Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

amp power recommendation

Edreams75Edreams75 Posts: 29
edited July 2012 in PA General Discussion
I'm looking at replacing my crappy b52 mains with a pair of peavey sp2bx. they are rated at 500/1000/2000. i have one crown xls1500 and i think I'm going to get another one. ill run each xls1500 in bridged mono, one amp for each speaker, putting out 1050w @ 8ohms. this is for live sound reinforcement..... vocals, guitars, bass, drums and synth. is this too much power, not enough or right where it needs to be?

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Using subs?

DRA
  • Options
    Yes a pair of crappy b52 subs that is next in the list to replace. But for now that's what I'll be using
  • Options
    I thought I saw an equipment list, but it didn't show in the reply window. Sorry about that.

Should be good power wise. The QSC amp selector says that is perfect. If you clip you will be exceeding the peek rating of the speakers however.

DRA
  • Options
    So should I go to the xls1000 instead, puts out 700w @8ohms bridged mono. If clipping is going to exceed the speaker it will damage them. Or would the onboard limiter protect the speakers. When I replace the subs I'm going with peavey sp118, 600/1200/2400. I'm gonna run them on a crown xls2500, 2400w @4ohms bridged mono. Each sub wild get 1200w. Is this set up good for the subs
  • Options
    The limiters will prevent the clip. I just stated... "Don't clip", as standard procedure.
  • Options
    thanks for the help. would the sub set up i described be good?
  • Options
    1 top : 1 sub ratio will typically never balance for R&R given equal output capacity & power. You may have to dial back the SP2's to achieve balance. If that is not enough volume then more subs are in order.
  • Options
    Ok, if that's the case would it then be better to go with 2 xls1000's bridged mono @700w @8ohms per speaker and then the xls2500 on the subs @2400w @4ohms....1200w a sub
  • Options
    There are smart people on both sides of the power arguement. The problem is.. they're both right.

Let's say you will give 700w to your cab. Is it best to use a 400w amp, 700w amp, a 1000w amp, or a 2000w amp?

400w amp - obviously not. It will output about 800w when clipping but audio will be horrible.
    700w amp - Seems like a good match, but the amp is maxed (but not clipping) and if you push it you can definately damage speakers by the clipping power being too much.
    1000w amp - A good match with power to spare, with the same "if you push it" scenario.
    2000w amp - Tempation is a powerful thing. Damaged speakers will result, even without clipping.

Is the 400w amp the wrong amp? No, if you stay away from clipping and it is loud enough. The biggest advantage is your speakers will last forever. If you drive into hard clipping, the speakers will be toast.
    Is the 2000w amp the wrong amp? No, if you refrain from giving more than the neccessary power.

DRA
  • Options
    Ok makes sense. What should I do about the subs, should I let the pa+ find the amp level balance or get a bigger amp (more watts) for the subs? Buying more than 2 subs isn't an option due to cost
  • Options
    Is a SP218 an option? You'll save about $200.
  • Options
    We as a band have been tossing the 2 sp118's or 1 sp218 idea around. Either way it's 2 18" subs.....both will handle the same power.
  • Options
    That's why I asked. If you buy 2) 118's now and decide to get two more down the road you'll have spent an extra $400 or so (over a pair of 218's) that could go to another amp, or in your pocket.

DRA
  • Options
    Yeah very true, which is why the idea is still being tossed around. Plus I had talked to gadget and was told you'll get better low end out of the sp218.