Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

RTA Mic

sbertauxsbertaux Posts: 11
edited February 2012 in PA General Discussion
Is there a sensitivity adjustment for the RTA mic in the utility menu?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    HUH?
    No...and why would one be necessary?
    Gadget
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Gadget wrote:
    HUH?
    No...and why would one be necessary?
    Gadget

Calibration? How necessary it is, is another question
  • Options
    Silly wabbit.... :mrgreen: Calibration is for Techs...

Methinks he wants a SENSITIVITY control because he has an anomaly.......in fact his other thread pretty much insures it... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Gadget wrote:
    Calibration is for Techs...

OK, you got me
  • Options
    You are most likely all correct, I guess my question could be looked @ from this angle. Does the RTA mic measure db's as well?
  • Options
    It can....but that would require calibration...
  • Options
    does the driverack PA+ then measure DB's from the RTA Mic? If it does could this eventually drift and need to be calibrated. Just thinking outloud. Sorry I am a newbie to this even though I have been running sound for quite a few years and maybe doing it wrong.
  • Options
    Did you not read your other thread.... this is all quite relevant, tied together...

The point is... even IF it wandered, it would wander no matter what it was measuring, it wouldn't measure the mids differently than the highs, or lows...Now, the MIC, depending on the quality, will likely be skewed in the extreme HF and LF regions...even the best mics may have anomalies, but they come with calibration certificates that allow you to compensate for any iniquities... Dropping them is a sure way to skew the performance...

There is a reference to a measurement mic article in the FAQ section if you want to learn more...

So what do YOU need to take away from this? The measurement mic is what it is.. a supposedly ruler flat response mic...that for our purposes, is "good enough" for what we do...is it likely ruler flat? NO, is it going to provide a perfectly flat frequency response in our speakers? No, is it better than the alternative? a resounding YES!

BUT, lets be realistic, you obviously haven't READ THE MATERIAL provided in the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING... or you wouldn't be thinking...
    I have been running sound for quite a few years and maybe doing it wrong.

We provided the material in the 'START HERE' and 'FAQ' sections, to help you understand the processes of live sound in a post analog world...we feel that with the technology comes responsibility...and we have provided the information and techniques that will help you to understand and help implement the technology. (actually some of the techniques can be used in all analog systems as well)

Worry not though, we too had to learn this all somehow, so if you go to the material and read... you will find the answers, ya it's a lot to take in... and you won't be able to do it all at once, but just keep at it.. the one truth in this business is that " The more you learn the less you know!" Oh... sorry, there is perhaps one other truth to many questions, and that is... "It depends"...

Gadget