Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Stupid DriveRack! Don't let this happen to you.

DraDra Posts: 3,777
Actually not the Driveracks fault at all.
There is a learning experience for all.

At a recent multi-set-up gig last weekend, I lost a whole side of a QSC PLX3102 going to top cabs on the far side. It was working, then it wasn't. Luckily it was just tryouts / rehersal. All I did was organize all the input and cable runs. Swapped connections, the same side still would work. Parallel / Stereo switch made no difference. Put the subs together on the working side and moved the tops to the stereo 3602. Show time went off without a hitch. I was dreading sending off the amp for repair (though still under warranty). I put off digging the rack out and pulling the amp for a week. I wanted one last check, so I just connected a pink-noise unit that was handy. I noticed that the "working" channel was flashing pretty steady on the -10db LED (10 o'clock), but nothing on the "dead" channel.... until I maxed the input and got an occational flash.
I cross my tops at 100hz. OOPS. When I organized my cables (unplugged and replugged) I hit the x-over switch on the amp channel from FULL to Sub, which happens to be 100hz. Net result... a band pass from 100hz to 100hz.

Boy, did I feel stupid. But, boy did I feel relieved.

The one thing I don't like about the PLX amps is that speakons are hard to start / find, and apparantly easy to slide the filter switch.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
DRA

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hmmm doesn't sound like the driverack had ANYTHING to do with this scenario at all...

Maybe the headline should read...STUPID human! Driverack vindicated...

I had a surprise last weekend as well... doing sound for an acoustic duo, low end was just not right.. went to the sub and listened.. a AWFUL lot of intelligible info coming from the sub, went to the driverack, hmmm crossover on channel 1, LPF@ 121hz LR24... well, thats the right point, but there was a LOT more than 121hz in the sub...went to the back, sure enough plugged into # 3 an fullrange out... blasted 60 year old eyes anyway...
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Headlines draw in the reader, and are usually misleading.

Headline: Ants target sleeping humans.

Article: Mr Jones carried a torn 50 lb bag of sugar from his truck after grocery shopping. Unknowingly a small trail of sugar is laid from him normal parking spot to under his bed where he keeps the bag. The next morning his bed is surrounded by ants. He called an exterminator and his ant problem is gone.

:mrgreen:
    DRA