Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

New setup questions

RodMartinRodMartin Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hi, this is my first post to this forum, I have read the FAQ's and getting started stuff but haven't seen anything like what my questions are. I'm a drummer in a country band, we have been running a very simple sound system, we are using in ear monitors for the vocals, so all we are dealing with is front of house. I have an old Mackie 808m powered mixer, a Crown XLS1000 amp for the sub and passive JBL SF15 mains running off the Mackie. I am considering purchasing two EV ELX112 powered speakers to use either in conjunction with or in place of the JBL speakers. I am not sure if the use of the powered mixer with powered speakers causes any issues, (I assumed that with the DRPA in the mix it would be OK) and is it any advantage to use the EVs as the high range and JBLs as mid range. The Mackie has a mixer out and power amp in that I am using to get the signal from the mixer to the DRPA and back again, but with only the one out I am currently going into the left high input on the DRPA, then the sub to the left low. When I try to do an auto eq, the system says incomplete make sure the speakers and amps are plugged in and powered on......arrgh.
I am not a tech guy, (oh really) I can find my way around in the DRPA but I think my system is old and not really ideal for this, but I'm thinking if I add the EVs, maybe it would be a first step toward a new system. A whole lot of questions, sorry, help with any or all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Actually it would seem your OVER thinking this...

Remember that dissimilar speakers in near proximity can cause problems with cancellations and other sonic chaos...

The Driverack doesn't care if the speakers are powered or passive with amps nor does it know the difference...

There are several things that can cause the "not finished" message:

1. You have chosen a dual mono setup in the wizard and the auto eq is waiting to do the other other side (it will do the left side first ALWAYS)
    2. There were more than 4 bands/frequencies that are FULLY cut or boosted after the auto eq pass.

My brain is mush at this point so I'm going to have to bow out and see what answers you got and what still comes to mind.
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, I will look again to see if it is set as dual mono. The thing that frustrates me is I have done it in the past and it has worked fine, must be something I'm doing wrong, I will keep working to find the fix. Thanks again.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You did read #2 right? Press the EQ button repeatedly till the GEQ product curve appears. Sometimes, if you are using say a pair of speakers that only go down to 80 hz, all the lower bands are boosted fully to try and compensate for the lack of low end...If 4 are fully boosted, the 'not finished" would be displayed...

Note that mic position for the Auto EQ process is critical as well, say you place the mic on a stand.. When then direct signal arrives and the same signal bounces off something and arrives 90 degrees out of phase the signals cancel...

Ok, Place the mic on the floor, on a towel, or other soft cloth or carpet... this will prevent any bounce reflection from the floor... be sure to place the mic far enough away to capture the speakers sound and not all the proximity affect...If you insist on doing indoor Auto EQ you should read the FAQ sections on Auto EQ.. there are several and they start on page 2 of the FAQ's. There you will find that 20-25 feet are suggested.

You will also find that placing the speaker, on the floor on it's side will elicit some unexpected results, and that if your expecting to get good results from the low end or subs indoors, you better forget it, you might be ok by placing the mic in a corner VERY close to the 3 surfaces, but standing waves are going to wreck havoc on you if you run the speakers very loud.

Have you read the "start here" thread?
    Or the FAQ's?

Gadget