Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Advise on how I could setup best?

Ok here's whats going on. I've been asked to do a room in a venue that's way bigger than I've ever done. So first if you guys could, take the time and look at the pics of the room here www.djsfromouterspace.com/#/venue/ That gives a pretty good idea of it. I would be setup on the stage in the pics and that's the main stage of the venue. The headliners are on that stage and they are John Acquaviva and Anthony Attalla so this has got to end up being up to par with heavy bass. I have in my arsenal all EAW 4 LA460 tops which stack ontop of 4 LA400's and if I can get some drivers re coned in time I'll have 4 SB850's. The SB's are old I'm not sure if they are the R version but they are not the Z's. Basically I'm looking for 2 things. Will I have enough to do this like they want? and where would I best place the SB850's? I figure the 460/400 stacks can go up on stage left and right and I was thinking put all 4 SB850's on the floor in the center of the stage. Want to make sure the bass is focused is the center of the dance floor. Also this would be the first time I've setup a center fill sub (should you guys agree that's the best route) I have the tools to do it properly as you know with Smaart but I'm gonna need to make sure I'm right about how to do it and all. I've not gotten to use Smaart in that way I've only used it to PEQ my UX8800 so far. That can wait till later tho.

Thanks -Mark

Comments

• Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    When is the event? Is the event DJs only or are there bands involved? Do you have a location where some baseline settings can be made on your system?(such as your driveway or yard). What version of SMAART do you have?
  • Options
    It's march 17th and yes all DJ's. I have Smaart 7 and attended the class for it but I'm not proficient with it yet as I've not gotten much time on it since the class. I can do pink noise in my garage and if it's nice enough out open the door so I'm not getting a reflection from it. It's all Electronic music also.
  • Options
    When you were in the SMAART class, do you remember doing Transfer Functions, making use of the Phase Trace and the Magnitude Trace? I am going to help you remember because you will need it to get your front loaded subs and your horn loaded subs firing at the same time. I feel that is your main issue. You can also to some PEQing while watching the Magnitude Trace. Do you have SMAART set up on your computer so that you are ready to do dual measurements? (measurement mic as well as a line level feed from your mixer to your interface). Sooner or later you will need to post some screen shots of Magnitude and Phase Traces from the measurements that you make so we cam determine what changes are necessary.
  • Options
    I have the Rational Acoustics usb interface (2 in 2 out). What I have been doing with Smaart is magnitude trace in points around the room then making an average. I then also have it setup to graph my PEQ's for the main channels so i can trace them to the magnitude average. I've just been using 6ms for my tops delay. That's what I got using Gadget's spl meter trick. This past weekend the bass was well focused as you walked through the dance floor area. The db peak was right in the middle with it going down equally forewards and backwards a few db. Combining the subs and where to put them would be a new avenue for me with Smaart. It's looking like after re cone I'll have 4 RCF L18-P200N drivers with an after market re cone. 2 RCF L18-P200N new drivers and one miss matched cabinet with RCF L18P300 and L18s800 drivers. Now another thing is I don't have any kind of distro to run my QSC Powerlight 6.0 pfc. I've only so far been running two cabinets and a 20A circuit usually does fine. I ran 3 cabinets on what I was told was 30A in a wall plug. It broke first cause there was lights on it also then only once more the rest of the night with only the amp. I've read with both channels driven @ 2 ohms it's approaching 100A. Unless the venue happens to have a wall circuit like the 30A one I ran into I'm not sure how may cabinets I'll be able to run. The only solution I can think of would be to use my Digam 5000 on the 4 SB850's and the 6.0 on the LA400's (opposite combo I've been using).
  • Options
    Can you do a walk through at the venue and scope out electricity? Go purchase one of those little yellow Edison circuit testers with the 3 lights on the back and test all circuits that are close to the stage.....this is info you should have ahead of time.

It sounds like you have basic venue measurements down OK for now. It's baseline stuff I want to work on with you. It will create a starting point that you set prior to setup at the venue. You will have a lot less to do at the venue.

I'm sure you have SMAART configuered correctly but I need to double check. With pink going through your system, when you start SMAART and you use the RTA, do you have a green trace (or bars) for the mic and a blue trace(bars) for the line from your mixer? If the answer is yes, are your levels in SMAART just barely hitting yellow on the meters?

