Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

2-way mono PA setup passive highs, powered low

u-donnyu-donny Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in PA Connectivity
I'm helping a small club with their setup, so I really don't want to screw this up and have them blow anything like they have in the past with no x-over, comp or limiter. My first suggestion was to get a DriveRack... and they did. Sweet!

I'm not a sound engineer, but I know enough to be able to take in what the pros have to offer.

Here's what we have:

2 - JBL MRX515 (passive highs, parallel mono)
1 - QSC RMX1450 (bridged mono - runs the 2 highs at 4 Ohms)
2 - Yorkville NX200S (10" powered subs)
1 - Behringer Eurodesk SX2442FX mixing console

Currently the board outputs in stereo to DriveRack L+R inputs, but ultimately I want these summed to mono before it gets to the QSC power amp to plug into channel 1 (for bridged mono operation).

I'm not sure how to set up the DriveRack to make sure it's doing what I want. In the first 2 settings of the setup wizard do I:

1) set Input Setup to mono or stereo?
2) then do I set the GEQ to Dual Mono or Stereo Linked?

3) If this is possible, will I be able to use just one XLR output of the DriveRack for the mono summed output?

How exactly should I handle the Low setup (2 Yorkville powered subs, mono)?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    1) set Input Setup to mono or stereo?
    2) then do I set the GEQ to Dual Mono or Stereo Linked?

3) If this is possible, will I be able to use just one XLR output of the DriveRack for the mono summed output?

How exactly should I handle the Low setup (2 Yorkville powered subs, mono)?

There are several ways to get where you want to be.
    Set up the Driverack as:
    Stereo (linked GEQ).
    Select the MRX515 passive (or select custom, it doesnt' matter).
    Select RMX 1450 (or custom, it doesn't matter).
    Select With Sub - Stereo.

Pan all channels on the mixer to -C-.
    Option 1 - connect XLR cables from L&R out of the mixer (1&2) into Left & Right in on the driverack. Connect to either (L or R) High output of DR to RMX. Connect either Low output to the Yorkville sub.
    Option 2 - connect from either L/R (1/2) to either L/R on DR then connect to corrosponding output on DR highs and lows (L/R), then to the appropriate amp / sub.

Set the x-over filter to 100hz LR to start, then move to 110hz and then down to 90hz. Also try raising the lows (upper) filter to about 200 hz and then move the highs (lower) to 90, 100, 110hz. Whichever sounds best, go with it. The Yorkville has internal processing to protect from extreme low end, so let it do its own thing there. I would set a low filter at around 35 hz BW24, as a fail safe though.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Unfortunately, you have not indicated which driverack you have.. and the other thing is the (lets assume you have the DRPA+) driverack only sums the low outputs...

HOWEVER, the mixer, with the pan controls centered is summed to mono. You have a mono out from the board but looks to be unbalanced (6dB less output).. So I'd stick with the main XLR outs, just pick one, say left, to the left input of the Driverack.

Now, if you want to, you can run dual mono and have the second Driverack input for a monitor feed. This is documented here:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2228

You are pretty much limited to 100hz as a system crossover point (3dB down @ 100hz, 110 hz max out for the subs) So I would recommend 100hz LR24 for the transition from subs to tops. (both sides of the crossover should be like type and crossover).

As for the subs, let them set the HPF and limiting for themselves. Looks like your pretty under powered all around..I would put both subs together in order to get 3dB of free bass output.

Same for the tops, under powered, even bridged mono operation will only offer 700 watts for each top. Doesn't even meet the program content rating.

In this case gain structure is the key to protecting the system, follow this post:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

Does that answer the questions you have?

Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    2 for the price of 1 :mrgreen::wink:
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yup you got me by by a few minutes...
  • Options
    u-donnyu-donny Posts: 3
    My lucky day!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it's a DRPA+

There was another amp (the Behringer copy of the RMX1450), so we had one amp per top speaker. It's sort of dead now.

Just knowing that full signal goes to both L+R outputs of the mixer when centered is a big help.

I'll take a good look at the gain structure and set up post then start reconfiguring the DR.

Thanks a lot for the in-depth help!