Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

PX or AFS 224 and setup options

s-times-time Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in PA Connectivity
Hello,
I'm an experienced mobile DJ new to the forum and I'd appreciate your advice as I'm about to make a purchase decision and connectivity decision.

I've currently got a powered setup: three EV ELX 112P's (two mains and a monitor that also serves as a backup main) along with two EV ELX 118P subs. I use a Denon DJ mixer and a dbx 215 Equalizer and my sources of audio are obviously multiple channels of pre-recorded music along with two microphones.

I've been looking to primarily get some feedback protection and have previously been looking at the Driverack PX but I'm not sure I really need all of the other features considering the DSP etc. built in to my speakers. I have an opportunity to pick up a like-new AFS 224 for half the retail and am looking for advice on whether or not to go with the AFS 224 for my application, or spend the extra 150 bucks or more on a PX. I'd appreciate any advice.

Also, considering I have a basic Denon DJ mixer, I don't have inserts to use for the AFS. Therefore I was thinking about my connectivity options but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track:
    a) feed the AFS 224 from the monitor out(s) and just use it for the monitor (I use the monitor out(s) so I can can independently control level from the mixer) b) feed the AFS 224 from the program outs and use it for the FOH speakers c) I could run in mono and use one side of the AFS 224 for the monitor and one side for the FOH (or in stereo but feed FOH and monitor all from program outs and just give up using the mixer's independent level control for the monitor and have to adjust the level on the monitor itself) d) Or, could I just put the AFS 224 pre-mixer and just run my two microphone channels direct into the AFS 224 and then out to my microphone inputs on the mixer? Would that work well to just impact the microphones and not the pre-recorded music or am I missing something?

Thanks again for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    I have been a DJ since 1970 formally starting my company in 1977. I have been using the driverack for my DJ, KJ and livesound rigs for more than 15 years. I have never had or worked on a system that didn't sound MUCH better when processed by a driverack.

I have most every driverack, and I can tell you that the AFS in the driverack is FAR superior to the AFS 224, funny thing is, I find that once I tune the system properly, I don't usually need the feedback suppressor...Last week I had 3 singers with wireless mics, on the dance floor...belting out old disco era hits right in front of 3 cheap powered 12" 2ways suspended from the front of the stage...and it was LOUD!!!

The driverack HAS the tools you need to make your system sound better, help prevent feedback, and protect your investment. Just because the EVs claims onboard DSP they can still sound better...