If you switch from RTA to Transfer Function, You should be able to see Magnitude, Phase, and Coherence Traces. How are we doing so far?
  • Options
    I can ask if someone can find out for me the electricity situation but it's 3hrs away from me and I'm not getting paid enough to make the trip twice. As for Smaart yes yes and yes. Also have to use track to ballance out the coherence and make it go up to the top of the window.
  • Options
    Those little testers look like they only tell you if the circuit is wired properly. I need a circuit that is more than 20A to run that amp at 2ohms I believe. So unless they have made an outlet wired into a higher amp breaker I don't see me just being able to plug in with a short extension cord. They may have a 100A for distro connection but I don't have one of those beasts yet. I may be able to rent one.
  • Options
    You say you have a garage so I assume you have a driveway. Can it be available to you for a couple of hours at some point in time to do these measurements in? Inside the garage is less than ideal.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    That Digam amp is one amazing amp! It also uses minimum current... that amp will put as much power to the load as it can safely do. I have a Digam 7000 and my buddy has a 5000 like you. That amp ran 6 LABsubs at one time (12 x 12" woofers on a 10' folded horn)!

For that kind of rig, if I was seriously gonna tax it I'd want 100 amps, and wouldn't do it with less then 50 amp 240...Lights need to be on a different circuit, and can draw significantly more power than the audio, depending on the light show.

I don't think there are 30 amp "standard" Edison. Hopefully it's a performance venue that has adequate power for the acts that come through. You need a contract that specifies power needs for the system. So what amp/ amps are you using for the mains then?

Gadget
  • Options
    If the weather is nice I could do things outside. I live near Youngstown OH tho. I just got word there is 2 100A circuits at the venue setup for this use. I'm having them send me pics of the outlet and will have to rent the equiptment to tap into that. I can run everything else on 2 20A circuits normally. Mains are Bi amped with a QSC PLX3602 and a Crown CE1000. I'll be using my 325's for monitors and they run on a QSC PLX1802. I've seen the distro's that turn 100A into 5 20A's but what kind of box do I need to get 100A power to my amp? That 30A standard I ran across I believe was some incarnation the venue owner did himself.
  • Options
    Is it just cold outside or do you have 6 feet of snow to deal with as well? What is the daytime temp there?
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Looks like...
    today - 59 and rain (100%)
    thursday - 48 and mostly sunny (10%)
    friday - 64 and rain (40%)
    sat - 45 and rain (30%)
    sun - 40 and snow (30%)

signed.... the weather man (info gathered from weather.com)
  • Options
    Thursday it is!
  • Options
    Not happening here any time soon... just got 13 inches of snow here...I do have SMAART 7 now though :mrgreen:
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    We've had an unnaturally warm winter. It has not dipped below freezing (even at night in about 2 weeks). And only a couple of nights in the past month. Had several mid-70's days and a whole slew of upper-60's. :D:D Bugs are going to be a problem this summer, I fear. :?

DRA
  • Options
    Man I would LOVE that! Got the no riding hebejeebee's BAD :mrgreen: Last year Sonja went out on Feb 15, not this year.. winter has just now arrived...with a vengeance!
  • Options
    How about we go over what all I'm going to need to do and I'll do it next week after the weather passes. I have some other things that needed taken care of and this is the first I've sat down at my computer today and it's 12:45am. I've got alot to do before the 17th and this is the most important I know.
  • Options
    How about we go over what all I'm going to need to do and I'll do it next week after the weather passes. I have some other things that needed taken care of and this is the first I've sat down at my computer today and it's 12:45am. I've got alot to do before the 17th and this is the most important I know.

As you wish.

It's my understanding you are biamping the 460s. EAW's xo point filters are 80Hz BW24 - 1.58kHz LR24 for the 460 Low and 1.83kHz BW24 - thru for the 460 Hi. It looks like a gap between the Low and Hi which we can check out when measuring. EAWs setting for the 400 Sub is a 30Hz BW12 HPF with a 80 - 120Hz BW24 LPF. I personally would choose at least a BW18 if not a BW24 for the HPF

EAW's delay settings (for use with LA400) are 460 Hi 6.44ms, 460 Low 6.00ms, 400 Sub 0.00ms.

All of these EAW settings are a good starting point (if not a good final result)

To get started we will be doing groundplane measurements....do you remember Gadget posting the following pic a while back? In your driveway you will lay the 460 on it's side and do all of the measurements involving it's Hi's and Lows. When finished, you will sit an upright 460 on an upright 400 and check the alignment of the 400. For the groundplane measurements, position the mic about 12' - 15' from the 460 with the end of the mic about 1/16" from the ground. The purpose of groundplane is to eliminate reflections from the ground.

