Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Will a driverack pa do the job for my needs?

hydroboy40hydroboy40 Posts: 4
Hi-new guy here! I am thinking of purchasing a DBX DRPA(+?) to replace some of the components in my rack. I am not sure that it will do what i need though. Here is what i presently have- application is live music-classic rock- rooms that have 50-250 person capacity.
Mains are community sound XLT46(passive 3 way) driven with a Crown XLS 1500 mono signal both channels, subs are Community sound CSX 50(passive)-8 ohms per cab in parallel(4ohm load) into one side of a QSC GX5 mono signal. Processing is a Mackie 1604 VLZ board- mono out into BBE-231 EQ left channel to Dbx234XS(set up as stereo,left side/2 way) then fed to main and sub amps noted above(xover point is 150hz on subs-500hz for woofs-2k mids-18khz tweets). Monitors are sent from Mackie board to BBE EQ right channel then to Carvin DCM 2000 mono signal to 2 Community sound MVP28 and 2 older Yamaha 2 way floor monitors(both channels driven). I also have some older processing componants-Rane RA27,Alesis midiverbII, and a stereo Yamaha compressor. Will I have any problems running the mains and monitor systems thru the Driverack and lose the DBX crossover,Rane RTA, BBE equalizer, and Yamaha compressor?(and upgrading the delay)
So will the driverack split between the mains and monitors, RTA both,EQ both,limit/compress both and eliminate feedback points as advertised? Also free up some rack space for a power conditioner and lose some rack weight? :)

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Welcome. :D

First a couple a comments. Are you running the GX5 "bridged" or just using one side of the amp? If the latter, you are wasting 1/2 an amp and actually cutting the power to each speaker. Amps "control" speakers better at higher ohms also.
    You listed the the x-over points, but listed them oddly to the upper limits instead of the lower standard (except for the sub). The x-over points in a passive cab usually don't factor in, but it is good to know, nonetheless.
    Having said that... 150hz transition from sub to top is too high for these reasons:
    You're throwing away what a 15" speaker does best.
    A 150hz setpoint might benefit the vocal clarity, but the dedicated mid speaker will take care of that, so let's lower it.
    You get some vocals in the subs if crossed too high.
    Let the subs be subs (not low mids).

You list the sub as a CSX50 8 ohm. All I can find is a CSX50-S2 4 ohm.
    If you decide to get a driverack, setting should be something like this.
    Subs - 45hz BW18 - 100hz LR24
    Tops - 100hz LR24
    (Even if you stick with your current set-up lower the 150 to 100.

Now... the reason you came. Yes, as long as you are running a mono signal from the board you can set up the DRPA, DRPA+, and DR260 to run mains on one channel and the monitors on the other (but not the DRPX). Each channel will be totally independant, except for the AFS feedback feature (pick your priority or don't use at all, as what is done to one side it does to the other) and the compressor (which you should not use anyway).

The yamaha compressor can be inserted in a channel that needs compression (never compress the mix).

I will try too find the link to this set-up and post soon.

DRA
  • Options
    Here you go.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2228

Just because... have you considered the 260. A little more money, but laptop set-up and control makes a world of difference. Think mouse click and move an EQ fader vs. index, select, scroll, select, rotate. Plus, gain separate AFS feedback for mains AND monitors. One other cool thing and I'll end. The 260 charts and labels the feedback frequencies the AFS pulls out. This allows you to "group" close ones and assign a PEQ filter to cover them all, thus freeing up those filters for other more isolated problems.

Generally, Northern Light and Sound has the best prices. Full Compass can be good too (but you HAVE to call to get the best price). Last I checked 260 were $700-ish and DRPA were $400-ish. Check used on Ebay, etc. They normally gor for $.50 on the dollar.

A lot of people that have a 260, bought a DRPA first then realized that they should have gotten the 260. I am one of them. Not a regret, just a wish I would have been more patient and saved a little more. DRPA's have a place and are great. I bought a DRPA then , saved for a year and bought a 260 for FOH, and put the DRPA on monitors. Since I have added 2 more DRPA's. I have used them for monitor mixes, and even used them as input channel insert processors for troublesome sources (lectern mic for very sheepish speakers, etc) so I didn't destroy the over-all sound getting that one mic loud enough.

DA
  • Options
    Thanks for the response
    the Community CSX50 earlier version was an 8 ohm speaker/xover setup, the 150 hz xover point is in the passive xover-I have thoughts of adding a direct speakon jack xover bypass to each cab for active xover.
    the qsc gx series doesnt mention bridge capability- presently, the system is seeing 850 watts@4ohms single channel driven-the open channel can be used for a separate monitor mix,keyboard,etc.
    Also,i appreciate the info on driverack 260-it does sound like a more versatile tool-can you send speaker information to its setup wizard library for non-known speaker systems(like the ones I am using) or just default to "custom" setting? :idea:
    Are the driverack series updatable to newest version software when released?
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I do not think the GX series are bridgeable, and are not 2 ohm stable...
  • Options
    Did I put this discussion in the correct forum??> it looks as if it isnt in the DRPA forum, sorry! :oops:
  • Options
    The Wizards are mosting a selling hype, UNLESS you will be bi-amping your top speakers AND they have the info from the manufacturer.

They beauty of the 260's driveware GUI is that you can download it and play with it on your computer without it being connected to a unit. There is also a video demo that shows you many of the feature and navigation.

Upgrades are usually just to add speakers and amps to the list. Generally not needed.

DRA
  • Options
    You will not regret getting the DRPA or 260. :D
    I agree with Dra, if you lower. The x over points it will be a major improvement. Also having differtn X Over typs like LR and BW and the like also helps. One thing you could try is doing aux fed subs also. If your running mono and have enough aux sends for your needs. Gadget has written something about that on a post here, i dont remember where at the moment. I tennd to run a very light compression on the whole mix on my DRPA if for no other reason then to give it a little bit of warmth.
    I was a little confused when i read thatthe tweeters were crossed over at qi k, but then I figured you ment 1.8 k. Maybe I read wrong. One thing though, when you cross over the frequencies put a slight gap between the mids and highs. And also the lows and mids, then you can bring. Just a touch of frequencies with the parametric eq if the situation calls for it