-Spot 160 cannot be found but I can match the Q-Spot 260. I have read that with LED components there is something called binning. The samespec LEDs get tested and put in a specific bin designating how on-spec the LED is. I assume you pay more for the LEDs that are closer to spec and allow you to create a more consistent product.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. I see a lot of Chinese copies in my consumer product field. At trade shows you can walk into a suppliers booth and see every copied product they make. They have no shame. Haha. You want a copy? They can make!