To be continued.......................

• Options
    Dennis, did you notice that he mentions his UX8800 :?: :?: :?: Doesn't that processor likely have the EAW settings either IN it or available for it???
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    Dennis, did you notice that he mentions his UX8800 :?: :?: :?: Doesn't that processor likely have the EAW settings either IN it or available for it???

I noticed he mentioned the UX8800 but never thought about it having settings already. My answer is I don't know. What needs to be accomplished is 400s aligned to 460s and the front loaded EAW subs aligned to the 400s....that part of the equation will have to be done manually either way. If BTproductions does everything manually it will make for a good "SMAART exercise".

Gadget, it was a good question to ask
  • Options
    Unfortunatly there is no greyboxes for the LA products which would add guinness focusing also. I have input the settings EAW specs in their data sheet. I crossover the 460's to the 400's at 100Hz BW24. I was previously using a HPF on the 400 at 30 Hz with a BW24 but when inputting settings into the UX8800 with Pilot software I noticed the Peq at 40 Hz 3.5db Bw .5 was seriously affected compared to a HPF of BW12 at 30Hz. So this past weekend I used them at those settings EAW specs and wow it was like a whole new sub. I didn't have to add any bump in my eqing for the bass it sounded perfect with it dead flat 100Hz and below. Here's the .pdf for the SB850's http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Processor_S ... ttings.pdf I have been using that LPF of 80Hz but not the HPF at 20Hz. I think more around 30 is where I had them sounding best but I'll have to check my DR260 to see where I left it. Running them with a LPF of 100Hz seems to be to high for them. Those drivers have an xmax of 9.8mm which also seems to coincide with that 6db Peq at 35Hz.
  • Options
    PART II

Prior to doing measurements, It would be good to do a basic gain structure and get the amp levels set correctly in relation to each other. I’m sure you have worked these levels out at live gigs and have a good idea of what works and where you want to be so lets start there.

Run pink noise through the 460. Click on “Find�. Enter the offset delay number that comes up and the Coherence Trace should stabilize. Do not move the measurement mic until we have completed the 460. Add volume until the Coh Trace settles. Add or subtract level from the individual 460 pass-bands so the magnitude trace levels out as much as possible. This should be enough level to do your measurements. At this point, using the Magnitude Trace you could do some basic PEQing to smooth out the 460s response. We are not looking for “ruler flat� here at this point…..just ballpark. DO NOT CHANGE ANY LEVELS FROM THIS POINT ON.

Capture the Mag and Phase trace for the 460 full range.
    Capture the Mag and Phase trace for the 460 Highs only
    Capture the Mag and Phase trace for the 460 Lows only

Hide the full range and Hi traces. Display the 460 low static trace. Run pink through the 460 Hi and observe the live trace (yellow or brown). So now you should have a static trace representing the Lows and a live trace representing the Highs.

In the Magnitude window, move the cursor to the xo point where the static trace and the live trace intersect. That cursor is also mirrored in the Phase window. If EAWs numbers are right, the cursor in the Phase window should appear where the static Phase trace and the live phase trace intersect (and ideally overlap). If this is not the case, add or subtract delay to the highs until the phase traces line up at the cursor location.

We will align the sub now and we will have to move the 460 to accomplish it so we will have to change the offset delay. Set the 400 upright. Set the 460 upright on top of the 400. Leave the mic in its current location but raise it up so that it is aimed at a point between the 460 low and the 460 horn. Run pink full range through the 460. Click on “find� and insert offset delay.

Capture the Mag and Phase trace for the 460 full range.
    Capture the Mag and Phase trace for the 460 Lows only
    Capture the Mag and Phase trace for the 400

Hide the full range and low 460 traces. Display the static 400 trace. Run pink through the 460 low and observe the live trace. So now you should have a static trace representing the 400 and a live trace representing the 460 lows.

In the Magnitude window, move the cursor to the xo point where the static trace and the live trace intersect. That cursor is also mirrored in the Phase window. If EAWs numbers are right, the cursor in the Phase window should appear where the static Phase trace and the live phase trace intersect (and ideally overlap). If this is not the case, add or subtract delay to the 460 lows until the phase traces line up at the cursor location.

The main part of your system should now be aligned. Time for a break.

