Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

HELP! Crossover Issue

vmxgroovevmxgroove Posts: 8
edited November 2012 in PA Connectivity
I play in a 5 piece cover band. Rock mostly. Bought a PA system for our MAINS. Here is my configuration:

1 - Presonus Studio Live 16.4.2 Mixer
1 - DBX DriveRack PA+
1 - Crown xti 2000 Amp
1 - Crown xti 4000 Amp
2 - JBL JRX 125 Speakers
2 - JBL JRX 118S Subs

Having problems using my crossover in the DRPA+. I've run the wizard multiple times only to end up with the same result. The PA sounds weak and tinny. There is no MID RANGE at all. I have the LOW output feeding the AMP(xti 4000) for my SUBS(JRX 118S). I have the HIGH output feeding the AMP(xti 2000) for the TOPS(JRX 125). I selected ALL the correct speaker and amp models in setup. I have sufficient signal feeding my DRPA+. I see a good level on the meters but the system has no balls(pardon my expression). The TOPS are all highs and SUBS don't seem to thump much for the kick drum.

Now... When I run only the JRX 125s in FULL RANGE it sounds great. Good and strong. Just not enough LOW END. I thought adding the Subs would give us better LOWS. I've read all the info on this forum. I even tried putting the RTA mic on a towel. I even read all the stuff posted by Gadget. It all makes perfect sense but does not seem to work for my particular issue. When ever I try to run the PA in 4X2 mode it just sucks. I don't know how to explain it. I followed the instructions. I must be doing something wrong. I suspect that the problem is with my JRX 125 speakers. These units house a horn and 2 mid speakers. My DRPA+ is only sending HIGHS and making this BIG Speaker sound weak. How can I configure the Crossover to allow more MID into my JRX 125 speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Groove :)

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    It would be very useful to tell us what the settings are currently and as much detail as you can as to what you did while using the wizard. For example... "When I put the RTA mic on the stand at year level, centered between the speaker stacks during the Auto EQ..."

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Lets do the wizard again and this time set up a custom preset,
    Press the [Wizard] button...
    Select stereo, stereo for inputs (this gives you linked GEQ's)
    Select all the components as 'custom'
    load the new preset...
    Press the [preset] button (as a 'home' key)
    press the [xover] button
    toggle through till you are comfortable with where things are, noting that in the upper left corner of the display the (H) (M) and (L) and that as you toggle through they are highlighted as that section of the crossover is accessed...
    Highlight the (L) and set the HPF @45hz BW24 set the LPF @ 100 hz LR24
    Highlight the (H) and set the HPF @ 100 hz LR24 (this is then complimentary to the LPF of the subs)
    leave the gain of the crossovers alone and leave that to the gain structure later
    This will make sure that any and all other setup parameters are off ( like crossovers, limiters, input modules in general, and GEQ)
    this is the time for gain structure, or at least a "balance the setup" kind of thing...where you set how much bass vs tops you have, This is easily done with the gain knobs of the amps (or can be done using the xover gain of the DRPA+)
    Either way here is where you determine if there is STILL a problem...play music you know well, and turn up the bass amp till it ballances well with the tops...

How does it sound now? same problem?
  • Options
    Hi fellas,

Sorry for the late reply. I was away on vacation. Ok, so I tried the settings that you suggested. Working better. It seems that using the RTA mic was causing the problem. You were right Gadget. Your posts and information really help, thank you. I've read ALL of it. Because I'm not an advanced audio pro, much of it is over my head. I bought this DRPA+ hoping that it would do a lot of the work for me and speed PA setup at gigs. It appears that I was wrong. Manual programming of this unit seems to be the way to go. Unfortunately, I don't understand what and why many of settings do what they do. In reading other posts I've found that my JBL JRX speakers suck. Many people bashing that particular model, although they seem to sound fine for my purposes.

Do you guys have any further suggestions on how I can further improve my sound system? Specifically settings in the DRPA+. I'm thinking that by saving some basic settings as a user preset, I can get a good starting place when we set up for a gig. Perhaps I can somehow use my DRPA+ as a crossover only? Then do my EQ and stuff with the StudioLive desk. What do ya think?

Thanks again,
    Groove
  • Options
    The speakers that you have are the speakers that you have. The DRPA can make any sucky speaker less sucky.

DRA
  • Options
    Hi,
    I'm also a moderator and user of Presonus products, The 16.4.2 mixer and Audiobox USB.. which mixer do you have?
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm also a moderator and user of Presonus products, The 16.4.2 mixer and Audiobox USB.. which mixer do you have?

Hey Gadget, I have the Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 and love it. Great mixer and computer interface. I only wish it had a USB 3.0 connector for interface. It's getting hard to find PCs with firewire these days.
  • Options
    There are a few still..the Mac mini, there is also a thunderbolt to firewire converted that is tested and works fine, and a boatload of older stuff that will work. I particularly love the remote Ipad mixing.. standing on the stage mixing the monitor next to the artist... PRICELESS!
  • Options
    Yeah I don't really do the Mac thing anymore. Too expensive! We are all Windows PC here. This means finding a laptop with the NEC chipset for firewire. That is tough these days. I was able to build a PC with a Startec firewire card for our studio. When our band gigs, I bring along my 5 year old Alienware laptop. It still works great. I just plug in the firewire cable from my SL 16.4.2, and poof! 16 tracks of audio recording at the highest bit rates. I've really grown to love Presonus products. Thay make good stuff. We are not a pro band so easy setup is essential. We like to record our cover songs and put them up on YouTube just for fun. It's all LIVE performance. Here's the link, if you'd like to see the sound quality we get out of our StudioLive 16.4.2: https://www.youtube.com/user/VMXGroove
  • Options
    :mrgreen: Very Nice! :mrgreen:
    Ya the Presonus is the bomb isn't it? And actually it's the Texas Instrument chipsets your looking for. I too and PC (mostly) although I have an Ipad. i have a couple year old Lenova with a PCI express card I use and a tower I prefer, even on the road for it's 24" screen...not that much more to set up and carry but a HECK of a lot better and less fritzy if your going to do heavy lifting! :lol:
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    vmxgroove wrote:
    Do you guys have any further suggestions on how I can further improve my sound system? Specifically settings in the DRPA+. I'm thinking that by saving some basic settings as a user preset, I can get a good starting place when we set up for a gig.

If you can transport 1 JRX125, 1 JRX Sub, both of your Crown XTI's and your DRPA+ to Ventura, I can help you set up a baseline user preset with SMAART.
  • Options
    Wow! You better jump on that offer. :shock:

DRA
  • Options
    :mrgreen: nice! 8)