Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Internal i-Tech HD processor or continue using my DR260?

ymelamedymelamed Posts: 13
I'm in the process of upgrading my system, I have one pair of JBL SRX725, one pair of JBL SRX728s and I need new lighter weight amps. I'm thinking if I should get the i-Tech HD 9000 + 12000 and use their built in DSP And a laptop with SA for processing or keep using the DR260 and buy the MAi series amps, also 9000 and 12000?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I would love to have your problem... :mrgreen: Either is a good choice in my book. With the difference in cost though you could almost get a 4800! (then you'd have some serious DSP power)
    MA 12000i $3531.40
    Itech 12000 i $4383.49

MA 9000i $2679
    Itech $3530

A $1703 dollar difference!

I doubt there would be a lot of difference sonically, but there are a few more tools available in the driverack.. one more piece to carry.. but not that much...

Now, may I suggest an alternative? I think the best amps on the planet are the Powersoft/Digam amps. We have a couple of the older units, the Digam 5000 and 7000, simply the most powerful, and light amps available. We have run 6 LABsubs (3.2 ohm, dual 12" horn loaded) on one digam 5000 (on a 100' 14 gauge cable), and you could feel the bass 1/2 mile away! 1 rack space, 17 lbs, 1 rack space..AMAZING AMPS!
    Gadget
  • Options
    MctwinsMctwins Posts: 113
    Hi
    I would go with MAI and keep the 260 and be happy. :D
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I am a penny-pincher, so take my comments for what they're worth. I'd buy the new I-Nukes from B'ger. :shock: :lol::mrgreen: (just kidding).

With both amps having RSM / averaging limiters, that really frees up the (any) driverack's limiter to be used more appropriately. With these 2 Crowns as choices I'd choose the MAI, take my wife to a nice restaurant.

Gadget, 1 rack space sounds sweet though.

DRA
  • Options
    Oh but it is so much more than just the one rack space and 17 lbs..."There's a devil in them thar machines..." power like I have NEVER experienced. But yet power that seems somehow intelligent.. When the same amp that drove the 6 LABsubs outdoors was hooked to a pair of 8" 2 way Community bookshelf speakers (CPL 27) they could be driven to insanely loud levels and never got hurt, no matter how long they were driven at insane power levels.. it's almost like the amp knew EXACTLY where the breaking point was and avoided it...and that was full tilt boogie on the amp, wide open...full throttle, and never a hint of distortion or damage.

For sub duty there isn't another amp on the planet that can match the the low end punch of these amps. The detail and total lack of power compression for both low and high can really bring out the sound in a quality system. Truly a thing of beauty on all accounts. The reviews that you'll find out there in the pro audio community you will hear of the utter disbelief at the power and quality of these amp.

Simply AMAZING... :shock:
  • Options
    Thank you for all the info and advice.

These powersoft amps are not the cheapest you can find out there, about the same as the IT12000, I know they are great, almost devine, but I'm asking these questions to make kind of a feature comparison between the 260 and the internal DSP of the itech.

Gadget, where do you get these amp prices?
  • Options
    Thought that might catch your eye... :mrgreen:

No the Powersoft are more than the Digam, and neither is cheap but I picked up the Digam 7000 for $1400 last year.

The place id Northern Sound and Light :
    http://www.northernsound.net/?gclid=CNC ... DAod2mLoQQ

Those prices were just pulled up today so they are good for 30 days... you'll have to call for the price, but it will be the same..
    :wink:
  • Options
    For $1400 you must be talking about a used amp, if so then you must consider the itech 8000, they are running for around the $1800 and since I'm running 2x728s, one per side, it would give me much more power @4 ohm and all the DSP flexibility any man needs.

Any way, I need new amps.
  • Options
    Ya, used, they quit making that amp some years ago (Digam 5000 and 7000)

The Itech ones had so many problems I would never even consider buying new ones much less used ones...
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Gadget wrote:
    The Itech ones had so many problems I would never even consider buying new ones much less used ones...

What are the issues with them?
  • Options
    Not sure but in reading the Pro sound web sounded like a 50% or better failure rate...violent failures mostly power supply I assume? Son had rented a PA for a Laser light show, 4 Itechs, on EV speakers (brand new amps, system provided with the amps) 3 blew within the first 4 hours (violently... you know..let the smoke out :shock: ) the other just quit...show ruined, client pissed...

He won't touch a Crown now...Older MA's (we have a few that have been flawless) are fine, but as you know.. HEAVY :?
  • Options
    Don't know what went wrong but I find it hard to believe it is Crowns fault, I mean four amps almost at the same time, it sounds like too much voltage or a very unstable generator or something like that.

No company in the world can have a 50 percent failure rate for such an expensive product and stay in business, and even if it will stay in business, it will defiantly not have the reputation Crown has. To me, Crown has always provided super solid amps at all conditions and demands. A glitch here and there are acceptable as long as the company takes responsibility for it like they did in the ribbon cable fault on the older XTIs. I don't know where you get your info but I've been an active member on PSW forums for more then two years and I don't recall seeing such failure rate.
  • Options
    The problem goes back farther than that..and the PSW search function has always been less than useless or I would be able to pull up voluminous threads about failure and problems... ruined shows, and how big production companies sold entire stables of amp[s due to failures.

The amps were run off of a 150 KW generator, my son is an engineer and this was a LASER show where the power has to be extremely stable. He was anal about verifying sine wave stability and voltage output.

I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you I'm telling you the I tech ones were plagued with problems...period.
  • Options
    Did quite a bit more research and found that the problems you are talking about were before 2008, the amps mostly effected were the IT4000 but the rest of the line as well. I will refere you to this thread on PSW to see what Tim McCulloch is writing about their reliability nowadays, they own 50 of them.

My conclusions from this are:
    1. Older series i-Techs newer then 2008 and the newer i-Tech HDs are as reliable as the best in the industry.
    2. Never use new gear untested by others.

Sorry to hear you went through such a bad experience.
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    ymelamed wrote:
    Did quite a bit more research and found that the problems you are talking about were before 2008, the amps mostly effected were the IT4000 but the rest of the line as well. I will refere you to this thread on PSW to see what Tim McCulloch is writing about their reliability nowadays, they own 50 of them.

My conclusions from this are:
    1. Older series i-Techs newer then 2008 and the newer i-Tech HDs are as reliable as the best in the industry.
    2. Never use new gear untested by others.

Sorry to hear you went through such a bad experience.

I assume i-techs are manufactured in China. I wonder if the failures pre 2008 coincided with the move to Chinese manufacturing and bugs needed to be worked out of the system. Ask Mackie about bugs.......
  • Options
    Nope, made in the US, I guess any time a completely new technology is adopted then birth pangs are unavoidable.

Mackie is a great company as well despite it's share of bugs.