Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

AFS 224 and Kustom Monitors

I guess I'm stupid lol. I use a Driverack PA+ on my mains which my Amps have been set up by a professional audio guy who does great work, ran sound for Cheap Trick, The Chicago Bears Draft Day and Events, Styx, Dennis Deyoung, etc. Regardless, I use a AFS 224 and EQ mix for my monitors. Those things squeal like a banshee. I've set 24 fixed one route, 24 Live, 1/2 and 1/2 and while it takes out some it does not cure the issue. Its as if I have to keep the amp about 50% power to eliminate.

I have the Aux Send to the monitors running through the DBX 231 and DBX AFS 224 for backing vocals and I will have the lead singer with a Bayern Dynamic mic going through an insert for the second channel of the AFS 224 for the monitors. Its insanity! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Set up a different preset for the monitors in the DRPA+. Auto EQ the monitor/s one at a time for flat frequency response. Transfer the EQ curve to the 231's have the EQ before the FBX unit. You can only get so loud, ANY monitor can be made to feed back.

I got 121.5 dB out of my monitors with the 260 and I could still hold the mic in the horn less than a foot away without feedback.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2410
  • Options
    Gadget,

The DRPA+ only runs my mains and tops at that. The monitors are not tied into the Driverack, EQ is before the AFS224. I will hook up the Crown Xti 2000 and see if I can tweak anything in BandManager. The Audio Engineer did just what you suggested with a RTA mic and "Waterfall". Took out the hot freq. I understand about how can only get so loud prior to feedback. Problem is I havent been able to set up my entire rig to just play with for hours...dying to get my own place that will accommodate. Thank you for the suggestions. On a Side-Note the DPA+ does great with the AFS on the mains..was 6" away from the JBL 125 top with zero feedback. I will also use the 2nd channel of the AFS for a line for his mic and see if that will do anything.
  • Options
    Also I may have to upgrade the monitors...would a higher RMS be helpful? Since I'm only about 250 RMS with the Kustom passives 15" 's? They were cost-effective at the time, but if getting a better set of monitors will help, then I'm all for it. And again thank you so much for all the help.
  • Options
    I KNOW you use the DRPA+ for your mains, I'm telling you to take it out of the main setup (or simply disconnect 1 in and 1 out and set up the monitors and put the DRPA+ back into the Mains system.

Yes better monitors will help, doesn't help to have poor monitors to begin with...

Are you looking for recommendations? If so what is your budget, and 250 watts isn't helping your monitor situation, have that much on my monitor HORNS!
  • Options
    Apologies for the misunderstanding on your previous post.

As far as price wise...I've been looking around the $300 range from Musician's Friend/Guitar Center/Sweetwater/Sam Ash. I may however circumvent the whole ordeal and just get in-ears. If I buy more wedges, I hear Peavey with the black widow speakers is decent, I wish I could afford the Yamaha club series but at $700/per is just too pricey.
  • Options
    You would be FAR better off to avoid all those and just get the Behringer...yes I said Behringer, B212D powered speakers, and at $229 they are a steal... the IEM idea would be better, but in the mean time the Driverack can show you how to tune your monitors.. as I said transfer the auto EQ from the DRPA to the 231 Eq...