Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Crown. JBL. No RTA Mic. = Manual Settings!

jakeschultz1985jakeschultz1985 Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in PA General Discussion
I have spent hours upon hours reading these forums, the manuals, and researching other sites. I have updated my firmware to the new version and I am using the auto settings, but I do not want to use an RTA mic. I need to adjust my eq, can someone help me and give some tips?! Here is my mobile dj setup:

(2) Pioneer CDJ 850 cd/usb players
(1) Pioneer DJM 700 mixer
(1) DBX driverack PA+
(1) Crown XTi 4002 for subs
(1) Crown XTi 2002 for highs
(2) MRX 515
(2) MRX 518s
(1) 4 channel wireless mic VocoPro UHF-5800
(1) Furman M-8Dx power conditioner

"For the love of good music, good times, & good people"

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I have updated my firmware to the new version and I am using the auto settings, but I do not want to use an RTA mic.

Why?

Almost every speaker sounds different, the drivers may be different batches, the crossovers might be slightly different. JBL MR series are notorious for needing EQ but each speaker needs to be judged on it's own merit.

The auto EQ process in my opinion as postulated by dbx is ridiculous... BUT the process, if done properly CAN work wonders. One speaker outdoors away from all reflective surfaces flattened properly will be very revealing... if you don't believe me about differences do an auto eq on both speakers and see for yourself.

Indoors, one stack at a time, on a speaker stand if possible (free space) mic 25 feet out (if possible) on the floor, on a towel or carpet (soft surface) flat response, and then you can compare the indoor and outdoor response to see what the room is doing to your sound.

Don't expect anyone to be able to give you eq setups for your speakers ...it won't work and it's a bad idea...