Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Q on PA+ and Auto EQ / RTA

KentOnDrumsKentOnDrums Posts: 30
edited November 2012 in PA General Discussion
Hi guys, back on the PA+ again. A few live performances under my belt now, and so far so good. While I'm using a number of features on the unit, I have not yet purchased an RTA mic.

Gadget made a recommendation before (Rational RTA-420), and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.

Our set up is not ideal (spkrs behind the band), and my use of the PA+ is outside its intended design (using one side for monitor and the other for mains, all mono). So here is my big question:

With an RTA mic, if I auto-EQ a speaker, what will I can I see visually when done? I.e., will I be able to see the response curve in graphic form (like when entering the EQ panel)?

Since we use the unit for both FOH and monitors, I'm thinking the greatest value I may be able to obtain from the RTA mic is to get a graphic representation for FOH and separately monitors, then take advantage of L / R + H M L and the parameteric EQs to manually EQ a few of the bad spots. Like use the mid-band + PEQ to tame the monitors, and say the high-band + PEQ to work on FOH (all set manually based on what I see graphically from an auto EQ session).

So again, my question is primarily aimed at will I see enough visually, and can what I see be useful to manually adjust a band (H M or L) to help???

Thanks for any insights. K

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Let's connect the dots. Every thing you said is correct, in how to use the Auto-EQ info (represented by the GEQ) to shift the alterations to the PEQs and setting the GEQ back to -0- (flat). The Auto-EQ is an "Auto" "EQ". What it does (automatically adjust the individual bands to achieve a flat response) is no different than using pink noise, a frequency analyzer, and manually moving the sliders by hand until the spectrum is flat. At the completion of the Auto-EQ process, if I recall correctly, the screen shows the "affected GEQ" or flatness results of the test. Which one it shows it set up by you. Where and how will be in the manual, or maybe Gadget remembers. If for some reason the wrong thing is displayed, simply go to the EQ screen to see the GEQ.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Let's connect the dots. Every thing you said is correct, in how to use the Auto-EQ info (represented by the GEQ) to shift the alterations to the PEQs and setting the GEQ back to -0- (flat). The Auto-EQ is an "Auto" "EQ". What it does (automatically adjust the individual bands to achieve a flat response) is no different than using pink noise, a frequency analyzer, and manually moving the sliders by hand until the spectrum is flat. At the completion of the Auto-EQ process, if I recall correctly, the screen shows the "affected GEQ" or flatness results of the test. Which one it shows it set up by you. Where and how will be in the manual, or maybe Gadget remembers. If for some reason the wrong thing is displayed, simply go to the EQ screen to see the GEQ.

DRA

Thanks DRA. I'll take a closer look at the manual. But your post was helpful. Kent
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    The product of the Auto Eq pass will be displayed on the EQ screen. Use the [preset] button like a home button after the Auto Eq pass... then press the [EQ] button and toggle to the GEQ. If your patient... and take your time you will be able to get good results with the PEQ's, just remember they are best used for broader moves...
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    The product of the Auto Eq pass will be displayed on the EQ screen. Use the [preset] button like a home button after the Auto Eq pass... then press the [EQ] button and toggle to the GEQ. If your patient... and take your time you will be able to get good results with the PEQ's, just remember they are best used for broader moves...
    Perfect. We mostly play in one venue, with very little time for set up prior to a show. So I just need to go in during off hours and take my time to get this dialed in. Best regards! kent
  • Options
    Do NOT use the method in the manual for auto EQ!
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    Do NOT use the method in the manual for auto EQ!
    Thanks. I've read a number of posts here, so good I'm good with that. This is a very helpful user forum!
  • Options
    You do know about the FAQ section where we break down all the aspects of audio production, rooms and PA systems.. especially where the dbx products are concerned...
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    You do know about the FAQ section where we break down all the aspects of audio production, rooms and PA systems.. especially where the dbx products are concerned...
    Yes, thank you. Honesty I read a lot of this info prior to purchasing the unit. Now with practical experience under my belt, I should revisit.