Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Expander/gate Q

marktmarkt Posts: 18
I've gotten used to, and really like the quality of the expander/gate on my 286s mic pre.

I'm getting a stand alone preamp soon, and I don't know a lot about DBX gear outside of the 286. Is there an expander/gate only that anyone could recommend for me to insert into my new pre?

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Studio or live sound?
  • Options
    Check out the Cloudlifter by Cloud Microphone. There are videos on Youtube, by users and by the company. Pretty amazing. One of a guy using it with an SM57 in an untreated apartment room for voiceover work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YYL0njo ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R71JOxQdgg0

amoung others

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks for the response Dra, but amplifying signal from my mic isn't really my concern. I am interested in recommendations for a stand-alone expander/gate that I can insert into a preamp. I'm sure the DBX makes one, but I really need some guidance in which one to get.

BTW, I'll be using this for voice over in a home studio setting.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know. I got confused. :? Too early I guess. Nice piece of gear though, especially for the money.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Expander/gate is typically a function of a device like a compressor, mixer, or combination device. I don't recall seeing (and I peruse the equipment catalogs, sites and mags) and there isn't really any stand alone devices. I have that function, on my Presonus, my comps...but nothing stand alone.

Even a google search leads you to nothing but the features in other devices.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, Gadget. As I say, the only one (exp/gate) I've been used to is on my 286s.

How about the DBX 266xs? I know I'm asking a lot, but would you please take a look at it? Do you think that might have a familiar feel for me?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Options
    In have a 286 and I have to tell you I never really liked it that much. Perhaps you could tell me exactly what it is you like about the Expander gate? Please be as specific as possible what it is you are looking for, what the expander does for you.

Of late I have become infatuated by the Presonus products, and the sound I get from them. I have to tell you I come from a recording studio background and the Presonus products have given me a renewed interest in recording because the sound both live and in the studio is so incredible.

So let us know what your looking to accomplish, or what sound your looking for.
    Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget,
    I guess what I like about the expander gate feature on my 286 is it's simplicity. With just the adjustment of two knobs I can dial out just enough room noise to make it virtually undetectable during my voiceover work. And, the results are smooth and very natural sounding. The gate on my DAW sounds choppy and doesn't quite fit the bill for me. I prefer to do my gating pre-DAW. I figured that any other DBX compressor with an expander gate (266xs) that I could insert into another pre would be just as good as the one on my 286 if not better.

As to the Presonus products, I had considered getting a Eureka channel strip, but once again, I did not notice an expander gate feature on it.

So, as you asked, my bottom line is: I want to upgrade my preamp to either a good standalone unit that I can insert an expander gate into, or get another channel strip with an expander date.
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    Which DAW are you using and what type of voice over are you doing? the reason I ask is with the Presonus console and my Audiobox USB the recordings (even with 16 open mic channels is as quiet as death... no gating, compression, downward expanding necessary...but the consoles HAVE these features.. and the Presonus compressors are are so transparent even with a 5-8 dB of smash you can hardly detect the process...

I know the 286 is noisy... perhaps as you said a better Pre is in order...
  • Options
    I use a DAW called Twistedwave, and I do all types of voiceover from gaming to commercials to PSA's, etc.

I know that you have the console but I don't need, nor can I afford, anything that expansive or involved. I only need one channel.

Do you have an opinion on the quality of the Presonus Eureka, or even the Focusrite ISA one?
  • Options
    I guess what I was trying to say is the USB PRE (about$100) is quiet as death.. The Eureka is a killer box with a lot of features, but what about something like the 22VSL or Studio Mobile Pre that come with Studio one, a AWESOME DAW that you could upgrade and have Studio one Pro with ALL the bells and whistles (and let me tell you there are plugins GALORE that will bring you to a WHOLE new level of production!) You can even download the FREE studio one 2 channel version to try if you wish, and even if you got the above mentioned pre's and studio 1 pro still be about the same price as the Eureka!

That's my recommendation!
    \G
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help man! Maybe I'll try that free download…