To be continued………………………….
  • Options
    PART III

The final step is dealing with the SB850s. At this point, we have LA400s on either side of the stage that are aligned to the mains (LA460s). Once we have a line of subs across the entire stage (which is basically what you will end up with) you can’t really align subs to mains because you have bass coming from everywhere. What we can do is align front loaded subs to the folded horn subs so at least all of the subs will be firing at the same time.

I am going to assume nothing has moved since the last measurement (if it has, click on “find� and enter new offset delay number)

Set an upright SB850 beside the upright LA400 so the fronts of both of the cabinets are flush and aimed at the mic. Run pink through the 400.

Capture the Mag and Phase trace for the 400

Run pink through the SB850 and observe the live trace. While observing a static 400 trace and a live SB850 trace, add delay to the SB850 until the live Phase Trace overlaps the static Phase Trace. This pretty much covers the baseline alignment procedure.

No doubt you will want to do additional EQing and afterward , it would probably be good to repeat the alignment steps and make sure nothing changed.

Let me know how this goes.
  • Options
    Ok got through part 2 today. The first half went as expected .44ms is good from EAW. If anything .45ms overlayed in phase trace a little better. .46ms started going away in the other direction. Aligning the 400 to the 460 went a little different. I placed the mic just above the frame of the 15 below the compression horn. The mid horn is above that and fires with the woofer. About 15" away I got 8.54ms and just to be curious I moved it a few feet back and repeated the process and got 8.04ms. Now the way I stack these in pairs I front align the outside tops and the inside ones get set back some and aligned to the wedge of the cabinets. This gives me more middle coverage and I've yet to need more outside. So this number is going to be different when used in pairs with or without the SB850,s right? I'll get some pics up tomorrow it's nice outside I think I might start a campfire and enjoy it.

-Mark
  • Options
    Ok got through part 2 today. The first half went as expected .44ms is good from EAW. If anything .45ms overlayed in phase trace a little better. .46ms started going away in the other direction. Aligning the 400 to the 460 went a little different. I placed the mic just above the frame of the 15 below the compression horn. The mid horn is above that and fires with the woofer. About 15" away I got 8.54ms and just to be curious I moved it a few feet back and repeated the process and got 8.04ms. Now the way I stack these in pairs I front align the outside tops and the inside ones get set back some and aligned to the wedge of the cabinets. This gives me more middle coverage and I've yet to need more outside. So this number is going to be different when used in pairs with or without the SB850,s right? I'll get some pics up tomorrow it's nice outside I think I might start a campfire and enjoy it.

-Mark
    I found most of this post confusing. Where were you getting your delay numbers from? Other than the EAW specs, The only place in my explanation that the topic of delay came up was the offset delay added to the whole system. How were you coming up with numbers like 8.54ms? We were working with Phase Traces, not Impulse Response. And your mic found it's way to 15 INCHES from the speakers?? We spoke of adding in EAWs delay settings which were .44ms for the horn and then 6ms for the entire 460 in order to back it up to the 400 (which was supposedly lagging 6ms behind the 460 according to EAW) This would put the 460 horn at 6.44ms and the 460 woofer at 6ms and the 400 at 0ms of added delay. Can you try to explain in more detail what you were saying in your last post?
  • Options
    The 8.ms numbers were from the processor for the mid/lows channel. I'm posting these from my phone. I'll explain more in front of a keyboard.
  • Options
    Ok I'm gonna start with posting screen captures of just plain magnitude traces and see how this pic posting works out.
  • Options
    Ok here's the 460's phase trace with .44ms delay. I was able to accomplish this result following your instruction so if nothing else this shows I was able to recreate the exercise in Smaart. Now for the sub alignment which gets a bit weary.
  • Options
    Here's a pic of how my tops arrange on my subs when used in pairs. This will obviously affect the final delay number I choose but how?
  • Options
    Here's what I got doing the tops. My mic placement was more like 2ft out from the cabinets than 15". I didn't actually measure it and I see now in the txt you had feet not inches. I got that wrong from the numbers being in with the text and overlooked the hyphen. Typical machinist mistake. I don't know how much posting this screen captures will help but might as well show where I got. I'll put up the one where my mic was furthest away (about 5ft). I notice in the data now looking at it my delay to the tops grew smaller the further out the mic was. So my 8ms is going in the direction towards EAW's 6ms and when I did this with a spl meter I stopped at 6ms but it seemed as if it could end up being 7ms and I let it be at 6ms ever since then not having a better means for measurement. So I'll repeat this now and see what Smaart comes up with but here's what my screen looked like at about 5ft with 8ms delay to the mid/hi's.