Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Crossover Point Suggestion

mclir9mclir9 Posts: 51
I am running a Tri-amp'ed system with (2) Peavey SP2 and (2) Yamaha SW112V's. I have a QSC850 powering the Highs, EP2500 powering the Mid's, and EP4000 powering the Subs. What do you suggest for X-Over points?? Yamaha suggests 90 for the subs. Playing Rock/Metal music.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I could have sworn that gadget had a SP2 bi-amp FAQ, but I couldn't find it.

The SP2 specs state a 1.8K @ 12db slope (probably BW). You might get away with a 1.5K using 24 or higher LR slope if properly limited. Or, leave it at 1.8K 24LR and gain a little power handling, or increase to 2K and gain a little more.

I remember SP series cabs with 1.2K and 2K x-overs over the years. I believe the rating of the cab was lower back when they crossed at the lower frequency.

Gadget should jump in soon.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    SP218 subs and SW112 tops? if not why 2 different tops? What subs.. there's mysteries afoot here...
  • Options
    I think there is a typo on the Yamahas. 118v's probably, to go with the SP2's.

DRA
  • Options
    No sense speculating since the size of the midrange and power available will determine the crossover point... there is a Sp 2 and 118 sub setup in the FAQ's :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Doah! :roll: didn't notice the 2nd page.
  • Options
    Yep, sorry about that it is a type should be Yamaha SW118V's not 112.
  • Options
    Hi Gadget, I went to the FAQ and found the article "Bi amping a Peavey SP cabinet with Speakon connectors..." which is very informative, but I am Tri-amping 2x5, not 2x4. Right now I have my settings at Subs(30BW18 for Highpass and 90LR24 for Lowpass), Midrange(106LR24 for Highpass and 1.80LR24 for Lowpass), High(1.80LR24 for Highpass).
  • Options
    Also, since I have upgraded from EP2500 running (2) PV118's to a EP4000 running (2) Yamaha SW118V's.... do I need to go through the whole System Setup Wizard again and setup a whole new program??
  • Options
    Well we have some troublesome figures to deal with here...The PEAK power you would want to have is 1200 watts per speaker and YOU are supplying 2000 watts... the 10 dB down point is 30 hz... you are using that WITH the too much power.. your going to hurt those subs... especially with CD music...which is heavily compressed. This can raise the average power the speakers see, and can cause the voice coils to overheat...use of limiters can exacerbate the problem.

The 1800 hz crossover point is fine for a 1.75 or 2" voice coil with a 24dB LR filter behind it... if you choose a lower slope you may have problems. Remember that a BW 18 is a good slope for subs, and LR is a good crossover for mids/highs unless you have skills in tuning.

No, you don't have to redo the preset but I would raise the HPF to at least 40 hz BW 18...

Now, lets look at the low mid... did you realize you have only 450 watts to drive that 4" voice coil in the SP2? that is actually a bigger more powerful woofer than in the SW118V... If you were to go bridged mono you would have 1200 watts per lo mid? If you run stereo you need to raise the HPF/LPF point to 118hz LR24...if you run Bridged 100hz LR24 or perhaps even 90hz would be ok...

Simply enter the xover and raise the Xover points to what we discussed and save the changes...
  • Options
    Should I go ahead and setup the 4000AMP as Parallel instead of bridged to bring it down to 950W per channel?? Or, I have the original EP2500 that was running my PV118's just laying around doing nothing.
    "Now, lets look at the low mid... did you realize you have only 450 watts to drive that 4" voice coil in the SP2?" I actually have the low mid being driven by an EP2500 in Bridged Mode. The QSX850 is driving the horns in the SP2 in stereo. Actually, you helped me setup this triamp system way back like 3 or 4 years ago.
  • Options
    Yamaha Subs are 600W/1200W and the SP2's are 1000W/2000W... I am probably gonna switch the Amps and put the EP2500 on the subs and the EP4000 on the SP2's.
  • Options
    That's what I was going to suggest...hope you aren't bummed I didn't remember your setup :mrgreen:, So are you saying use 2 EP2500's then? because otherwise your subs won't be able to keep up with the tops in any way shape or form. hose boxes are perhaps good enough to take a better woofer that would increase the power handling? (as long as they are made of 3/4" Plywood and not particleboard...

If you go with the single 2500 in bridge mode you would have the right amount of power but the tops in stereo would only have 550 watts (8 ohms) and in bridge mode you would have 2000 watts per cab (15") ...but you would CRUSH the subs with little effort...

For about $400 you could add these to the cabinets and add 2 1/2 times the power handling and nearly double the output.

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product ... A-PRO-18A/
  • Options
    Well, I would be using 1 EP2500 in Bridged Mode to power the Yamaha Subs, 1 EP4000 in Bridged Mode to power the SP2 15" Speakers, and 1 QSX850 in Stereo to power the Horns in the SP2's. Should I just leave the EP4000 out of the mix all together and just do EP2500 Bridged for Subs, EP2500 Bridged for SP2 15" Mids, and QCS850 Stereo for Horns??
  • Options
    If that's what you want to do... and your going to be playing pre recorded music the 4000 would under normal circumstances be too much power... the fact is that I believe the 2500 and 4000 are essentially the same amp, re-badged with a PEAK power rating. If your careful you could use the 400 on the subs...
  • Options
    We're a live band, no prerecorded music involved.
  • Options
    Well you have way more tops than subs so I guess keep the 4000 and raise the HPF to 50 hz BW18...
  • Options
    Keep the 4,000 on the Subs or put it on the SP2's 15" Mids??
  • Options
    Keep the 4000 on the subs and the 2500 on the mids...both bridged...As I said, the 4000 is likely the SAME amp...