Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Reality check for settings on new PA+

KentOnDrumsKentOnDrums Posts: 30
edited October 2012 in PA General Discussion
Hi, thanks to your advice I now have a PA+

Breakthrough: I was not able to get past the Setup Wizard without going through Auto EQ. DBX support showed me the magic button to skip Auto EQ, so life is good!

Doing sound on Friday for a charity fund raiser -- outdoors jam thing with several bands. The good news is I don't play drums, so I can experiment with the gear / PA+ to learn how it works and sounds out front.

Quick reality check if you guys can please weigh in on my planned configuration...

I intend to run both monitors and mains via PA+ in mono. Planning set up of...

Stereo inputs (one will be Aux for Monitors)
Dual Mono
Custom settings for powered speakers, sub / monitors... (mostly QSC K-series)
Bi-amp mains
Set DBX for two subs (will only use one sub, but figure the dual setting will allow me to isolate sub (mono FOH signal anyway) for FOH input in a single channel)
Intend to set Bi-amp for mains from MIDS at 100hz high pass - so I can run Right to FOH and Left to Monitprs. I realize -- as an option -- I could drop Bi-amp and have more control over Monitors by narrowing their frequency response to 170 - 12K Hz.
BTW: The QSC K-series speakers have built in crossovers, so with the exception of a high pass 40 Hz on the sub, the other speakers will be run mostly full range, allowing QSC to do the crossovers. Exception may be a high pass for Monitors and one side of mains coming out of the mid band. (I know as an alternative I can daisy chain FOH in mono. Just thinking having access to run FOH via a H Right and Mid Right gives a little more flexibility for how we run cables. We can then pull the Monits off of Mid Left.

Reality check: PEQ will be divided by HML (i.e. I can not control L vs R PEQ within just the miss)?

Thoughts welcome and greatly appreciated. Kent

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi Kent,
    Set DBX for two subs (will only use one sub, but figure the dual setting will allow me to isolate sub (mono FOH signal anyway) for FOH input in a single channel)

This will not work...remember, many of the DRPA+ functions are tied together inside the unit... If your going to run mono mains (2 way, tops and subs) AND mono monitor feed you will be using the ENTIRE left side for mains and the ENTIRE right side for monitors... only way it will work since you cannot assign inputs to outputs.. you would need the 260 for that...

The one possibility, and I haven't checked this out myself, but I do know that both low outputs do have signal when you select a 2x3 or 2x5... as to whether there is any residual right channel info there.. I don't know right now...

When running the scheme you want to have your mains on the left side to be able to use the low left sub AND the right channel MID outs for monitors.. this gives you the 3 PEQ's for main tops (conversely you could put the monitors on the hi outs to get the 3 PEQ's for the monitors, you would have to set the HP and LPF for the mains.

I recommend using the dbx for crossover purposes even though the QSC's have built in crossovers.. the reason is more selection, and better control of the crossover region with the dbx...
    BTW: The QSC K-series speakers have built in crossovers, so with the exception of a high pass 40 Hz on the sub, the other speakers will be run mostly full range, allowing QSC to do the crossovers. Exception may be a high pass for Monitors and one side of mains coming out of the mid band. (I know as an alternative I can daisy chain FOH in mono. Just thinking having access to run FOH via a H Right and Mid Right gives a little more flexibility for how we run cables. We can then pull the Monits off of Mid Left.

1. the subs have their own HPF so let it take care of that...
    2. use a fairly high LPF for the subs, say 150hz.. also an LPF (but only if you use the mid outs for monitors) can help save feedback headaches on monitors, say 10K5 -12khz..
    3. you have no choice if your going to run the mains/monitor scheme... you will either need a Y out of the driverack, or daisy chain the tops...
    Reality check: PEQ will be divided by HML (i.e. I can not control L vs R PEQ within just the miss)?

I have no idea what this means...
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Gadget wrote:

I have no idea what this means...

I think he meant to say "mids".
    The high PEQ is L&R (but you are only connecting L to Mains high, and nothing to R).
    The low PEQ is L&R (but only connecting L to Mains sub, and nothing to R).
    The mid PEQ is L&R (but you only are connecting R to monitors and nothing to L).
    The unused L&R outputs are still operational, but are effected by the PEQs of that output.
    So, correct. No separate L/R control for PEQs. (Or anything, except the GEQ, for that matter.)

DRA
  • Hi guys. Thank you for your incredibly fast responses! I think I have a decent handle on what and how. No better way to learn than to dig in and do a show. I may be back for more after Friday, but for now I "think" I know what to do. Best regards, Kent