Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

PA+ Peavey PR15, PV118, Crown XLS 402 DJ Svc-Setup Advice

DJ+JD=WINDJ+JD=WIN Posts: 4
edited February 2012 in PA Configuration Wizard
First, this board is excellent. Thanks to the contributors for all the time and advice!

Now, to the issue at hand:

After reading the FAQ and browsing posts, I am looking for some advice as to EQ setup and the subharmonic features of the DRPA+
I have run the wizard and loaded the presets for my speakers and amplifiers. I also set the Crossover per the specs in the "Start here post." I believe (based on the level indicators) that the gain is balanced properly across the system. I downloaded and used the pink noise track per the link in the "start here" thread. and followed the instructions provided in the thread.

It appears that after running the wizard that all of the EQ features are defaulted off (unless I am reading this incorrectly on the display.)

My system is as follows: (This is a DJ Service that I am running so I can finish law school-no more clubs for me)
Mixer: Rane MP22z
DRPA+
Mains: Peavey PR15 (15" w/ horn 8ohm 400 watt program) x 2
Main Amp: Crown XLS 402 stereo mode
Sub: Peavey PV118 (18" 8ohm 400 watt program) x 1
Sub amp: Crown XLS 402 bridge mono mode

The majority of the music played is pre-recorded (either CDA or MP3 320Kbps)

What is (or is there) a basic/generic EQ curve that I can set in the DRPA+ for my system/application? All of my events are at indoor reception halls. NOTE: Before the DRPA+ I had an old school analog Yamaha EQ with a Dbx X-over (166xl) and Dbx compressor/limiter (223xl)

Thanks in advance for any assistance and if I omitted any relevant/required information, please let me know!

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I haven't got time right now to fully answer you but ...

You don't have nearly enough power or sub to use the sub synth ... you will likely damage the speakers...

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    I haven't got time right now to fully answer you but ...

You don't have nearly enough power or sub to use the sub synth ... you will likely damage the speakers...

Gadget

Thanks for the response. I am glad to know that about the sub synth feature.

For now I will just adjust the EQ by ear to make it thru my gig tomorrow.

When time permits, I look forward to your advice about my other questions!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    As far as eq curves the driverack has several "precurves"... these "simulate" various "sounds"... the most common one would be the "C" curve with hyped lows and hyped highs..

What we have found most successful, is to flatten the system so that it works well in all the rooms we play, then, if we want to tune the system (sweeten it to taste) it doesn't get out of control. Remember that Mp3's and CD's are heavily compressed already so much more defeats the purpose...

The thing about the synth is, it takes a strong sub capable of sub 30 hz information in order to reproduce sub sonics, an sorry, those subs WON'T do it... also you need BIG power to do it as well, and you have neither...

The thing about flattening the system requires the measurement mic though..and is covered in the "Start here" thread
    It appears that after running the wizard that all of the EQ features are defaulted off (unless I am reading this incorrectly on the display.)

NO presets will have EQ content unless they are bi-amp, and provided by the Mfgr...

G
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget!

I spent a few hours playing with the sound and I have it at a pretty generic level which will allow me to sweeten as needed depending on venue. I also read some other posts and found some great information.

I am sure I will have more questions as I progress...I am glad to know you are around to render advice!

Cheers!

Chris