Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

40 Hz cut button on DBX 223XS.

scot clarkscot clark Posts: 4
Hi:

Question about the 40 Hz cut button on DBX 223XS.

Running 2-way stereo.
I have a power amp for the highs and (2) power amps for the lows where one is for the left and the other for the right (channel 1 and 2).
The unit works great.
Just wondering about the button/switch on the front for the 40Hz Low Cut.
The manual doesn’t have much detail.
Says: “Switch for selecting the 40 Hz high pass filter. An LED indicates the selection�.
When I press the button to put it on the LED comes on only momentarily when I hold the button in.
When I release the button, I cannot get it to activate. The LED goes off. No function.
Just wondering what I’m doing wrong. Everything else works great.
There is also mentioned in the section for Stereo 2-Way Mode in the section for DBX 223 Front Panel:
“LEDs are disabled for controls which are non-functional�. It does however list it as one of the controls for this section.

Page 5:
http://www.dbxpro.com/product_downloads ... Manual.pdf

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Older unit? my guess would be a bad switch, as in the latch not working. (or you didn't push it in far enough... may need a paperclip or something) As you press the button it's trying to engage, but not latching... I suggest that unless you have a VERY healthy speaker (I can only think of a few that will ACTUALLY even come close to that spec...) that the 40hz isn't high enough to protect your speakers.

Oh and I bet the HPF is 12dB/ octave... again not enough to protect anything...

Gadget
  • Options
    Hi Gadget:

Thanks for your reply. I tried it again last night and no luck.
    Brand new unit. Yeah it's not engaging when I press the buttons in.
    It happens on both the channel one and channel two buttons.
    Everything works great on it..... I guess it's not a big deal.
    I'm pretty new at this. This is my first set up with a crossover.
    Thanks again.
    (I'll also try the paper clip method)
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Call tech support and ask them if there is any condition or setting that would cause this. If not, get a replacement. While 40 might be too low for a lot of set-ups, it is better than nothing.

DRA
  • Options
    Oh how embarrassing…..
    Yep, I wasn’t able to push the switches in far enough with just my finger tips.
    A tiny screw driver pushed them in the little bit more that was needed.
    Tech Support said the same thing:
    Try pressing the switch in with a ball point pen or something small and pointy like that. It is a recessed switch and has been set up that way to prevent accidental engaging/disengaging.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    :oops: :mrgreen: told you so...