Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

JBL MRX SYSTEM > MONO or STEREO?

soodeejaysoodeejay Posts: 5
edited June 2012 in PA General Discussion
Hello All,

This is my first time posting so excuse any ignorance in my questions. I have the following gear and unfortunately, do not have a 2nd amplifier at the moment:

(1) DBX Driverack PA+
(1) QSC PLX3102 Amp
(2) JBL MRX 515 Tops
(2) JBL MRX 518 Bottoms

Now, I tried hooking this system up by going from my mixer (Stereo, R/L) with both XLR Patch cables going into the DRPA+ inputs. From there I used a "Y" XLR Cable from the High L/R outputs to Channel 1 on the 3102 to drive the tops, and another "Y" XLR Cable from the R/L-MONO outputs into Channel 2.

I went through the wizard and set them up like I would if I had 2 of the same 3102 amps, matching the gain structure to the physical unit, etc. in STEREO LINKED. I tried it and it sounded OK, but am I risking anything by sending a stereo signal to one channel? Or should I set the EQ to MONO OPERATION in the wizard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am purchasing a 3602 in a couple months, but until then...

Thanks Everyone! :shock:

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ignorance is NOT having a question...

Consider this, with the pan controls centered on the mixer you are sending mono signals out of the mixer.

No your not risking anything, you could be setting yourself up for cancellations however, and impedance mismatching.

Why not set up the DRPA for dual mono, feed the left or right (or preferably a mono out of the mixer if you have it) into the left input of the DRPA, feed one of the Aux outputs into the right input of the DRPA. you now have Aux fed subs, ONLY those things you want in the subs are fed to them and you have TOTAL control of just how much of these things are in the subs...

You now can also EQ the subs separately with the GEQ and a pair of PEQ's... :wink:
  • Options
    soodeejaysoodeejay Posts: 5
    Thanks Gadget

I will probably be running everything through a basic Numark CDMIX 3, which has XLR R/L ouputs, and also booth outputs. Would the booth output be similar to AUX where I can send a signal to my subs?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    hmmm the idea of aux fed subs is more for livesound, and I'm not sure it would be necessary fopr you since everything is already mixed down..
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I suppose that you could run out the CD player into a x-over. The send the split signals to their respective channels on the mixer. That would simply give you band volume control, but you have that with the gains on the DR's x-over bands. Try it. You may hate it. :?

DRA