Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

Question before buying.

astric69astric69 Posts: 14
edited May 2012 in PA Connectivity
I am thinking of buying a DriveRack PA+ to run my bands PA.
We have two 3-Way Cabs that can be Tri-Amped and two 2x18 subs. Would the DriveRack PA+ work with this or how should I configure this system? Would it sound as good to run the 3-Ways in full range instead of Tri-Amped? Also would I run the monitors through this or just leave them the way they are through my board, we are daisy chaining the three powered 2x10’s on the front on Aux1 and then the 1x15 for the drummer on Aux2. The board is a Peavy FX 24. This board has a stereo L and R or Dual Mono or Mono/Sub.

http://www.peavey.com/products/proaudio ... ade%3B.cfm

Here are most of the specs on what I have.

Carvin TRX153N 3 Way Cabs, want to Tri-Amp

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TRX153N

System Type: 15-inch 3-Way, bass-reflex
Frequency Response (-10dB): 50 Hz - 20 kHz
Frequency Response (-3dB): 60 Hz - 18 kHz
Coverage Pattern: 60H x 40V
Crossover: 3-Way with Speaker Guardâ„¢ HF protection
Crossover Frequency: 500, 2.5 k Hz
Power: 600w Continuous / 1200w Program / 2400w Peak
Recommended Amplifier Power: 800 - 1600w
Sensitivity (1w @ 1m): 100dB
Maximum SPL: 128dB
LF Driver: 15-inch Neodymium 3-inch VC
MF Driver: 8-inch Neodymium 1.75-inch VC
HF Driver: 1-inch exit Neodymium 1.75-inch VC
Nominal Impedance full range: 8 ohms
Tri-amp LF: 8 ohms 600w / 1200w / 2400w
Tri-amp MF: 8 ohms 200w / 400w / 800w
Tri-amp HF: 8 ohms 60w / 120w / 240w

Carvin TRX218N Subs

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TRX218N

System Type: Dual 18-inch Sub, Bass-Reflex
Frequency Response (-10dB): 24 Hz - 2K Hz
Frequency Response (-3dB): 30 Hz - 1.5K Hz
Coverage Pattern: Omni
Crossover: None
Crossover Frequency: Recommended 90-150 Hz
Power: 1600w Continuous / 3200w Program / 6400w Peak
Recommended Amplifier Power: 2000 - 3200w
Sensitivity (1w @ 1m): 102dB
Maximum SPL: 134dB
LF Driver: Dual 18-inch Neodymium 4-inch VC
Nominal Impedance Full Range: 4 ohms

Amps

2 Carvin DCM200L for the subs

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/DCM2000L

OUTPUT POWER
1 CHANNEL RMS continuous
- 8 ohms: 400 watts
- 4 ohms: 700 watts
- 2 ohms: 1150 watts
BOTH CH RMS continuous
- 8 ohms: 325/325 watts
- 4 ohms: 600/600 watts
- 2 ohms: 1000/1000 watts
BRIDGED RMS continuous
- 8 ohms bridged: 1200 watts
- 4 ohms bridged: 2000 watts

- Frequency Response: +-.5 dB 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- THD< 0.03% @ 50% output, <.1% 20-20 kHz @ 90% output
- Output Topology: CLASS A/B
- Power Supply: Switchmode - 60% reserve - see kick drum test
- Damping Factor: >500
- Slew Rate: bridged mode >50v/µs
- Sensitivity (@ 4Ω): 1.0 Vrms
- Signal to Noise Ratio: Greater than 106 dB
- Input Impedance: >20K ohm balanced
- Speaker Guardâ„¢ DC protection for drivers
- Soft-start power-ups: prevents AC breakers from tripping
- Over-Current: protected
- Under-Voltage: protected
- Thermal: protected
- Fan: variable speed
- Shock-proof SMT construction
- FR4 fire retardant circuit boards

1 Crown XLS 402

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm

2 other Carver amps I do not know the specs right now.

Three 2x10 Kustom powered Monitors

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... 2000000000
KPC210MP Dual 10" Powered Monitor Speaker Specifications:
• RMS OUTPUT: 100W
• Speakers: 10" Special Design
• Horn: Piezo Driver
• Input: XLR Balanced / 1/4" Balanced, Unbalanced
• Line out: 1/4" Balanced, Unbalanced
• Frequency Response: 100Hz-20kHz
• Input Sensitivity: 1 VRMS
• Sensitivity: 94dB 1W/1M
• Crossover frequency: N/A
• Dimensions: 14"W x 30.7"H x 9.5"D
• Dimensions (mm): 356W x 780H x 241D
• Weight: 36.4 lb.; 16.5kg

One Kustom 1x15 powered monitor
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... or-speaker
• RMS OUTPUT: 100W
• Speaker: 15" Special Design
• Horn: Piezo Driver
• Input: XLR Balanced / 1/4" Balanced, Unbalanced
• Line out: 1/4" Balanced, Unbalanced
• Frequency Response: 45Hz–20Khz
• Input Sensitivity: 1 VRMS
• Sensitivity: 97dB 1W/1M
• Crossover frequency: N/A
• Dimensions: 19"W x 24"H x 14.6"D
• Dimensions (mm): 483W x 610H x 370D
• Weight: 45.2lb.; 20.5kg

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yes, if it was properly tuned it would sound MUCH better, and get louder with less power...

