Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Kick drum issue

jthunderbassjthunderbass Posts: 60
Im having Kick drum issues. :?
The band I do sound for is using
2 Peavey SP4 tops (215 2 way)
2 Peavey SP 2 Subs
Driverack PA+
1 QSC RMX 850 sterio on highs
2 QSC mono RMX 1450 Mids
2 QSC mono RMX 2450 Subs
I have no where neer enough punch from the subs. What crossovers should I be using? I have had issues with the subharmonic synthisizer where it collored the vocals. The way I turn on the system, is turn subs up till there loud enough, which they arnt, then mids, then highs. THe only time the subs where loud enough was when I accedently clipped the amps. One other question. For setting delay, do you multiply .89 by the distance from the loudest sound source to the speakers then add that to whatever your delay for mids and highs is?
Also on the new auto eq method, can I point the mic at the floor infront of the speaker stack or do I need to tilt the tops twords the floor, and also do you do it with the subs running too?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Is it the older SP118 with the 1500 series BW woofer or the newer SP118 with the Lo rider driver? Are you running stereo or Bridged?

Look,if it's the older subs with the BW drivers there is no way you'd ever likely get sufficient output, or low extension.. those weren't subwoofers but low mid drivers. Second if it is the lowrider subs even in bridged mono toy have no where near enough power @ 1200watts per speaker(in a perfect world) to get those things going WITHOUT clipping.

To get what is available out of those subs you would need to run bridged mono, and run them together, within a few inches of one another. Even then your under powered...HPFBW 18 @40 hz MINIMUM more like 45 hz, and LPF 100hz LR24... same for the tops, HPF 100hz LR24, LPF 2000 hz LR24 horn 2000hz LR24 .

As for the delay, what are you getting at here? Looks like your using delay for bi-amping the tops?

For the indoor method, lay the speaker on it;s side, place the mic on a piece of carpet or towel aimed at the speaker up to 25 feet away.. closer is not better and the closer the more proximity effect will affect the results, use something to tilt the speaker (on it's side remember) downward toward the mic.

Gadget
  • Options
    They are newer 218 subs. Loaded with I think Black Widow speakers. Im running one 2500 watt amp per box, mono bridged mode. Ill have to figure out how to get some elevation on the tops so we can put the subs in the middle of the stage on the dance floor.
    For the delay, I was under the impresson that you are supposed to delay the speaker stacks in relation to the loudest sound source from the stage.
    Thanks for all the help, my knoledge has doubled in the last 6 months! Im finding that it is true, the more you learn the less you know!
  • Options
    Ok, well I'm afraid with an 8 ohm speaker you are still only in the 1600-1700 watt area per speaker, and with a black widow driver you won't get that low end your looking for... To get the low end you need a driver capable of that. Like the low rider, or P audio C18 ELF, or Eminence Omega or Magnum driver.

I have looked into it and the SP series uses the Pro rider. Not the low rider, but presumably better than the Black widow. In the event you don't have the low end you need you ADD more cabs.. or bigger amps...You would get better results with 4800 watts per cab...

The thing here is that a proper woofer in a proper enclosure will elicit great results. Most of the front loaded cabs now have a serious driver that needs SERIOUS power to drive it. When A speaker like the Low Rider is coupled with the proper amp, say a 4000-5000 watt amp it really comes alive. With only half of that power you get LESS than half the output, and no where near the output. The woofers suspension is such that it really NEEDS POWER to excite them.

Other high efficiency designs are more forgiving power wise, but front loaded speakers rely on brute force to give them life.

As for the delay... I assume you have a DR240, DR260 or above? The way to do that is with PRE delay, and it takes FAR more than the DRPA platform with it's 10ms of delay to do this.

How it's done? The delay factor is in fact .885 ms/ foot, but we typically just round it to 1ms/foot. the ear can't really differentiate anything below about .5 -.7 ms. The delay is figured to the loudest stage element and that is typically the drum monitor, using pre delay. This delay is applied to the mains to allow the stage sound to catch up.

