Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Choosing custom reduces amount of available delay?

sirdughsirdugh Posts: 4
Thanks in advance for any help provided to this driverack novice. I purchased a 260 some time ago for an event that was ultimately canceled and haven't experimented with it much since. I've read the FAQ and manual and perused the forum but can't seem to find an answer for my question.

Here is the situation:

I've been asked (at the last minute) to provide sound for a large outdoor commencement ceremony. I'm using QSC HPR speakers as FOH and also for the delays. I've read enough to understand that I'm never going to be able to load the presets for the QSCs in the 260. I'm happy with the crossovers and limiters in the QSCs and therefore want to keep things as simple as possible for this event and use only the delay for the side fill speakers and possibly a bit of compression and AFS.

I chose to customize program 8: Stereo with 2 delays. However, once I go through the wizard and select "custom" for the speakers and amp(via the driveware), the available delays for channels 5 and 6 is reduced from 100ms to 22 ms. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I've considered using one of the speaker presets (since I'm not planning on using the crossovers anyway). Would this help?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    There is 2.7 secs of total delay. Most that any stage can have is 1.3 secs. As you use delay it gets pulled from the pool. Go into the config mode and change all delay modules to 0ms. Then put the delay where you need it.

At basically 1' = 1 msec, I don't think that you'll have an issue, getting all the delay you'll need.

DRA
  • Options
    If you use the Driveware GUI, not that the available delay is listed in the lower left corner of the main route screen. As you change each module the time will change. Also, for your application, you really don't need any in the pre-x-over modules.

DRA
  • Options
    Also, just learned this myself. If any modules are "linked" the delay time will be "times'd" by the number of modules. For example, if you have outputs 1, 2, & 3 (delays) linked, and you select a delay of 200ms, then you will use up 600ms (3 mod x 200ms).

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I had noticed the available delay time in the lower left corner. It seemed like the available delay time changed when I changed from a preset to custom which didn't make any sense to me. However, I did make changes in other modules and will reset the program and watch the delay time as I go through those changes in an attempt to pinpoint when the change happens. Would changes to AFS and compression change the available delay time?

As you stated, I won't be using any delay in the pre. However, I did think it a bit strange that as I played around, it would allow up to 1.3 sec in the pre-delay but only 100 ms in the post.

I'll check all the delay settings as you suggest. Thanks again for the input.
  • Options
    I was able to figure it out given your suggestions. Thank you so much.

It did indeed have to do with the wizard setup. For some reason, each time I ran the wizard in order to change the speakers and amp to "custom" to accomodate the HPRs, it changed the pre-delay to 1.3 sec and ate up all of the available delay. Weird.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You can also re-allocate the delay in the config mode. You can also set the delay measurement to feet or inches as well. your not stuck calculating milliseconds...and the figure is .885 ms / foot (not really important in short distances, but @ 500 feet it amounts to about 50 feet...)