However, the DRPA+ won't do 4 way...The DR260 will though.
  • astric69astric69 Posts: 14
    Cool, I figured from reading some of the other posts. I'll order the one you mentioned then.

So will it be better to run the monitors through it too?

From looking at the speaker specs, will I have any trouble setting them up? I'll start reading all the tutorials. Just use custom settings and program them in. The crown amp should be in there from what I read.
    Oh HELL ya! In the FAQ section I have a writeup of my monitors doing 121.7dB and I can put the mic right in the horn of the monitor (10-12" away) and no feedback, then take the mike and bark into it and it about blows your head off...

You will need to run Mono 4 way for FOH and you'll have one monitor mix.

I am using a DR240 (discontinued), and a DRPA (discontinued) to run 4 bi-amp monitors at my primary venue and I have a 4800 running 4 bi-amp monitors on my large rig...

Here's the 121.7 article:
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2410

Here's a good start thread:
    viewforum.php?f=61

and when you get the 260 we'll get you hooked up.
    I downloaded the GUI. I am going to try this as a 1x4 on input A then None on input B for the monitors. Does this mean I have to only use one monitor mix instead of the two we are using now?

I found another post that was pretty much using the same speaker setup as me. I had to put custom on all of the amps except one. I'll have to read up on how to set the custom amp settings somewhere.
    I submited my last post before I read yours.

Thanks for the info.

I have ordered the Carvin cabs and subs but they havnt shipped yet. What would you suggest for a 4 way system. I just liked the idea of the 8 line speakon cables. I'm hoping I can link the cabs to the subs using the through jack and then just have one cable from each stack going into the amp rack.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes, only on separate mix. Just pick the one that give you the most trouble (usually lead vocals).
    You'll need to go ahead an get the 8-pin panel jacks (and panel) and start wiring your amp rack. Draw out a detailed wiring layout for the rack and the connector. Color code and label the drawing and the amps (front and back) and USE it, then put it in a zip-lock bag and tape inside the amp rack.
    Check, re-check, and double check the wiring. There are a lot of opportunities to fry your horns: Routing in the 260, connections at the 260, input connections at the amps, and output connections.

DRA

PS - you'll love the 260
    I'm not ALWAYS not confused :wink: by Mr. Dra's posts... I think what he meant is you can do the 4 way mono FOH mix AND you can actually feed 2 different monitors (and even EQ/dynamics and delay them differently, even have a bi-amp monitor mix ) but you will only have 1 feed. (2 inputs on the 260 FOH and monitor, and 6 outs, 4 for the FOH and 2 for monitors) Now even with one monitor feed you can feed any number of actual monitors 1, 2, 6, 13...but they would all be fed from the same input.

Yes it's nice to have only one cable going to the speakers but the 8 conductor stuff is HEAVY!!! and not cheap. Write yourself a program for the 260 and send it to me in an email and I'll peruse it and make sure you got it right...here is a link to the process:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2219
    Yes. One monitor MIX. As Gadget said, you CAN have two (times infinity) individually ADJUSTABLE and PARAMETERABLE :wink: sends.

I like to put about 1.5 secs of delay on the drummers monitor. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

DRA
    I sent an email through here but I didn't see where I could add any attachments. Just got 70ft of the 8 conductor speaker cable in. Got six 8 pole speakon connectors and 2 females for the rack and am ready to set up as soon as my speakers come in.

Right now here is our setup.
    This is per side.
    High mids - 1x12 fender with horn
    Low mids - 2x12 fender with horn
    Lows - 2x15 Kustoms with horns removed
    Subs - 2x15 Kustoms with horns removed
    Highs - 2 Horns from the Kustoms

Going to Sonic Maximizer then to 5 way mono crossover

I am hoping that making this setup smaller but adding the 18's will make it sound better. Will I just need to get rid of the sonic maximizer then?
    Hopefully you have at least a Carvin DCM 2000
    2 Carvin DCM200L for the subs

For the subs, I'd rather see a DCM 4000 or better being as how the speakers are rated 1600/3200/6400 watts, meaning program power should be about 3200 watts. At 2000 watts you are feeding each woofer with only 1000 watts... probably not enough to get pumping to good for live sound reinforcement...
    Well it was a package deal. I bought the two 2x18s and 2 amps and 2 50' speakons. I just figured they send the amps to match the subs.
    Maybe for DJ work, but for live work it takes a LOT of power to get the low end right.. I have also bought DCM 4000's before and found them gutless...
    well we are just a small band playing in small bars for like 50-80 people. As long as it sounds at least a little better than before that would rule.
    maybe I should call them and have the amps canceled and take the speakons off too since we dont even need them either. Then you could suggest some sweet amps for me to get.
    Here is a file of the speaker settings I found on the Carvin's loudspeaker management manual.
    Had you not just bought the 8x cable and speakons, we might have advised you to back up and punt. Still may. Can you cancel the entire order? What is your total budget? How much are you in to the cable, etc? Would you be happy with a tri-amped system (bi-amp tops and subs)? You can lose an amp and put that money into better (maybe smaller) speakers. I bet Gadget can recommend a smaller and more kicking sytem for you. One that can be scaled up as you grow.
    Not bashing what you have, just providing options.

DRA