Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Compression help

mcevill1mcevill1 Posts: 5
Hi, I am new to sound reinforcement and I just bought a couple of DBX266xs's. I would appreciate if someone would help me with a few tips on compression starting settings for a kick and a vocal. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I can't help you out, but have you done a search? It seems that Gadget has done this in a prior post.

DRA
  • Options
    mcevill1mcevill1 Posts: 5
    I did search but I'm not sure if I searched correctly. I'll try again. Thanks
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    search.php

I typed "266" in the keyword field and got a ton of returns.

DRA
  • Options
    Threshold is the point at wich it begins compressing, attack is how fast it hits, release is how long it holds. If you have a guy who is very dynamic do a higher ratio and if he is very controlled do a lower ratio. Makeup gain is almost like a volume boost. Use it to makeup the volume you may have lost from compressing
    A good place to start on a kick is say probably around 2:1 and for vocals try starting at 4:1. Hope that helps
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. I have had some very good success and I think it is going to help me a lot with what I needed it for.
  • Options
    dbx has a great white paper about compression that may help as well:

ftp://ftp.dbxpro.com/pub/PDFs/WhitePape ... %20101.pdf

jthunderbass's ratios are spot on as a starting point.

C
  • Options
    Thanks Cory. That link was spot on
  • Options
    Excellent...glad it helped.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hey Coop! Hows things? :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Pretty good G...just hanging around this summer. I think I watched ALL of the Olympics!

How's things with you?