Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Input Headroom Meters are all but pegged in the red

sbertauxsbertaux Posts: 11
edited February 2012 in PA General Discussion
after I go through the setup wizard and get to the RTA mic plug in and press next to begin it has the input headroom light almost all pegged to the top with little or no gain on the mic. What could cause this? I did the gain structure using our voices as we sing to keep each channel in the green instead of running pink noise through it, so what could be pegging the input lights?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ah... now I see why you asked the OTHER question...your going to have to be a bit more specific...here is the sequence for Auto Eq:
    1. Hook up the mic (Note, if the mic cable is BAD the auto EQ process will run WILD immediately upon starting the auto eq process)
    2. You will be prompted to increase the pink noise level.
    3. If you turn the level up till the input meters PEAK it will prompt you to TURN DOWN... If you want more level form the speakers you will need to INCREASE the distance from the mic...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Now this happens when I am doing the balance on the system, so this is normal? Correct?
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well, what the auto balance is trying to accomplish is getting the levels between the bands of frequencies ( in many cases that would be tops vs subs) balanced....this does NOT require a calibrated mic as all we are trying to do is make one output = another, be the same volume.... (subs = output to tops) In a 3 way system there would be 3 elements to balance...again, no calibration needed, simply matching of levels...

I personally do not use this feature because it has a couple inherent problems... one, the crossover point and slope needs to be addressed... I almost never agree with what is there unless it's a setup provided for a bi-amp setup, like you would get with a setup from JBL for an SRX 738 or a 738 with subs... but then these setups DON"T need any auto balance because the crossover gains and amp sensitivity settings are provided anyway...

I would suggest that if you follow the 'START HERE' thread procedure for gain structure and setup:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

The REASON they put in an auto balance feature is... that if you don't have the different elements pretty close volume wise, the auto eq process will boost or cut the levels to adjust for this imbalance.

There is also a lot of info in the 'FAQ' section under the 'Start Here' thread...

Gadget