Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING FAQs
Options

"TURN DOWN" the level, Why is the DRPA/PA+/PX telling me to?

GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
edited January 2012 in FAQs
Might as well just forget about the input meters... folks they are inaccurate, and misleading anyway...( ALMOST every meter IS...) If you set the xover gains at unity, 1 volt in = 1 volt out of the DRPA+ (with the switch in the back in the +4 dB position...If memory serves)

Note that the measurement mic is routed to the DRPA+ input when the auto EQ process is started, and, that once the CLIP level is met, the DRPA+ will tell you to turn DOWN the level. (this is so the inputs aren't clipping...) to get MORE loudness for the process, you will need to move the speakers AWAY from the measurement mic...the farther the speakers are away, the louder they will HAVE to be to meet the measurement requirements... so, lets say you wish to run 105dB 'C' weighted, using a Decibel meter set the speaker output @ 105dB at the point you want that level (3 feet is pretty useless lets say 10 feet minimum) now move the speaker back (or measurement mic) till you are within the -0- dB area )or slightly below. Now if you take your measurement you should have no trouble with the "TURN DOWN" notification. You will also be measuring the speakers response AT THE LEVEL THEY WILL BE PLAYING... and believe me the loudness makes a BIG difference in the way a speaker sounds... especially when you PUSH IT!

G