Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

PA+ Configuration

wired4soundlivewired4soundlive Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in PA Configuration Wizard
We are using another band member's PA and he has the PA+ for processing. The speakers are here... http://www.harbingerproaudio.com/products/hx-series.cfm

We are using the HX118S for the sub with a range of 32-250 and the HX152 with 40-19K. I am thinking in this configuration (2 way) that we will not need to use the lower 15".

Can anyone (Gadget, etc.) help us dial in the specifics we need to use for this set up? It would be greatly appreciated. We have been experimenting with some of the JBL settings but is doesn't sound like we are there yet.

Thanks,

Bruce Holt
Western NC

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    We are using the HX118S for the sub with a range of 32-250 and the HX152 with 40-19K. I am thinking in this configuration (2 way) that we will not need to use the lower 15".

Say what? you don't have that option, and even if you did, a properly designed dual woofer top like that uses a ~quasi 3 way design that has one of the woofers crossed somewhat higher to prevent proximity LF filtering...

The rest is going to depend on the answers to the questions you left open... what are you using for amps and what is the purpose of the system? )Live, DJ/KJ...

gadget
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Gadget wrote:

properly designed dual woofer top like that uses a ~quasi 3 way design that has one of the woofers crossed somewhat higher to prevent proximity LF filtering...

Actually, I had Peavey SP4XTs back in the day and like Gadget said, dual 15 cab are generally "quasi" 3-way. BUT...
    The horn handlesthen 1200-ish hz and up.
    One 15" (the top one) handles 1200-ish hz and down.
    One 15" (the bottom one) has a choke coil (after the low output of the x-over) to filter out 300hz and ABOVE. The coil is still in play if bi-amped.
    The reason for this is MID frequency cancelations inside the cabinet, not low frequency filtering.

If you really think about it, a dual 15 cab is a marketing ploy, because "BIGGER IS BETTER!" Yet you effectively throw out a lot of bandwidth.
    Now if you were to have a
    HORN - 2K & up
    8" - 300 - 2K
    2 x 15" up to 300
    That would be a nice cabinet. yada yada

DRA
  • Sorry Gadget about not supplying the power amps .. They are here http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EPQ2000.aspx One for tops and the other for subs.... not bridged at the current time.

As far as my statement about not using the lower 15.. I shoulda said that one probably won't get used much as I figured it was crossed over inside the box to handle the low frequency when using standalone without a sub. But what you said made more sense.. Sorry to lead the conversation astray.

Anyway, if you could help us with the settings for the PA+, it would be appreciated. The application is a live band. No DJ, KJ, etc. Hopefully, I have supplied you with enough info, but if not please let me know.

Thanks a bunch for your help.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ok,
    Subs, underpowered and outmatched by the tops.. NO WAY they will EVER do even 40 hz SO,
    HPF 45hz BW18, probably better @ 50 hz...
    LPF 75hz LR24
    Tops:
    HPF 75hz LR24,

Use the wizard, set up a stereo tops Mono sum subs, Bridge the 2000 on the subs, and daisy chain the subs...

Have you read the "Start Here" thread?

gadget