Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

DRPA+ Auto EQ with JBL PRX612m's

uhdinatoruhdinator Posts: 20
edited September 2013 in PA General Discussion
Strange that when doing the outdoor method of Auto EQ on the PRX612m every freq from around 125z to about 10K came out at +3db except 200hz, 800hz were at +2db and 10khz -4db, with -12 db cut from 12k-20k..

I'm wondering if there is DSP compensation in the cab that already flattens its response?
Ive never seen a speaker be this flat? I expected the levels to be all over the place.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Was the EQ Boost engaged? Was is set for Mains or Monitors?

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    There is DSP in the PRX speakers...The 12dB cut is very unusual and should be looked at with suspicion...Can you detail your setup, volume, mic position, was there ANY concrete or trees or anything anywhere near the speakers.. one speaker only?

How did it sound afterwards? Can't believe that with a full cut from 12-20khz it sounded worth a crap...
  • Options
    I usually set the top end and the sub EQ by ear. Only one speaker used on a stand
    outside on a second story deck. Had the speaker and mic up pretty high to avoid reflections
    from the deck. Mic at about 5' high directed and center of speaker grill about 4 feet from front of speaker. Had preset for prx612m/prx618xlf /2x3. The sub was not on/used for the auto eq.
    The speakers sound good to me with no EQ's on.
    I was only concerned with auto eq in the 125hz-12khz to see what the speaker response looked like to adjust for anything that was way off. I can live with how they sound with no EQ.
    Also the bands below 125hz were cut way back (I expected them to be boosted since no sub
    was on. I usually ignore the extreme high/low due to using MY DRPA which i read is not very accurate in those areas. THIS system is not mine and is the DRPA+. I assummed it must be better than my older DRPA as the DRPA+ went thru the auto eq very quickly with a high res setting.

My system is a DRPA with a pair PRX415m passives. I have not auto eq'd these yet.
    They do sound great to me with no EQ on at all in the DRPA HF side.
  • Options
    You didn't answer my questions about the "Boost" of Main/Monitor selection.

If the Boost was on it could cause the frequencies list to be Boosted by the speaker then cut by the driverack. I bet the Monitor selection is just the opposite of the Boost setting.

DRA
  • Options
    outside on a second story deck. Had the speaker and mic up pretty high to avoid reflections
    from the deck. Mic at about 5' high directed and center of speaker grill about 4 feet from front of speaker. Had preset for prx612m/prx618xlf /2x3. The sub was not on/used for the auto eq.

Nope... that won't work...
    I usually ignore the extreme high/low due to using MY DRPA which i read is not very accurate in those areas.

Nope again, the MIC is the weak point in the LF and HF region but plenty good enough for "Rock and Roll"!

I assume you were using the flat preset...

You should try it speaker @ about 4~feet high and the mic on the deck on a towel or carpet, mic out about 25 feet if possible.

Looks like there was buildup from some walls and whatnot around the speaker, thus the cut below 125...If the response curve is to be believed the response increases below 125 hz to peak @ 90 hz but then falls off to -5dB @ 60hz and 12-13dB down @ 50hz...with no processing. I see they have NO tone controls to worry about...
  • Options
    Okay, so I did it wrong with mic placement. I'll lay the mic on the ground on a carpet square and run a 25' cable to it from the DRPA and try that. Yes the PEQ's were off or set flat and the GEQ was set to flatten. Using just one speaker will work fine correct? Preset is using stereo linked EQ.
    I'll do it without sub as I usually PEQ the LF by ear (live sound application so LF is mostly Kick).
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Was the EQ Boost engaged? Was is set for Mains or Monitors?

DRA
    Dra wrote:
    You didn't answer my questions about the "Boost" of Main/Monitor selection.

If the Boost was on it could cause the frequencies list to be Boosted by the speaker then cut by the driverack. I bet the Monitor selection is just the opposite of the Boost setting.

DRA

Last request. :|
  • Options
    I believe Mr Dra is asking if the monitor/mains button was depressed, but Dra, I would like to point out that in the monitor position the speakers are set up to ELIMINATE the proximity/bass boost offered by the boundary when in the monitor position.... this would LOWER the bass response of the speakers making it MORE likely that the Auto EQ would raise the bass frequencies outdoors.. I still think there is boundary interaction at his location...since the bass frequencies were squashed:
    Also the bands below 125hz were cut way back (I expected them to be boosted since no sub

I did an interesting thing the other day... In the venue, I left the room effect PEQ's (5, 4 on the tops and 1 on the subs ... 12" 2way powered and EV s181 subs)that I know this particular room possesses in place, and then did an auto Eq (DR260)...The results were particularly excellent! I often record the bands I do with the Presonus 16:4:2 capture software, but this time I recorded using a 2 track Presonus USB Pre to my laptop running Soundforge 10...the recording was particularly good, and sounded like the mains did out front (I can mix remotely using an Ipad and walk the venue which is a total GAS!). Since the system is in mono I was able to pan the elements around and the recording blew the band away! I was quite pleased myself... best the system has sounded in 2 years!
  • Options
    Now that I re-read your posts I thought you were on a rooftop, but you said balcony so I assume there were walls behind your speakers and that is what causes the standing waves that cut the bass response below 125hz...

For true outdoor Auto Eq you need to have NOTHING near you for a very long distance...like out in a farm field...and no hard surfaces on the ground either...
  • Options
    Sorry thought i mentioned..............There is no EQ boost, just main/mon and mic/line buttons and an in/out jack.

Makes sense that the bass is reflecting out the back port off the wall. I will review procedures and it should fix all. I'll make sure nothing is behind the cab.
  • Options
    ..............There is no EQ boost, just main/mon

Actually the main/mon switch on the back of the prx is an EQ boost. When on the floor it should be switched to monitor to reduce the bass boost from the floor.