Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard
Options

RTA with Driverack PX

thunderrainbandthunderrainband Posts: 10
edited April 2012 in Configuration Wizard
I have read through what seems to be hours of forum posts and don't see the answer to my question so I hope someone here can assist.

Gadget, DRA and others have made it clear that the owner manual RTA process is a joke and the recommended process should be (1) speaker at a time with the RTA mic on a pillow located on the floor with the speaker pole mounted if possible. Again measured off axis to get the best results which is determined by ear. ( think I got their point clearly? )

When setting up the config wizard the PX prompts you to input your speaker setup. If I'm setting up a 2x2 system of any nature the wizard expects that all 4 speakers are on during the RTA. If they are not all on the configuration process never completes. Secondly, if the RTA mic is not placed in the middle of the two speakers (or close to the middle) the PX askes you to turn up the speaker volume on the far side speaker to copensate for the difference in distance.

How the heck do I test 1 speaker at a time (tops in question) and save the program speaker tuning to affect the entire setup?

I am still a bit new to the Driverack but have noticed some sonic improvements to the setup. I just got the Yorkville setup below and it is a noticeable improvment over the EV setup but I want to really understand the PX before I put $1000 into the Driverack260.

Gear:
A&H Mix Wiz3
(2) Yorkville U15P
(2) Yorkville LS801P

2nd setup
A&H Mix Wiz2
(4) EV LX115P
(4) EV LX 118P

many thanks for helping out this newby :lol:

** Any links to videos showing the setup process would be fantastic! If I can watch someone do a proper setup in real time it has more impact than piecing together info on the forums.

Any well versed Driverack forum contributors that would be willing to shoot a video will benefit the entire group and cut down on duplicate questions while providing a visual aid to thoes of us who are not as knowledgable with the product.***

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Never ever suggested putting the mic on a pillow...something soft, like a towel or carpet...laid on the ground.
    When setting up the config wizard the PX prompts you to input your speaker setup. If I'm setting up a 2x2 system of any nature the wizard expects that all 4 speakers are on during the RTA.

Not so much...the wizard/mic/driverack has NO idea what the configuration is, it only responds to the frequency related VOLUME based information present at the mic...so it doesn't care if there is 1 tiny Radio Shack speaker or 10 JBL SRX 725's it will simply tell you what the frequency spectrum available at any given volume is.
    If they are not all on the configuration process never completes.

Not true... at least not with my PX, only 2 things can cause the "NOT finished"
    1. More than 4 bands fully cut or fully boosted on the GEQ after the process has completed
    2. You have chosen dual mono in the config mode and it wants to proceed to the next channel.

The former is likely caused by poorly chosen speaker placement, poor mic orientation, or position, improper crossover setup, bad speaker...
    Secondly, if the RTA mic is not placed in the middle of the two speakers (or close to the middle)

the PX askes you to turn up the speaker volume on the far side speaker to compensate for the difference in distance.

I have no idea what this is, again it's not available in my PX. How would a single mic know if there was more than 1 speaker being used :? I just read through the online (latest) manual and it says NOTHING about this...There IS a "turn up" and "Turn down" prompt but these are to make sure you get an accurate Auto EQ, too loud and you clip the front end of the PX and too soft and there isn't enough SPL to get a proper sample...

I think your reading too much into this...If you put the mic between two speakers in a room , and then exacerbating it with a mic on a stand, imagine how many paths (direct and reflected) there are to the mic...and if any wave, or waves arrive at the mic 1/4 of a wavelength out of phase there will be total cancellation of that frequency.. at the mic position, move the mic a few inches and that frequency is no longer a problem but another, or others will take the place...
    How the heck do I test 1 speaker at a time (tops in question) and save the program speaker tuning to affect the entire setup?

The idea is to get the speaker in a freefield position (no boundaries to work against). this then allows you to have a fullrange setup also when subs are not needed.

Indoor Auto EQ of the low end is particularly problematic... we like to say that below 170hz the auto EQ is unreliable because of modes and standing waves. These will cause the Auto EQ to leave the low end artificially low, or cut by a bunch.

I am still a bit new to the Driverack but have noticed some sonic improvements to the setup. I just got the Yorkville setup below and it is a noticeable improvment over the EV setup but I want to really understand the PX before I put $1000 into the Driverack260.

There was supposedly an updated Auto EQ algorithm in the newest PX, or you could have it upgraded by sending it in. I have an inquiry in but haven't been given an official explanation of what the change is...If you are stateside, the 260 can be purchased through Northern Sound and Light for $781, and if you bring that price quote to Guitar center, some have matched the price...