Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

sound in movie theators

jthunderbassjthunderbass Posts: 60
edited October 2012 in dbx Archive General Discussion
I am going to be doing sound in a movie theator for a church. its kind of a new thing around Fargo.
I am wondering if the auto eq on the Driverack PA would be effective? Would I be better off doing the auto eq using the indoor methode, or should I try to come up with a differnt way of doing it.
If I can find out what speakers they are using, Ill just buy one of the wall speakers and do the auto eq outdoors and then eq by ear, then Ill be set!!!!
Signal chain will be the new Berhinger digital board, driverack pa, theator speakers.
Honestly I would have rather seen them buy the SL 24.4.2, but when a church is just starting out they cant afford to spend $3000.00 on a boiard. If they haven tbought the mixer yet, Im going to do everythiung I can to convince them to go the Presonus route.
If I cannot get the speakers to sound good Im gonna bring my sounbd system. I should be able to get good sound from them, since I will be doing sound every sunday there.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I am kind of supprised that the theater is letting you use their system. I can't imagine not being able make it work.
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    A typical theater system has Left-Center-Right as well as subs behind the screen and surround speakers through out the house. How do you plan to tap into the system? It will have several inputs.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Talked to a pretty knowledgeable guy over in Germany that has used the X32...he owns the SL24 and says there is absolutely NO comparison. He said the X32 sounds like awful after using the SL. He also agree's that the Presonus sounds better than the Yamaha desks up to and including the M7CL (without an external clock) and even the Allen and Heath GJD, all of which he uses on a daily basis, he only uses the other consoles when he has more inputs than he can get with the SL.

BTW the Behringer for a church.. with volunteer sound people... not a good idea.. way too complex for most!
  • Should have mentioned. I will be doing sound most if not all sundays. The pastor wants to keep the amount of people doing production to a minimum because when you go to a church you can pretty much tell who is doing sound just by how it sounds, do to the fact that its volunteers and they probably are more of hobby audio guys and dont get enough practice.
    Practicing once a month for 2 hours will never help you develop your tallents and skills.
    I am not sure as of yet how we will be tieing into the speakers. I am going to try to do a left center right kind of thing, and then if I can, Im going to do Aux fed subs. Ill have to use an Aux send for the center speakers, but that might not work the best unless I go buy another Driverack.
    Im still waiting to find out more info.
    I was surprised that they are going to let us use the theator speakers as well.
    I would much rather have the SL 24.4.2, but it wasnt my decision to buy the desk. If I had been involved in the decision process I would have said to go Presonus all the way. It may not have motorised faders, but you dont need them when you have a fader per channel and its set up kind of like an analog desk. Plus if Im correct, cant you adjust channel leval with and Ipad even though the faders dont move on there own?
    Im just nervous about it because Berhinger has always had a reputation for not being the highest quality.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You could use the submasters as LCR too...
  • Well we had our first sunday with the Berhinger mixer. It has a learning curve, thats for sure. It does have alot of great. Features, it has alot of well thought out features, but certain things are confusing.
    One thing that really bugs me is that you cannot do any kind of compression or eqing or limiting on the Sub Groups. That might become an issue. Ill put a more detailed post soon.