Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

EV ZXA5, PA+, and JBL 18s?

djrobdjrob Posts: 22
edited May 2012 in PA General Discussion
I will soon be in possession of a pair of EV ZXA1 powered speakers.

From what I've read on the forum, there is no need to program a parametric EQ in my PA+ due to the internal circuitry in the EVs.

My question...and this is for mobile DJ'ing applications...when I want to add low end to this setup, can I use the JBL MP218s I already have (a passive pair of 18s) or is that a bad idea?

http://www.jblpro.com/mpro/PDF/MP418S.pdf

If so, what is the best way of going about getting that set up utilizing my PA+?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    From what I've read on the forum, there is no need to program a parametric EQ in my PA+ due to the internal circuitry in the EVs.

Really, where did you get that notion? You can use the GEQ and or the Peq's if you wish. You actually have a whole palate of tools with the driverack. Every speaker has it's weaknesses and the driverack can offer any number of soltions. You might not feel you need to, but it's always a possibility, and with room buildup in the mid and low end I would think you might just want to.

Yes, you can most certainly add those subs to the Zxa's. It's would be very easy. I certainly wouldn't want to just plug it all in and let the speakers decide which plays what...
  • Options
    Sorry, I'll be getting the ZXA5s (my subject and my post had shown two different speakers)...

My comment on not adjusting the PEQ was based on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2691&hilit=zxa5

For the JBL MP218s, I have these setup on the PA+ as follows:
    Set the Mid outs with a lopass filter of 45 hz BW18, and the hipass @ 100hz LR24

What else can I do with a setup like this (two EVZXA5s and up to two JBL MP218s)?

I do have the reference mic, would you recommend I setup the system in an open area to get a good baseline?

Thanks
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Save your EQs for tuning to specific venues you are working in.

The speakers may or may not need eqing but I prefer the PEQ's for room interactions, more broad sweeping EQ moves, like the 200-500hz buildup in rooms...

Yes I would definitely do and outdoor freespace flattening and see what you think. If nothing else you might find a flat preset useful for difficult live rooms.

Also no speakers response is linear across the frequency range at all volumes... So set up your presets with a few different volumes.

The setup you propose is fine, but that would be subs 45hz - 100hz and Zxa5's from 100hz > The HPF for the subs depends on the power you have available and what your doing with them, IE playback or livesound. For DJ work the most prudent setup would be powering the subs With no more than 1200 watts each unless you can be very attentive of the power you throw at the subs (assuming you don't want to hurt the subs.. that is..) NO clipping ...
  • Options
    I would be powering the subs with a QSC 3402, and in stereo those are rated at 1100W so I think that would be a pretty good place to be.

That being said, does that change anything on the HPF of the subs?

Any other advice for this setup?

As always, thank you!