Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

help with pa set up

lundy_waggalundy_wagga Posts: 2
edited November 2011 in PA Connectivity
hi guys

my equipment is as follows
2 double 18' sub boxes loaded with jbl2241 at 4ohm each
2 double 15' tops loaded with Eminance pro kappas
2 quest 4004 amps to run the above speakers
2 jbl prx515 15'tops
2 jbl prx 518 18' subs

i have just finished building the passive set up and used the drive rack in a 2 by 4 setup and ran the subs on the low channel and tops on the high just wondering if i could run the spare channel at full range for the prx gear and use the cross overs built into the subs cheers

or any onther suggestions on how i could run everything together

Comments

• Options
    hi guys

my equipment is as follows
    2 double 18' sub boxes loaded with jbl2241 at 4ohm each
    The boxes are 4 ohm each or the speakers are 4 ohm each?
    2 double 15' tops loaded with Eminance pro kappas
    Horns? Crossover? Ohms?
    2 quest 4004 amps to run the above speakers
    2 jbl prx515 15' tops
    2 jbl prx 518 18' subs

i have just finished building the passive set up and used the drive rack in a 2 by 4 setup and ran the subs on the low channel and tops on the high just wondering if i could run the spare channel at full range for the prx gear and use the cross overs built into the subs cheers

or any onther suggestions on how i could run everything together
    What model Driverack... PA? PA+? I think the answer is yes to using a full range output as noted, I'm sure Gadget or one of the other actual brainiacs will pop in shortly to confirm or not.

How is the system being used? Live sound? DJ? What types of venues?
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yes you could...BUT running dissimilar speakers in near proximity is never a good idea...unless they are covering dispirit (different) areas of the venue.. be it outdoors or in, but usually much worse indoors. Overlapping horn patterns and near proximity dissimilar subs can cause all manor of sonic chaos...generqally there is also chaos in the mid frequencies as well but are far less defined, (than say a sibilance on a vocal or a harmonic on a guitar note) and thus less noticeable.

That said, to implement this you would set up a 2X6 (biamp with subs) in the wizard using all custom settings, then...set the appropriate crossover and slope for the tops/subs using either the hi and low outs for the proprietary speakers. and the mid outs for the powered speakers (easiest). The crossover slopes for the hi/low combo would be like:
    Subs: HPF 40hz BW18
    LPF 100hz LR24
    Tops: (fullrange bandpass) 40hz BW 18 to 'out'

Although you could do it hi outs = proprietary tops, mid outs = proprietary subs, low outs = fullrange powered speakers

OR if you run mono you could follow the tops/subs with monitors setup found in the FAQ section.
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2228

Either way you simply go into the crossover section and set the amount of frequencies you want to go to the fullrange setup (drag the HPF to 20 hz BW12 and the LPF to out)

Gadget