Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

DRPA+ Hiss

TweakTweak Posts: 5
edited February 2012 in PA General Discussion
I have a brand new DRPA+, and right out of the box it outputs a considerable hiss. I have isolated the noise to the DRPA+ since it outputs this noise with no inputs connected. During the test the DRPA+ and powered speaker that it was directly connected to were utilizing the same AC outlet. If the output cable is unplugged from the DRPA+, no hiss. If that same cable is plugged into my mixer's output, no hiss (mixer is also on the same AC). A hard reset had no effect on the problem. The PEQs are not in use, and the auto-EQ did not boost or cut any bands more than 3db, so it's not an EQ issue.

I find it odd that no one else has reported this. The unit seems to be working great aside from the noise; remove the noise and my band has never sounded better. We obviously can't be blasting our audiences with a loud hiss, though.

Since this is a critical piece of gear for us as a working band and it's not exactly easy to borrow or rent one of these, I'm hoping for a solution that doesn't involve shipping the unit somewhere and waiting for its return.

Has anyone else experienced this, and are there any potential solutions? Were there any flaws in my isolation of the problem?

TIA,
Pete

Comments

• TweakTweak Posts: 5
    Some more info after getting some hits in the archives:

-Level switch on rear is set to +4dBU
    -Toggling the Ground Lift switch has no effect on the noise
    -A balanced XLR cable is the only one in use
    -The Left High output is the one I've been testing as I'm currently running a single set of powered speakers in mono
    -Muting the output does reduce the volume of the hiss considerably (to what would be an acceptable volume), but there is still a hiss there compared to the mixer's output (mixer's main output slider was set to unity in the test).
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What about the filter / x-over gains? Are they boost way up? Using the compressor?

Most reputable dealers will send you a replacement before they get yours back. They will bill your CC and credit it back when they receive yours. Most will also arrange for UPS pick-up and pay the shipping.

DRA
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Curious. Where do you have your levels set on the speaker?

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    It's not the DRPA+ it's a level/impedance differential hiss...I'm trying to recall all the factors here but suffice it to say your experiencing a level disparity.. what mixer, what outputs, what cables.. all pertinent info please...

I have discussed this with one of the dbx engineers years ago and trying to reform the engrams...
    Gadget
    I will run another test tonight and report back.

I did have the compressor turned on, but only mild compression/gain. IIRC, the threshold was around -10db with a 1.5:1 ratio and 6db gain or less. Nowhere near enough gain to account for the amount of hiss. I can't recall where the gain was set on the x-over, but will double check (I doubt it was set very high as I would have seen that as a gain structure issue).

The only cable in use was a balanced XLR cable. Don't know the brand, but it's completely inaudible when connecting my mixer to the speaker with it (the speaker's own internal noise floor is louder than anything the mixer or cable may be introducing).

The input gain on the Peavey SP5 powered speaker was staight up (half way), and stayed in the same position during the tests.

Only the DRPA's Left High output was used in the test.

The unit is significantly quieter with the output mute engaged. I'm having trouble imagining the DRPA to not be the source of the noise given it had no inputs connected during the test. I do realize every component has a noise floor and the DRPA has multiple stages at which the noise floor can be amplified. I've never had this problem when processing a signal like this using multiple unbalanced units, however.

Having said all this, I don't discount the possibility I'm doing something stupid, and thus part of the reason I'm reaching out to the community for help.

Thanks, and I'll report back after running more tests.

-Pete
    Dra wrote:
    What about the filter / x-over gains? Are they boost way up? Using the compressor?

Most reputable dealers will send you a replacement before they get yours back. They will bill your CC and credit it back when they receive yours. Most will also arrange for UPS pick-up and pay the shipping.

DRA

Suffice to say that S&M (Santy Martinez) via Amazon Marketplace is a bit short of being a reputable dealer. They provided an RMA and took the unit back, and then lied about having a dbx technician check it out on-site (I spoke with dbx regarding this farce of a claim), and returned it to me . Lesson learned: always deal with authorized dealers.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Was this a Chinese knockoff unit then?