Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion

Sub PLacement

mclir9mclir9 Posts: 51
I have (2) Yamaha 18" Subs and we are going to playing a show with a stage that is approximately 25' Wide, 12' Deep and 2' High. The stage is solid, meaning it actually has a front and sides covered with wood and carpet. Where would be the best place to put the subs for that chest pounding kick drum sound??

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    2 each 18" subs... chest pounding kick? (probably possible with the Nexo commercial subs but in a small room)...not likely to happen...not enough rig for that... to get the Most out of what you have... both subs together, up against a boundary, so, in front of the stage would be best. Against the back wall the delay to tops would be too great...

Two subs in near proximity to each other (within a foot or so) and they will couple, which gives you 3dB of free spl... that holds true for boundary walls as well...sitting on the floor gives 3dB a back wall adds an additional 3dB.. conversely, 3 feet off the floor cancels 3dB of sound as well as 3 feet from a back wall another 3dB lost, in a corner, up 3, in 3 and out 3 feet +9dB co cancellation... enough that you would NEVER hear the sub at all :shock:
  • mclir9mclir9 Posts: 51
    Awesome, thanks Gadget. I will place them together against the front of the stage. That way they are coupled, and have atleast 2 boundaries being the floor and a wall behind them.
    These are Yamaha SW118V's, running on an EP4000amp. I also have a pair of PV118's which are significantly less quality and power than the SW118's, but do you think there would be any benefit in chaining these to the Yamaha's?? Say running SW118 and PV118 from one channel and SW118 and PV118 from 2nd Channel??
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You might consider...
    Using both, but in a split band configuration.
    One set on each side of the amp. Basically a 3-way set-up: Top cabs - mid/hi, one set 18's - low/low mid, one set 18's - subs.
    Maybe dividing the 18's at 60-70hz.
    You'd probably be able to get more output with the power available and be a little safer.

DRA
  • mclir9mclir9 Posts: 51
    I'm already setup in a Triamp, lows-mids-highs, using a DRPA.
    4-way?
    Can't do 4 way with a DRPA...
    Why did think it would do 1x5? :? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Who? :mrgreen:
  • mixing subs is tough unless the specs match.
    I sometimes mix on a system that has horn loaded and front loaded subs. I have to run differnt xover points for each sub box. I would run the Peaveys and Yamaha subs at the show if the specs match.
    One thing you could try is yamahas on one side and Peaveys on the other, that might work.