Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Trouble shoot new PA

KentOnDrumsKentOnDrums Posts: 30
edited September 2012 in PA General Discussion
Hi, took my new PA to a ball field to try to do Auto EQ outside. After multiple attempts I was not able to complete the Auto EQ process. I'm wondering if the mic may be bad?...

Followed the set up process multiple times, but AutoEQ never completed. Noticed that no matter what I did the mic level almost never showed a signal (black bar). I'm wondering if the mic is bad??? Once in a while a quick black bar would flash, but normally nothing.

I swapped mic cords, but no change. I thought about plugging the DBX mic into my Yammy mixer, but Yamaha is 48V phantom and DBX shows 15 volts, so I did not try this.

Is there anyway to test the mic? Any other suggestions short of returning the unit as defective?

Thanks, Kent

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    There are 2 things can cause the "Not done" message

1. More than 4 fully boosted or cut EQ bands (more on this later)

2. You have chosen a dual mono setup and the Driverack is wanting to do the other channel...

The former, can easily be checked by pressing the [EQ] button successively till the GEQ appears in the display. Then, look for fully cut or boosted EQ bands...If there are 4 or more ... there is your problem.

Then we have to find out what happened to cause the problem...hint...if the speakers can't do fullrange operation ( 50-20,000 hz... which few can) but say can do 80hz to 18K with reasonable accuracy...that still leaves 4 below 80hz alone...
  • Options
    Thank you Gadget. I had the PX set to stereo with single sub. But I only brought one speaker and the sub for the test. I connected both the K10 and Ksub to Left outs.

So your first point may have been an issue. And if the system requires two speakers for an outside text, that would have been an issue too.

Thanks again for any comments on where I may be off track. Kent
  • Options
    Nope... do NOT use 2 speakers sets!!! more later...
  • Options
    ...thanks for the help. After a troubleshooting call with DBX customer service, it turns out the RTA input is bad on my unit. I went to GC today to pick up a new unit, so back to square one.
  • Options
    It happens... keep in touch and read the FAQ and "Start here" threads