Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

RTA wizard question

SonicSoundVWSonicSoundVW Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in PA General Discussion
after i set up the crossovers and do the auto level, how do you use the RTA wizard with a 2 way system with summed sub and tops? prefer stereo. for the tops.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2986

You should read the START HERE thread and THE FAQ's in the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POPSTING section..

Much of what you need to know to make this a success is there.
  • Options
    i have read almost every post in the FAQ section a time or two, i auto EQed my tops ( outside mic pointed at speaker about 10 ft away ) prior to my sub showing up today, did an amazing job to i might add. So i just do the same thing but set the sub outside inline with the top and point the mic in between where the top and sub is about 8-12 ft away?
  • Options
    Is there ANY buildings, walls fences concrete where your near the test site? because if there is it will ruin the Auto EQ for the low end... and even if there isn't you may find that lowering the level of the subs for the test will elicit better results...

But try it ioth ways and see, the hallmark will be if there is a total squashing of the bass, or multiple bands that are cut or boosted... especially adjacent bands or groups of bands. Remember that the ground will give you a frequency dependent 3dB boost of the low end and that is a part of the difficulty of LF auto EQ.. So, try some different things...what sounds best is best.
  • Options
    i noticed in one of the posts on the faq that you say " yes its that picky " but i didn't realize it was THAT picky lol. funny thing is i live in the city, when i did my tops somebody thought their was a gas leak.. i am around houses but if i set up the sub and one top in the grass they would be 15ft away from my house and the abandoned house next door. with the mic pointed between the sub and top about 7-10 ft away. i can also put the sub on a wheel cart so its 2 inches or so off of the grass. would that suffice? or should i not even bother and see if i can get a real outdoor situation to do it? how do you guys do it? lol
  • Options
    Well, I live in BFE and I have a few acre field right next to the house... buit in all honesty the measurement mic isn't very accurate in the extreme LF and HF area so I generally suggest you EQ the subs by ear...

You probably saw where I indicated a couple of PEQ's, one @ 60 hz with a Q of about 4-5 and try a cut of say 3-4dB and you can move that up and down and see what that yields, then fine tune with gain and Q movements till you get the sound you want. I generally try and get the BOOM out with the PEQ and generally front loaded subs are 60hz and 100 hz heavy.

Getting them off the ground that small amt won't help...the general rune of thumb is 1/4 of the wavelength of the lowest frequency you want to cut off at.. and that would be more than 3 feet...
  • Options
    ah ok.. cool.. thanks :D. one thing i noticed by messing around with the crossover ( currently set at 90hz LR12 ) is if i go crazy and set the crossover at 71.5hz or the one below that 67hz? that when i push my system i feel more bass. of course 90hz sounds better more blended and balanced but theirs less felt i guess you could say. ( im a bass head lol ) ive also noticed that my systems volume is limited to my sub and or the amp powering it. makes me think i should have gotten something different for the low end. still sounds amazing tho.
  • Options
    YA your running out of headroom.. and I recommend going to LR24 and setting the crossover point closer to 100 hz...