Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Beginner HERE .... yes, another setup question

jamminforeverjamminforever Posts: 12
edited January 2012 in PA Connectivity
Going to setup for the first time this weekend our new stuff along with the old. We did have tops, mixer and monitors and just recently added a power amp (qsc gx3) for the monitors, a QSC kw181 sub and finally the DRPX unit.
So, here goes, .... any suggestions to setup, sub placement on stage?

monitors are being ran free range, so no dbx with these...

the 2 tops are yamaha br15's (unpowered, but we are running them into a powered mixer yamaha emx512sc just for power AFTER the drpx)
the sub is QSC KW 181 (powered)
and the mixer is a mackie 1402-VLZ3

So essentially what I was thinking is to set up the mackie mixer and run the outs from the mackie into the dbx. Then connect the sub to the sub out on the drpx and then run the mains out from the drpx to the yamaha power mixer channels 1 and 2, then run that to the 2 tops. ( no effects and flat eq on the yamaha ). I understand that it's a bit over complicating, but we don't have it in the budget right now to get another power amp for the tops, maybe in a few months. So for what we have now, is it do-able?

We do mainly rock-classic rock in small bars and venues. Eventually we want to upgrade to a bigger mixer, another power amp, better tops and possibly add another kw181.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    So the DRPA's outputs are converted to 1/4" balanced and inserted into the amps using the' Amp inputs'... right?

That's fine, what crossover point and slope are you proposing?

It would be good to find a way to cut the lows out of the monitors from about 130-150hz on down...
    Gadget
  • Options
    So the DRPA's outputs are converted to 1/4" balanced and inserted into the amps using the' Amp inputs'... right?

I could do that, but was thinking of using XLR cables into channels one and two of the yamaha 512 or I could do XLR to quarter inch and go into channels 5\6 as well. Either or... so not sure at this point.

As far as crossover slopes not sure on this one....
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    :? :? :? If you want to quote me, look above the dialog box, select
    , left click with the mouse between the
    boxes, and insert a copy of what I said like this...

The ONLY way to do this with your setup is to send the main outs to the driverack, split at the crossover, send the high's to the tops, and the lows to sub...To use the mixers amp, you need to interrupt the signal from the mixer, and insert the POST DRPA+ signal....the place to do this is the amp inserts...

So, convert the XLR Hi outs from the DRPA to a balanced 1/4" for insert into the the board where the mixer out enters the amp in...that is labeled (if memory serves...) 'Power amp in'

This way you can take the mixer outputs, run them through the DRPA, set the tops and subs up so they do what they do best, send the signal to the sub amp form the DRPA Low outs, and the BR yamatops will get only what they can gracefully handle...

Questions?
    G