Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Gain Structure Questions and Recommended setup.

HewdocHewdoc Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in PA Connectivity
Hello,
My name is Dominic, I have set up a sound system around the driverack pa+ and I have a few questions.
This is my setup starting from my mixer and down:

Mixer- Behringer Eurodesk MX 3282A (24 channel- 4 Stereo channels)
Driverack PA+
Amps- QSC RMX 5050 (5000 Watts)
Pushing TOPS- 4 Peavey Sanctuary Series SSE S5 Speakers (800 W Program, 1600 W peak- 15')- Stereo- 8 olms: Nominal, 5.9 Olms: Minimum
LOWS- 1 QSC K-Sub Dual 12" (Active 1000 W)- Mono

Questions:
I did the Gain Structure, but wasn't clear on a few things.
1. I ran the pink noise to mixer using a pc headphone jack, I don't know if this affects the results, but is there a specific level for the pink noise volume?
2. I have VocoPro Wireless mics and they have there volume controls on their wireless receiver, do they need to be all the way up or a part of the gain structure setup?
3. Due to the fact that we are using condenser microphones for the choir we have to turn the phantom on, should this be off during gain structure, or does it affect the result?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Intimately familiar with that board, have 2...

No phantom power will not affect anything..you should NOT use mics in the gain structure at all! only for AFS...

We have a gain structure /setup thread here:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

4 tops and 5000 watts against that one single sub... poor thing doesn't stand a chance...

The pink through the mixer is simply a way to get the signal to noise ratio up there... use the PFL button to send the signal to the master section meters.. get the signal up to the -0- average to +6...

The QUALITY of the audio in MP3 format is suspect, why not download the CD and do it right?

Read the Start here thread and check the FAQ's for more tips...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Great, it is a great mixer.
    Thank you for the quick reply.

I wasn't aware that the .mp3 file would pose a problem, but I will go ahead and use the CD when i redo it.

I also wanted you to recommended a setup, in terms of crossover settings and etc. given my specs.

I am aware of the subs inferiority to the tops, my initial request was for two 18" subs, but I was overlooked, however I try to make this work.

Also I dont know if it's the different lengths of the wire, but the farthest two top boxes are lower (in volume) than the ones ran closer to the amp.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What size wire are you running to the speakers? What are the run lengths?

You kinda have three options.
    1) Move the amp to a centered position.
    2) Use the same length runs (even to the closer ones).
    3) Balance the output at the board or at the amps (and hope someone doesn't monkey with it).

DRA
  • Options
    I guess I'm assuming that 2 are front of church and 2 are further back for delay fills? If so the DR260 would have been a better choice since the PA+ has only 10 feet of delay.

Well, with that much power you really can run the tops down as far as you want within their frequency range .... which appears to be nearly 50 hz...

You haven't told us what all you do with this system (other than the again "Assumed" church functions... Like, is there a band and loud reverie?

You'll get more out of the sub if you corner load it but then it become peaky in frequency response, and again would need delay to the mains for alignment purposes...

I suppose under the circumstances I'd start out with a 75hz xover @ LR24 from subs to tops. Let the Subs set the HPF and limiting...

The more info you give us the better we can help you.

Gadget
  • Options
    Ok thank you,
    We have a low roof, around 16 ft. high, and yes we have a full band, it's a pentecostal church setup, with a live band, and it gets pretty loud, could you explain what you mean by let the subs set the hpf, do you mean the driverack?

If you want to get an idea of the size and look you can go to http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22734479
  • Options
    LOWS- 1 QSC K-Sub Dual 12" (Active 1000 W)- Mono

Active subs have an HPF of their own, as does yours. Let the sub do that and don't worry about it.
  • Options
    Ok thank you I understand, I'll test it out and let you know.