Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Need new PA mains

We need new PA mains. We currently have the Yamaha BR15 mains along with a QSC kw181 sub. We also have for the mains a QSC gx5 power amp. Can you recommend the best 15 speaker that is under 400 dollars PER an unpowered PA speaker?
I suppose anything would be an upgrade over our current speaker?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If you always use subs, why not go to a 12" top. Save $75-100 each box and get better clarity in the vocals.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    The Yamaha's are the only speaker in that price range even worth considering... The next step up in a real speaker is the Peavey SP2, and they are in the $650 -$700 range, but the ones I recommend are D.A.S. RF 1264, but they are just over $700.. but FAR and away the best speakers in their class, or the next couple above it even.

Anything else would be a sideways step. You might be able to score some better used speakers...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! Dra, we have only one kw181.
  • Options
    One sub only has NO bearing on Dra's recommendation...
  • Options
    Considering price, we're thinking about just replacing the speaker instead, does that sound like a viable option? If so, can anyone recommend a good or great speaker?
  • Options
    Considering price, we're thinking about just replacing the speaker instead,

What speaker is it that you are speaking of? Please be specific...
  • Options
    I am confused as well.
    You were looking to upgrade from some Yamaha speakers. Now you are just considering replacing them? Do you mean buying new Yamahas?

Get what you want, not what you can afford right now. If you current speaker get you by, just deal with it for now and save a bit more money. In a few weeks or months, you start thinking that you have $100-200 to spend on something else.

DRA
  • Options
    Initially we thought about replacing the whole cabinet, but now we just want to replace the speaker. There is a tweater and a 15 inch woofer. We'll stick to replacing the 15" speaker itself. I am just trying to get an idea if there are certain speakers better than others.
    Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    I am just trying to get an idea if there are certain speakers better than others

Yes, the correct replacement speaker for the BR15 would be a good choice. or recone.
  • Options
    Dennis speaks the truth. A factory replacement or reconed by an authorized (real) reconer. Reconing will cost about 1/2 the money. I'd recone if there is someone within driving distance.

DRA
  • Options
    Those speakers are Eminence... they are a stamped basket speaker and are not worth re-coning most likely...Contact Loud Speakers Plus
    http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/
    There will be a small tag (white usually) with a number on it.... give that number to Jay and he will set you up.