Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Connecting pa+ with powered mixer (specifics)

DcaugustDcaugust Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in PA Connectivity
I was reading some responses to other threads and it somewhat applies to what I want to do
with my setup, so I figured I would ask.here is what I have:

Behringer pmp6000 (powered mixer)
2 jbl JRX115's

Now I recently purchased:
18 in seismic audio powered sub
Dbx pa+

I want to be able to send just my highs and mids to the jbl's and just my
lows to the sub, but I don't know if this is possible because I have a
powered mixer and I am not completely sure how to insert the dbx between
the amp and the mixer when it is all together. It was mentioned in another thread about converting the
balanced xlr to 1/4 in. And I was not sure what was meant by
converting...do you just mean get a cable the is xlr to 1/4?... I know I
sound stupid, but it seems like you guys are the people that can help me get this
setup the right way. I was also reading my pmp user manual and i think i can go through the power amp connectors with a trs cable, but i don't know if i need a y cable or when that has 2 trs on each end.I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    That would require a "pre-amp out power-Amp in port on the mixer and I couldn't tell from any of the useless literature if it does...
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    This doesn't help after the fact, but who advises you on equipment purchases? Whoever it is, fire them.

As Gadget said, you have to have those to connection points (post main fader / pre amp output, and a pre amp input) Sometimes called "power amp out" and "power amp in".

Check out items 58-61 in the manual. I didn't have time to study it too hard. But that is a start.

DRA
  • Options
    pre amp > out, power amp > in...

The idea is to get through the processing section and allow an inserted device before the power amp stage...
  • Options
    There is a power amp L and R put not an input and output. In the manual it says this is where you can hook up external eq's and processors, but I'm not sure how to connect the pa+ to this. I.e. what cables do I need.i thought I needed inserts, but there is no 1/4 in connections on the pa+, there are only xlr connections?thanks for the responses.would it be smarter to just sell me pmp6000 and get the Allen and Heath ZED 16fx and then use power amps?i feel like everything would work better that way.
  • Options
    worst documentation ever... still can't make any sense of it ... is there an insert on the master section?
  • Options
    Yes, there are main outputs (58 & 59) and main inserts (60 & 61). Not sure if the "Inserts" are traditional in & out, or the place to insert back in from the main outputs.
  • Options
    Inserts should theoretically be inserts ... if so then you would need 2 of something like this...

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Patch ... heet.shtml
  • Options
    You must verify in the spec page of the manual, whether the TIP is OUTPUT or the RING is OUTPUT. The XLR's are not reversable. Audiopile has cables configured for both. Get the correct one. Get at least a 10', or at least longer than you think you need.

The OUTPUT has to go to the female XLR for the DR.

DRA
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the help!! It's nice that you're willing to take the time to help someone that is nowhere near a knowledgeable a you!
  • Options
    Gadget is the head honcho around here, but thanks for the kind words. However, knowledge is relative.

I may have seemed snobbish in my 1st reply about firing whoever recommended your equipment. That was not a shot a B'ger or anything else, but for the fact that they recommended gear that you didn't know how to, or even if it would be able to be hooked up.

DRA