The sub synth is useless...and as you have experienced is useless for live sound.

As for the delay for alignment for the tops I assume you were using this thread perhaps?:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1080

Does that answer your questions?
    G
  • Options
    Yes it answers the questions! Thanks alot. Well the PA belongs to the band and I dont see them wanting to add more speakers. Ill just work with it and do the best I can.
    For my PA Im going to be getting 6 218 subs from a company called EAI, they are Eminence loaded and Ill be running 4500 watts per cab, or maybe 2 4500 watt amps per cab. For the tops I have a set of Sound Tech 215 2 way speakers, and they sound great. Ill be getting some more later on. Im thinking abvout getting 212 3 way speakers from EAI and then combine the 2 differnt setups. ALso maybe just do 2 212 2 way speakers then have 2 boxes made that have 4 8 inch mid range drivers. Im looking at getting Face Audio amps.
  • Options
    12, 18" drivers against 2 sound tech tops? :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Options
    there Eminence loded, the typical 215 2 way design. Ill be adding 2 more tops any way. :P
  • Options
    correction the peavey subs have the pro rider speakers in them
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Gadget wrote:
    12, 18" drivers against 2 sound tech tops? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Reggae?
  • Options
    Thanks for the help Gadget. The show went really well!!! For being 50% underpowered those subs are pounding now and the amps are not cliping!
    Sub harmonic synth is a waist of time. They should have put brick wall limiters in the PA+ instead.
    I cant wait to get a 260 so we can run the wedges on that. I might just have to order 4 260s!!!! :twisted:
    Other then the bar owner freaking out on me because the party bus left because it was "to loud", :x it went incredibly well!!! Cant wait for the show this weekend to see how it sounds! I did the new indoor method for auto eq, and I got a much better souind from the pa with less eqing. That room is hard to work in too. Gotta love accoustics!
  • Options
    Wait till you get the Studio live, I have been parallel compressing the drums on one of the Sub masters and UUFDA :shock: :shock: :shock: no sub synth needed! I also do that with the vocals using a very heavy footed compression scheme on those subgroups. Works great!
  • Options
    So when you use a sub out, are you even running the low output on the driverack? I also need to learn how to get the push pull effect on the kick and snare on the studio live, but that is not really a subject for here, because thats not a DBX topic.
  • Options
    Dude... we speak AUDIO here.. all things audio, so there is no subject that is off limits within that audio umbrella :mrgreen: I'm the king here (so to speak) and I say we can talk about anything we want..

I run a pretty loose ship here and as long as you don't start spamming and selling things (which IS against policy) then it's all good! :!:

Ok now I've been in this business a LOOONNNGGGG time, what the heck is :
    the push pull effect on the kick and snare

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

That's a new one on me...
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Gadget wrote:

I think it's the motions you go through moving the kik and snare (and all the rest of the gear) from the box truck to the stage and back.
  • Options
    2BE30B14.gif

Dennis... :mrgreen: YOU da MAN!
  • Options
    Dennis wrote:
    Gadget wrote:

I think it's the motions you go through moving the kik and snare (and all the rest of the gear) from the box truck to the stage and back.
    Dennis wrote:
    Post subject: Re: Kick drum issue

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:28 am

Push Pull is when you push faders up and pull them down!!!!! :lol:
    What I was refering to is, on an analog board you can get the kick drum to duck by putting a compressor on the kick and then use the side chain with a cable that is running to an aux send. Some people refer to it as the push pull effect because it sounds like the snare is pushing out and the kick drum is pulling in. It might be called just "duckling".
    Im not sure exactly what the correct term for it is.
  • Options
    Well :shock: I can't say I have still ever heard of that, nor can I see any benefit in it, but the compressors on the Studio Live are not "effect" type comps, think of them as high end Avalon type comps, made to be transparent in sound, you cannot set a release time longer than the attack time either.

There are however inserts per channel for that very purpose.
  • Options
    Dr. JDr. J Posts: 209
    Funny......... push pull effect? Probably like sidechain compression....... club music. Using compression as an effect rather than what it was designed for.