Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

260 has RMS limiting?

DraDra Posts: 3,777
Quote from an Harmony Central thread..."The DR260 has limiting with RMS detecting on the basic limiter and a peak let-thru that IIRC is adjustable." by Aged Horse, a respected member.

Can I get clarification or confirmation?

DRA

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    HUH? Care to expound further so we can figure out if there is actually a question or something in there?
  • Options
    True or false - "The DR260 has limiting with RMS detecting on the basic limiter and a peak let-thru that IIRC is adjustable."

Explanation?
    I thought the limiters were peak only. But, I hope that the statement is true.

DRA
  • Options
    I would have to say that it's not an RMS limiter used in the 260. While it is true it has an absolute peak stop limiter, it also has a variable knee limiter which would be closer to an RMS limiter but then I really don't have what I would consider a good complete explanation of what a true RMS limiter is.

Here is what Presonus has to say about it:
    A true analog peak limiter is not just a compressor with a high ratio. A compressor’s detector circuit is usually designed to detect RMS, or average, levels, so transient peaks will usually overshoot a compressor’s threshold level. A true peak limiter employs a detector circuit that responds to peak energy levels and thus reacts faster.

The overshoot in the dbx compressors not the peal stop , but the normal limiter, but alas not RMS I don't think.

The compressors on the Studiolive mixers are VERY transparent, very high end sounding by design, they are almost like not having compressors on at all except for the results. Heavy handed compression/limiting is very audible, and undesirable in my opinion.
  • Options
    This all started when I asked about what amp others had used on Peavey Impulse II personal monitors (50/100/200 16 ohm 100hz-20Khz 90db 1w 1m) I just added them to my system for washing a banquet head table setting. One on each end, about 12' up, angled down, max throw required - 40'. Goal SPL = 80db max at that distance. Content is spoken word and LIGHT music only.

Ran them on one side of a QSC PLX3102 600w into the summed load (8 ohm). I really dialed the amp back to maybe 8 o'clock, and really babied them because the amp's potential is still there. My goal is confidence against damage. One reply was to just use the 260's limiter. I responded with the the "peak only" problem. That is when another replied that the limiter was RMS with the added Peak (overshoot).

I want that to be true. What would be the best way to test it? Pink noise, low threashhold, toggle overshoot off and on?
    You got a reliable / knowlegable source at DBX?
    DRA
  • Options
    THIS JUST IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mr. Dra you have gotten your wish...The dbx 260 has RMS limiters! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    What???!!!

Care to expound on that a bit? :mrgreen: worries me.
    What is the back story? And why have we never known that? Why hasn't DBX screamed that from the roof-tops? Why doesn't DBX write manuals like Yamaha?

DRA (You better not me yanking my chain :wink: )
  • Options
    I personally spoke to my friend and here is a direct quote.
    Hello Gary.
    Things are going well here. Just back from vacation.
    The 260 limiters are indeed RMS. Some of the other products have a peakstopplus. That is as I'm sure you already know a brick wall.
    As with all limiters you will find that the voltage output still increases depending on the spectrum of frequencies that are at limit.
    Be well and catch you again soon.

Nothing in the actual literature I can tell you about...